Autopsy Round 3 Sydney vs Collingwood frustration thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Make buddy a Captain/coach lol

From reports his knowledge of the game is outstanding

Been under the greatest coach of the mondern era also

Make me the coach I have a really simple game plan anyone can follow: Win.

You could very well be very right! The end comes overnight for AFL players. Is Nick Smith in that category? Who knows, but he is on our list for now & will have to be utilised to the best of his ability for the rest of the season.

Now this brings me to something I've been thinking about for most of last year, with the unusually high number of players blooded, & so far this year.

I have believed our club has been heavily pushing the next generation so as to build a core group that can play finals regularly as they have done for the last 20 years. I think making the GF was actually an over achievement with the group we had, such was the will of the older players to win.
It may have taken it's toll now. It is a brutal style of AFL we play & so physically demanding & once again, both last week & last night, we once again dug deep, in games where at some point, ALL of us had fears that we would go down by 40 points plus.

Hell! With such a young group we managed to hit the front in the last quarter of each game, even though any other team would have crumpled in a heap in both games.

Round two against last year's premiers, interstate, was off a six day break & now round 4 for us against West Coast will be off a six day break interstate again!

I actually believe the coaches are not unhappy where we are at considering the makeup of our list right now.

Now it's up to Nick Smith, McVeigh, Jack & Grundy to show if they've been broken by the GF loss & the toll the game style has had on their bodies & minds or if they have at least a full season including finals, to go time & again with some exciting young talent by their sides, watching & learning at a more accelerated rate than if they were playing in another jumper.

Our system teaches these kids how to play hard physical & high pressure AFL football which is finals like every week.
A sure way to make them ready for when they play their first finals game be it in 2017 or 2018.

Should we come up against the Pies in the finals, we will have a whole new ball game folks & long time proven heroes like Nick Smith know very well how different Round 2 underdone in fitness is to week one of finals after another battle hardening season.
The Magpies, featuring Jesse White & a front running midfield, wouldn't stand a chance!

Pies showed us about everything they've got, and it was good enough to hold off the enthusiasm of our rookies. But ultimately the Pies were underwhelming.

De Goey, Brown, Elliot, Sinclair...with respect these missing players will not take them much futher than Pendles, Treloar and Adams have already dragged them.

Well we did always see you as the benchmark. So we're chasing you to the bottom as hard as we can. Tailspins are fun, hey? :straining:

Yeah they're not to bad if you have some gold at the end of the tailspin, unfortunately we don't have a draft pick inside 50 for the next decade #SmartTrades

Letting Mitchell go (or even if he left whatever should've tried harder to keep him) is proving to be a massive mistake. He is a bloody stoppage machine I think we all including me underrated what he brought to the side. His disposal was a bit iffy but the things I'd give for a guy to just give a release handball out of a stoppage right now... In regards to horse's plan I completely disagree. He has had gun players carrying his inability or stubbornness to change. And the AFL is moving towards a fast, uncontested brand of footy and we are being left behind.
What do you mean letting Mitchell go? The Swans wanted him but couldn't match the Hawks. Should we have matched them do you think we'd be able to lock down Heeney & Mills like we have?

I'd love to still have Mitchell but I'd rather we lose him and keep Heeney & Mills - two blokes on their 3rd and 2nd season compared to a bloke on his 7th!

Yep, I wore the cap down to the kids soccer match this morning. Gotta get back out there and look forward to the next win. This board (well, like all team boards really) turns into a funeral after a loss. There's a sense of entitlement after all the years of success. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but imagine being say, a Carlton or Mebourne fan, or even say a Bomber fan? They've all had to suck multiple lemons over the last few years...

I have no sympathy for the Bombers. They bought that crap on themselves with their Hird hero worshipping.

What do you mean letting Mitchell go? The Swans wanted him but couldn't match the Hawks. Should we have matched them do you think we'd be able to lock down Heeney & Mills like we have?

I'd love to still have Mitchell but I'd rather we lose him and keep Heeney & Mills - two blokes on their 3rd and 2nd season compared to a bloke on his 7th!
I'd rather they ****ed off Tippett and locked in Mitchell.

Id rather mitchell be paid than jack or parker

I agree re Mitchell.

The game gets pulled in sorts of weird direction though. In some ways the game is being directed toward an uncontested style, but in other ways not. The no 3rd man up rule could well increase congestion, due to the fact that blokes like Stringer and Blitsvazs can't run in and thump it clear of the contest.

I'm confident once we get Rohan, Papley, Heeney and Rampe back we will look a whole lot better. Asking all these young kids to execute a very labour-intensive game plan will take a while for them to get with the program.

