Review Round 3 V Melbourne:the good, the bad and the ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Basically what are the positives? What are the criticisms? And what are the concerns for moving forward?

Similar to Ichabod Noodle...

Good:
- tackling: 115 to 70, 9 of the top 10 tacklers, led by Treloar, Ward and Mumford
- hitouts: Mummy, yep.
- clearances: took advantage of Mumford's dominance. Cogs had 5 centre clearances, as many as had Melb as a team (and had 14 overall)
- the backline: moment that comes to mind was Haynes being outnumbered 2-on-1 in the goalsquare, Frawley made a weak attempt to block for his teammate over the back and Haynes simply committed to the contest and got the spoil for a rushed behind. Also great to see our improvement on the rebound.
- Josh Kelly, particularly those 4th quarter goals to go up 7 and 19 points respectively.

Bad:
- forward entries still need work which will help with...
- hitting the scoreboard, gotta be better than 10.19. On a dry track, maybe that improves.

Ugly:
- the weather didn't exactly help the standard of play

the good.
didnt play our best and still won.

the bad.
need more supporters and to have our first 2 games washed out when we win is disappointing.

the ugly.
lack of respect from victorian media.

positives.yep were better.
negatives.none really,sometimes you dont play your best and still get the 4 points.

The good - We got the 4 points. We got through the game without major injury in terrible conditions. Our boys got more development and dealt with being favourites. Mumford is back playing career best footy and has proven our missing link was a competitive beast ruckman. Shaw, Mumford, Hunt have been massive pick ups and given the youngsters so much more confidence. Treloar is an A grader with a grader time and poise. Hampton is becoming the player we dreamed of. Kelly is a jet.

The bad - Many of our lads still lack composure with the ball and are kick happy, chiefly Cogs, Sculls, Toby and Haynsie. Love Cogs speed and ability to find it but he just needs to make better decisions with it and realise he has more time. Love Sculls running, work ethic and courage but his kicking is almost as bad as Palmer now which is unacceptable for a lad with his experience. I do wonder if some of this is because he works so hard and fatigues?? either way it costs us. Toby is frustrating in that he (like Smith) is physical and offers grunt but just disposes by foot poorly...hope he can pick that up. Haynsie did some unbelievable spoils on Saturday that helped ice the game but still sometimes takes poor options by foot.

The ugly - I dont think there was anything that drastic. Didn't like the crowd but the Demons don't bring anything there so probably contributed with weather.

Last edited:
The ugly - I dont think there was anything that drastic. Didn't like the crowd but the Demons don't bring anything there so probably contributed with weather.

Had so many things working against us in getting a decent crowd - a poor drawing opposition team, buses replaces trains on a number of lines, poor weather, easter show set up making it harder to get to the ground.

My second game this year (3.5 hrs each way on a Murray's from Cbr)
Positives_The back line. Shaw and Hunt replace the reliability that was lost when Chad went down last year. All the young guys are improving weekly, add Plowman to that. I previously thought him just a bit slight for Centre Half Back, but his game was good yesterday.
Negatives_JC has lost the room to wheel around on to sight of goal now that the forward line is more crowded. It's not really a negative as Patton takes some of the attention off him. Their partnership an interesting work in progress.
Other thoughts_ Tom Bugg is cementing his spot in the 23.

Not sure if the time has quite arrived for respect yet. Two years of beltings and sure the win against the Swans was noteworthy but other than that we have only beat lowly Melbourne.
it was the only ugly thing i could come up with.
thought id at least pick on somebody i dont like.

I am starting to agree now that maybe Greene needs a bit of time in the twos as a wake up call. I initially was reluctant to say this as I think many of us on here criticise freely with the knowledge that there is serious and sometimes unexplored talent in the sheds we would all like to see and therefore we can be a lil harsh. However, the disposal efficiency is repeatedly poor now. I would think the Dogs is going to be a big match for him if he makes the 22.

I know it seemed to work well with Coniglio last year when his defensive efforts weren't up to scratch and look at him go this year! Maybe tough love is the answer

Shots on goal can definitely be improved. We kicked 12 behinds (7 were rushed) and there was a sequence of play where we kicked two out on the full shooting on goal, next entry was only a behind (I only remember because it was right in front of me at the GIANTS cheer squad end)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back