Review Round 3 vs Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval (02.04.21 - 6:50pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Adelaide.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 3
Gold Coast FC vs Adelaide Crows
Adelaide Oval, North Adelaide, South Australia
April 2nd 2021 - 6:50pm Australian Eastern Standard Time

May your takes be hot and your discussion civil.​

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Should win this one but need to bring our A game. Adelaide are no longer easy beats anymore.

our injuries are a bit worrying though...

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
First win at Adelaide Oval cmon;

Out: Day, Budarick, Brodie

In: Burgess, Harbrow, Corbett

Feel Corbett may be able to cover the AO ground more than Brodie

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Out: Day, Budarick
In: Corbett, Harbrow

Pretty straight forward changes I would have thought. Harbrow is a bit speculative at this point in his career, but until we can develop someone else, he is the best we have in that position.

MacPherson had a good game with 24 touches and 6 tackles so he keeps his spot. Brodie underperformed, but I think you need to give him one more game so he has had a block of 3 games to completely judge him on. Atkins or Fiorini may be looking at his spot after the Crows game.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Not liking the back to back 6 day breaks with 2 interstate trips including Perth.
Would be a big win.
No injuries

they did however only have 3 goal kickers- Stop Tex, we win.

injury list as of end of last round
Injury list (as of March 23):

Matt Crouch (groin) ongoing assessment
Jake Kelly (concussion) concussion protocol
Daniel Talia (knee) 1 week
Luke Brown (Achilles) 1 week
Jackson Hately (groin) 1-2 weeks
Brayden Cook (shoulder) 4 weeks
Mitch Hinge (shoulder) TBC
Wayne Milera (knee) season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m driving over from Melbourne for this game, perfect time to do it being a long weekend! Can’t wait!

Shattered about Budarick’s injury he was a really solid piece for us down back with his pace, speed and foot skills. He was getting better and better each week, he will be sorely missed. Fingers crossed the injury isn’t too serious and we see him back out on the park soon. Harbs is a straight swap for him. Corbett comes in for Day too that’s a no brainer.

I believe if we prepare well both physically and mentally for this one there is no reason why we can’t get our first victory at Adelaide oval we just need the belief!

Collins is going to have to be on to shut down Tex!

Last edited:

Jessbek

Club Legend
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
Looking great defensively so far which is a win. Need to work on our inside 50 work, Corbett seems to have sticky hands in spite of goal kicking woes so should help. Adelaide has a very inexperienced backline which we should be able to stretch. Collins onto Walker, touk to run with Laird, Luko to have a cracker, suns by 4 goals

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interesting match up for us. Adelaide looked far more menacing against Geelong last week than they did against Sydney yesterday. The Crows were extremely inaccurate (11.22) and really only had one avenue to goal through Taylor Walker. McAdam kicked 3 junk time goals for the Crows in the 4th quarter but was largely unproductive for 3 quarters so I'm not as worried about him. We were better in front of goal yesterday (14.14) and had a better spread of goals through King 3, Rankine 3, Sexton 2, Ainsworth 1 and Day 1. Our forward line was very productive with 10 goals yesterday and our midfield (Lukosius, Swallow and Weller) contributed a further 3 goals for us.

What about the midfield battle? Wittsy has performed well the last two weeks by winning the hit outs against West Coast (31-22 v Naitanui) and North Melbourne (33-28 v Goldstein) whereas Riley O'Brien just claimed the hit out count against Geelong (22-21 v Stanley) and lost the hit outs against Sydney (24-26 v Hickey). In the ruck department this year, Witts ranks elite in hit outs (64), disposals (15.5), clearances (4.5), stoppage clearances (3), inside 50s (2.5), score involvements (4), tackles (4) and rebound 50s (1) as well as above average in contested possessions (8.5), uncontested possessions (5.5), centre clearances (1.5), marks (3), contested marks (1.5), disposal efficiency (71%) and tackles inside forward 50 (1). O'Brien is only ranked elite in the category of score involvements (4.5) and that's only 0.5 higher than Witts so it's basically a wash. O'Brien only ranks above average in the categories of hit outs (23), contested possessions (4) and stoppage clearances (2). tl;dr - we have the better ruckman in almost any way you want to measure it.

In terms of inside mids, Rory Laird is their main man at the moment. Averaging 28.5 disposals, 7 clearances, 5 i50s and 5 tackles a game so far this season. Ben Keays and Rory Sloane probably deserve a mention too with an average of 25.5 & 20.5 disposals per game, 7.5 & 6.5 clearances per game, 9.5 & 5.5 i50s per game as well as 3 & 4.5 tackles per game.

I think we have a greater spread than Adelaide with our inside midfield stats but I feel Noah Anderson is probably our best performing midfielder at the moment with an average of 27 disposals, 5 clearances, 2.5 i50s and 1.5 tackles a game. Swallow and Miller definitely deserve mentions as well with an average of 25.5 & 25.5 disposals per game, 3.5 & 2 clearances per game, 5 & 2.5 i50s per game as well as 5 & 5 tackles per game. I can't be bothered looking into it more but I can see Brodie and Greenwood are averaging 18 & 15 disposals a match so they are also solidly contributing. Greenwood's numbers would be higher if we weren't swinging him between the midfield and forward line so it's actual impact on a game is better than the stats suggest.