Just wait till the 'prior opportunity' goes the way of the dinosaurs, which I think will seriously happen pretty soon with the way the afl is moving with the holding the ball rule. The game is on a bad trajectory in my book, quicker yes but less about what footy is about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wait till the 'prior opportunity' goes the way of the dinosaurs, which I think will seriously happen pretty soon with the way the afl is moving with the holding the ball rule. The game is on a bad trajectory in my book, quicker yes but less about what footy is about.
I think prior is a mess now. Players are trained to drop the ball now if there's contact.

Wore my swans top to run in at the run club today RW just so you wouldnt think less of me

6 pies supporters there too, mongrels

Glad to know I'm having an impact on you :thumbsu:

Sinclair might be one of the worst footballers I've ever seen. Unreal.

Obviously need Heeney, Papley back etc but I do think we're trying to blood too many kids at once and I'm not convinced we are putting the best 22 on the park. I get it's out of necessity but Foote, Fox, Florent, Newman, Dawson, Marsh, Naismith all in the one side. That's crazy and shows how little depth we have.

I think Towers and Cunningham are basically hot garbage but you can't tell me they (or even Rose or Laidler) might not offer more right now than some of these guys, Foote in particular (though admittedly Foote did a couple of good things in close in the second half). At least they have some experience and are physically up to it. Part of our issue last night was plenty of guys not being able to stick a tackle - some of that is not having a couple of solid preseasons in these guys yet.

Newman is ok and needed without Rampe and Hayward is further along than we could have expected and looks a gem but the others....Fox is getting some good reviews on here but he was basically invisible on the telecast; Dawson was like a deer in the headlights; Florent should be good but at this point he doesn't have any impact - I think there's some confirmation bias with him since he was out high draft pick and we all want to believe he's going to be great. He may become something but he's just not ready to play in the AFL yet.

I generally support getting games into kids and we've done it well the last couple of years even while competing but in the past those young guys were forcing their way in because they were really good and often dominating the NEAFL...this is too much inexperience at once unless you're tanking....and that can't be the right approach in round 3 with Buddy in his prime and the key mids getting older. We're in a tough position right now but I don't think we've helped ourselves at the selection table.

Last edited:
What part of two one possession halves of footy in a row don't all the Florent lovers get??
The kid has class in the open, anyone can see that - but is the opposite of a ball magnet despite running all over the place. Needs time in the neafl to find the footy.
(unlucky not to get a free and a goal when running onto the 50 though)

Have a look at how many times we miss Buddy. How the F can you expect a kid to be in right place all the time when a champ like Buddy gets the ball kicked over his head, at his toes, 20 metres to the right, 30 metres to the left or worse still it is a Tom Mitchell like up & under that comes down with moon dust?

I think prior is a mess now. Players are trained to drop the ball now if there's contact.
Then it should be illegal disposal, simple.

Then it should be illegal disposal, simple.
If it was that simple I think they would of got it right by now.

If you made it hard and fast, like you say, then it places more doubt in the minds of players in terms of wanting to take possession of the ball. Taking the contest out of the equation does little for the game, in my opinion. We want to see players take on the ball and their man.

It's a really tricky part of the game I reckon, which is why it's difficult to adjudicate.

Post q1, imo, it was a very good effort for a very young side. A couple of poor decisions by Jones and few others under 30 odd games, is to be expected but cost us in a close one.

Outside the obvious Hayward & Florente, Fox is showing good signs, Newman is showing more grunt for the hard stuff than I thought he was capable of, Foote & Dawson are worth persevering with, when opportunity, form and injury combine; Naismith has only played 16 games and is developing fast; how often do you find somebody with the poise of Alir after 15 games?; and Marsh is growing everyweek after 10 games. Swans will spend this year sorting through the rest of the young ones and moving on the those passed their use by date;

This is going to be a very even season and my guess 10 or 11 wins will get a 7 or 8th. Very achievable, imo.

The Swans have to back their draft selection and development. Which fortunately, by necessity they have become very good at.

If it was that simple I think they would of got it right by now.

If you made it hard and fast, like you say, then it places more doubt in the minds of players in terms of wanting to take possession of the ball. Taking the contest out of the equation does little for the game, in my opinion. We want to see players take on the ball and their man.

It's a really tricky part of the game I reckon, which is why it's difficult to adjudicate.
You choose to take on the player and get tackled with the ball pinned to you its holding the ball, if you drop it while being tackled it's illegal disposal. With this though the definition of prior opportunity needs tweaking so players want to attack the ball and beat their opposition player(s). The interpretation of the previous points has been royally screwed up by the afl and for no good reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back