Preview Round 3, Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Sat 9th April, 4.35pm, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Just on this, Smith and Stanley are both wiry athletic types who are made for Mummy, Tippett and Sinclair are much more solid and I would very surprised if Mummy smashed them like he did to the Geelong praying mantis ruck division. Having said that Mummy will prob win the ruck but it wont be a smashing. I also think you are under rating Grundy like everyone else does, but Richards is more or less cooked and could be exploited.

Keep telling yourself that. Sinclair is no taller or heavier and Tippett has the size but doesn't play his best against a physical ruck.

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
I'm looking for Wilson to put his stamp on this one with a breakout performance. He has been excellent for us early this season with zippy runs and booming kicks. Racked up 7 inside 50's last week. On a smaller SCG, he is capable of breaking this game open ... Just need the forwards to capitalise by kicking straight.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Keep telling yourself that. Sinclair is no taller or heavier and Tippett has the size but doesn't play his best against a physical ruck.
Mumford is shorter than both tippett and sinclair ....where on earth do you get Tippett doesn't play well against a physical ruck? Youve made that up, ill cop sinclair could be bullied but not Tippett.

Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Full Tilt poker
Just a question guys as a mutual.
Jack Steele didnt play in NEAFL last week, was he the stand in emergency for seniors last week incase any late outs?
IMO with the swans midfield the Giants will need all the cavalry they have up their sleeve to go toe to toe with the likes of JPK, Parker, Jack, T Mitchell. I think Steele will be a required player this week with the grunt he can provide in the midfield.
For mine the changes I would make are Marchbank -> Patfull and A Kennedy -> Steele

van peebles

Cancelled
10k Posts
Aug 12, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Just a question guys as a mutual.
Jack Steele didnt play in NEAFL last week, was he the stand in emergency for seniors last week incase any late outs?
IMO with the swans midfield the Giants will need all the cavalry they have up their sleeve to go toe to toe with the likes of JPK, Parker, Jack, T Mitchell. I think Steele will be a required player this week with the grunt he can provide in the midfield.
For mine the changes I would make are Marchbank -> Patfull and A Kennedy -> Steele
Steele is future but not quite there yet.Our mid is hard to break into ATM.
Shows all the signs and club may be letting him get through without killing him early on.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Mumford is shorter than both tippett and sinclair ....where on earth do you get Tippett doesn't play well against a physical ruck? Youve made that up, ill cop sinclair could be bullied but not Tippett.
Mate the simple answer here is that when people discuss the best ruck options in the comp Mumford is in the conversation and Tippett is not

He is serviceable

Mate the simple answer here is that when people discuss the best ruck options in the comp Mumford is in the conversation and Tippett is not

He is serviceable
He's also played full forward for the majority of his time at the Swans, switching to a more present ruck role in the second half of last season. So he generally isn't considered a full time ruck.

I'd say Mumford and Naitanui are the two genuine power rucks in the competition.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

He is serviceable
im not disputing that at all im just saying he wont be blown off the park ala that Twig combo set up Geelong presented.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
He's also played full forward for the majority of his time at the Swans, switching to a more present ruck role in the second half of last season. So he generally isn't considered a full time ruck.

I'd say Mumford and Naitanui are the two genuine power rucks in the competition.
its also easy to visualise the sight of Tippett's head flying back at the slightest hint of high contact, in search of a free kick. Saw this plenty of times while he was at the Crows. :)

Still, I do think you are right that it will be harder for Mumford to physically dominate Tippett than it was vs Smith. but still possible. And I think GWS need it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

You compared Sinclair and Tippett to Stanley and Smith (the two guys Mumford monstered last weekend. Sinclair and Stanley have virtually identical stats and Tippett is short by a bit heavier than smith.

Give yourself an uppercut. I've been watching Tippett for years having grown up watching the crows and still watching most of their games and catch plenty of swans games. He is very susceptible to the physical stuff

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
its also easy to visualise the sight of Tippett's head flying back at the slightest hint of high contact, in search of a free kick. Saw this plenty of times while he was at the Crows. :)

Still, I do think you are right that it will be harder for Mumford to physically dominate Tippett than it was vs Smith. but still possible. And I think GWS need it

Spot on! Loves throwing that head back to get the umps attention. Physically stronger than Sinclair,smith and Stanley but that wouldn't be too hard

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
You compared Sinclair and Tippett to Stanley and Smith (the two guys Mumford monstered last weekend. Sinclair and Stanley have virtually identical stats and Tippett is short by a bit heavier than smith.

Give yourself an uppercut. I've been watching Tippett for years having grown up watching the crows and still watching most of their games and catch plenty of swans games. He is very susceptible to the physical stuff
yeah righto mate you're a genius, you are the footy almanac.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back