With all that said, I actually feel our most important player right now is a defender by the name of Jack Bowes. He is averaging 30.5 disposals a game at 90.2% disposal efficiency. He's very clean and calm with the ball and I feel a lot of our offensive movements up the ground go through him. The way our back line is performing this year is a huge factor behind our improvement and I really do feel a lot of that has to do with Bowes. I wish I could show more stats that back up this theory but you can't really display what someone does with the ball through stats. Lukosius' impact deserves a mention too but I can't be bothered collecting more stats haha.

This is such a great opportunity for us to announce ourselves to the football public. Friday night away game under lights against a team that beat the Grand Finalists less than two weeks ago. We'll gain a lot of respect if we can get the W in this one.

They did however only have 3 goal kickers- Stop Tex, we win.
Great point. I think if Collins can do a job on Tex and keep him to 2 or 3 goals then we should win.

Last edited:

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Interesting match up for us. Adelaide looked far more menacing against Geelong last week than they did against Sydney yesterday. The Crows were extremely inaccurate (11.22) and really only had one avenue to goal through Taylor Walker. McAdam kicked 3 junk time goals for the Crows in the 4th quarter but was largely unproductive for 3 quarters so I'm not as worried about him. We were better in front of goal yesterday (14.14) and had a better spread of goals through King 3, Rankine 3, Sexton 2, Ainsworth 1 and Day 1. Our forward line was very productive with 10 goals yesterday and our midfield (Lukosius, Swallow and Weller) contributed a further 3 goals for us.

What about the midfield battle? Wittsy has performed well the last two weeks by winning the hit outs against West Coast (31-22 v Naitanui) and North Melbourne (33-28 v Goldstein) whereas Riley O'Brien just claimed the hit out count against Geelong (22-21 v Stanley) and lost the hit outs against Sydney (24-26 v Hickey). In the ruck department this year, Witts ranks elite in hit outs (64), disposals (15.5), clearances (4.5), stoppage clearances (3), inside 50s (2.5), score involvements (4), tackles (4) and rebound 50s (1) as well as above average in contested possessions (8.5), uncontested possessions (5.5), centre clearances (1.5), marks (3), contested marks (1.5), disposal efficiency (71%) and tackles inside forward 50 (1). O'Brien is only ranked elite in the category of score involvements (4.5) and that's only 0.5 higher than Witts so it's basically a wash. O'Brien only ranks above average in the categories of hit outs (23), contested possessions (4) and stoppage clearances (2). tl;dr - we have the better ruckman in almost any way you want to measure it.

In terms of inside mids, Rory Laird is their main man at the moment. Averaging 28.5 disposals, 7 clearances, 5 i50s and 5 tackles a game so far this season. Ben Keays and Rory Sloane probably deserve a mention too with an average of 25.5 & 20.5 disposals per game, 7.5 & 6.5 clearances per game, 9.5 & 5.5 i50s per game as well as 3 & 4.5 tackles per game.

I think we have a greater spread than Adelaide with our inside midfield stats but I feel Noah Anderson is probably our best performing midfielder at the moment with an average of 27 disposals, 5 clearances, 2.5 i50s and 1.5 tackles a game. Swallow and Miller definitely deserve mentions as well with an average of 25.5 & 25.5 disposals per game, 3.5 & 2 clearances per game, 5 & 2.5 i50s per game as well as 5 & 5 tackles per game. I can't be bothered looking into it more but I can see Brodie and Greenwood are averaging 18 & 15 disposals a match so they are also solidly contributing. Greenwood's numbers would be higher if we weren't swinging him between the midfield and forward line so it's actual impact on a game is better than the stats suggest.

With all that said, I actually feel our most important player right now is a defender by the name of Jack Bowes. He is averaging 30.5 disposals a game at 90.2% disposal efficiency. He's very clean and calm with the ball and I feel a lot of our offensive movements up the ground go through him. The way our back line is performing this year is a huge factor behind our improvement and I really do feel a lot of that has to do with Bowes. I wish I could show more stats that back up this theory but you can't really display what someone does with the ball through stats. Lukosius' impact deserves a mention too but I can't be bothered collecting more stats haha.

This is such a great opportunity for us to announce ourselves to the football public. Friday night away game under lights against a team that beat the Grand Finalists less than two weeks ago. We'll gain a lot of respect if we can get the W in this one.

Great point. I think if Collins can do a job on Tex and keep him to 2 or 3 goals then we should win.
Witts took LOB to cleaners the last year. Basically at the beginning of every quarter he grabbed the ball and kicked it inside 50.

Bowes was OK yesterday but still probably the worst one from our defence. He looked slow and exhausted more than others and made some mistakes. A lot of his kicks were cheap ones.

No doubt we should win it on paper but it's away game and we never won in Adelaide.

Last edited:

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m driving over from Melbourne for this game, perfect time to do it being a long weekend! Can’t wait!

Shattered about Budarick’s injury he was a really solid piece for us down back with his pace, speed and foot skills. He was getting better and better each week, he will be sorely missed. Fingers crossed the injury isn’t too serious and we see him back out on the park soon. Harbs is a straight swap for him. Corbett comes in for Day too that’s a no brainer.

I believe if we prepare well both physically and mentally for this one there is no reason why we can’t get our first victory at Adelaide oval we just need the belief!

Collins is going to have to be on to shut down Tex!
I prefer to say Tex is going to have to be on to get over the top of Collins...huge test for Walker!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back