Preview Round 3, Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Sat 9th April, 4.35pm, SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I'm on the bus. The lone giants fan in a sea of red and grey. Yep that's right. It's a retirement village. Lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really disappointed with that performance.

This was a great opportunity and we just did not grab it.

Some of these lads are 22/23 and have enough experience but continue to make the same poor decisions at critical stages. Time to grow up and stop living off draft numbers

On a positive note I thought Zac Williams was very good, Mummy continues to build, Shaw came good after a disastrous start and Coniglio and Shiel were good in patches.

One final note....Jezza, you owe us big time brother.

Whats happened to Heath Shaw this year? Lots of uncharacteristic turnovers and seems way off his AA form of last season.

Whats happened to Heath Shaw this year? Lots of uncharacteristic turnovers and seems way off his AA form of last season.
I said the same thing in the first half of this game but I thought he had a great second half.

I'm not as disappointed with that effort as with the game against the Dees. Versus Swans at SCG was always a tough ask, and like many teams we just couldn't hold out Parker and JPK, with Mitchell & Hannebery up there as well. And Buddy stood strong and kicked clutch goals, although I have to say that Phil Davis played well - if he didn't Buddy would have kicked more. But we did lose the midfield battle - not by a lot, I thought Shiel, Ward, Griffen & Cogs battled hard & Scully and Whitfield ran the outside well - but were shaded by enough that Swans had a welter of inside 50s that we just couldn't keep out enough to win. Small errors that turned the ball over hurt us. Conversely, we actually converted pretty well from our inside 50s, but without Jezza, Lobb & Patton just weren't good enough. Rory regressed a bit tonight, just wasn't taking the contested marks and I don't recall him actually having a kick on goal tonight. That was never going to be enough for us to win.

Heath Shaw started poorly again tonight, but seemed to be closer to his form of last year by the end. Impressed by Nate Wilson again for the most part - has a good brain, and great pace. But needed to take that mark rather than punch the ball away in the back 50. Thought there were lots of willing hard workers, but no-one stood up to take the game by the scruff of the neck. Shiel almost did - he had a couple of bursts but a couple of small injuries seemed to curtail him.

Thought this game showed the difference between a good team & a great team - hopefully it's just a matter of time for our kids to get that little bit more game-savvy. I know we want them to be there now, but they just aren't yet.

It does make next week's game against Port a must-win though. Have to keep in touch with the pack.

Finally home. We are getting closer to a win at the SCG. Still not good enough to over come the unholy trinity of the Swans players, supporters and muppet umps. We might of stolen this one if we could have held some more fwd 50 marks and better efficiency going in there when we got the chance. We were done over in the midfield, no doubt about it.

I thought we performed creditably tonight.

For the first two-and-a-bit quarters we did more than just hold them out. It was a real contest. It was obvious we were well beaten in the midfield but we still managed to hold the line and find a way to break through and score.

We did all this against a quality opponent on their patch despite being down several first-choice players, including our best forward and a couple of key back men. We really made them earn it.

As frustrating as it is, we need tough contests like this to make meaningful progress. We are not far off the mark. In many ways, tonight will be tougher to deal with mentally than getting flogged, because what we want is within our grasp, but just out of reach. This is when young minds start to mature.

We have the game plan and the players. Now we're learning the value of persistence.

Leaving aside I don't think we should be happy with honourable losses, I think we should be pleased with effort tonight. It wasn't that long ago where we would have stopped scrapping after Buddy's goal in the fourth quarter.

What we need is the plan C in the forwards for the next two (or three) weeks. Patton is not mobile; Lobb was missing and we didn't seem to have any decent targets. I don't think we would have automatically won if Cameron was playing but we would have had a better shot.

And did anyone work out how many times we kicked to the Swans? Seemed like too many intercept marks for my liking.

I don't think we would have automatically won if Cameron was playing but we would have had a better shot.

Cameron is naturally more mobile, which would have helped, but that wasn't the problem - it was getting done in the midfield all the time. We actually did a good job of overcoming that for most of the night.

And did anyone work out how many times we kicked to the Swans?

It was excruciating to watch. It reversed the flow of play so many times and it's a wonder we weren't made to pay for it more than we were.

And probably been mentioned a thousand times but does Greene not partake in kicking practice?

Hope he gets courted by a Melbourne club, very expendable. Kelly looks to have gone up a notch and Cogs seems to be getting limited centre square minutes. Not sure where Greene fits in with wanting to move up the ladder further.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back