Game Day Round 3: QClash(?) Suns vs Lions

Who were your three best players against Gold Coast?

• Lauren Arnell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Greta Bodey

• Shannon Campbell

• Dakota Davidson

• Jessy Keeffe

• Lily Postlethwaite

• Catherine Svarc

• Jesse Wardlaw

• Sharni Webb

• Emma Zielke

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for intruding but I think a tie was the right option. You guys dominated the first half just couldn’t score enough to match your dominance (credit to our defence). We were on top second half and lifted our effort (no, it wasn’t umpiring that made us lift).

a great result for Queensland footy. I think we will be seeing you guys again in the finals. Good luck for the rest of the season

First AFLW experience today, thought for the most part it was great. It is true what people have said, the worst thing you can do is compare it to the mens and take it for what it is. There were some exciting passages and it was more physical than I expected. Probably a good first game to go to apart from the quite obviously biased umpiring in the second half. My partner (non-footy follower/work in progress) even commented it seemed like the umpires were trying to get the Suns back into it!

Despite it being entertaining it was clear to me as a spectator that the talent pool is far too thin. The Suns overran us in that second half and to me it seemed like they had more battle hardened players - then I remembered they stole something like 7-8 of our players and we had to turn to recruting from the local leagues (I think??). The standard was decent but you can tell the bottom 6 or so players are not up to scratch and the players in the system a year or two look far better than the new girls.

Overall a good experience.

Inside 50s is an even poorer stat to gauge anything off in the women's game considering a shallow entry is still likely to be two kicks from a goal. I haven't been able to watch the full game yet, I lost track of time doing a garden cleanup.

The whistle was pretty inconsistent through that final quarter. There was a clear wrist hold by Watson on Dawes that slowed her enough to then push in the back (which the commentator called a "good shepherd") before she could collect the ball, Pregelj picked it up instead to deliver directly to Kate Surman with 3 minutes remaining. A free kick from close to the middle of the centre square like we deserved would have meant we at least got the ball moving to our attacking half of the ground for almost the only time in the quarter. Not that a score would have necessarily come from it though.

Back