Preview Round 3, Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Sat 9th April, 4.35pm, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

McGlynn plays a good defensive forward. Reckon Horse is worried about our run out of defense :)

Beat me to it. I'd say that's exactly what it is. I suspect the feeling around the league is you stop our run from defence and you stop us scoring

He hasn't shown much for a while now, but he's supposed to hate our guts, so he'll be motivated. Probably a part of why he was selected. Beware anyone who's motivated.

Beat me to it. I'd say that's exactly what it is. I suspect the feeling around the league is you stop our run from defence and you stop us scoring
He doesnt have a big tough robust ruckman type to bring into the team.
So he's conceded that department and is trying to win somewhere else on the paddock.
Good selection by the swannies.

He hasn't shown much for a while now, but he's supposed to hate our guts, so he'll be motivated. Probably a part of why he was selected. Beware anyone who's motivated.

He will play a lockdown role on one of your mids, or at least I sure as anything hope that's his role. Frankly I wouldn't have picked him. I hope McGlynn doesn't play forward that much, we have more effective forwards right now.

My memory of last year was we played kick it to Jezza and were too inaccurate early on. They played kick it to Buddy, they were accurate and Heeney scooped up everything Buddy missed.

We can't play that game this year.

We can't, but that might work to our advantage. We're less predictable without Jeremy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There won't be much run out of defence in this game... Not at the SCG. It'll be 100% contested.
How does the SCG affect the run out of defence?

Probably because the configuration of the ground encourages people to run out wide, instead of directly.
tbh I think that will suit us, the bigger the gap the harder it is to close.
Horse will be pretty keen to shut down that run of the back half though, so it may become true through strategy

Probably because the configuration of the ground encourages people to run out wide, instead of directly.
I'd think the extra width would encourage spreading off half back. The length of the ground wouldn't be a concern whilst inside defensive 50, plus it's only 5m shorter than the home of footy so the difference is negligible.

Great day for a game of footy, looking forward to a great contest and the Giants need to win the midfield battle which will be a tough assignment with the talent of the Swans midfield. Could be Smith or Patton with a 4 goal haul

Definitely need to win the midfield battle, IMHO, to win this game. It won't be easy with JPK & Luke Parker an outstandingly talented pair, and great support from the rest of the Swans' midfield at the moment. As in the Geelong game, I don't think that we'll see a specific tag put on any Swan, but rather a team effort to negate their winning influence. If Griffen can reprise what he did last week, Cogs plays his best negating role, and Greene & Ward play their natural game it can be done. But if JPK gets off the leash, it could be a bloodbath like last year.

But, we could win the midfield and still lose it either in attack or defence. I've been very impressed with the defence to date, Phil Davis has been excellent, Corr and Marchbank have done their job very well; plus the shutdown and counterattacking run from the medium/small defenders. Heath Shaw definitely hasn't been at his best, so looking for him to bounce back to his AA form of last year. And hopefully Joel Patfull is hungry in his first game for the year and his 200th looming. Buddy, Tippett, Sinclair & Heeney have proven to be a handful, but if we hold them to a moderate score (unlike their efforts of the first two rounds when they kicked a motza) we're in with a chance. Team defence will be king, with one or two direct matchups such as Davis on Buddy.

The forwards need to keep improving. Patton and Lobb are clunking marks in the forward 50, but not kicking goals well enough. Last week the medium attackers and midfielders made up the gap, but if either of the talls can find their radar GWS could really put their foot down, and if they find it early in the game it would boost the whole team confidence. Otherwise, it will again be a group effort to get enough on the scoreboard, and no inaccuracy like against Melbourne (or this corresponding game last year!) that just stops our momentum.

Let's say I'm hopeful but not confident - we need everything to click & go right for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back