Review Round 3 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

It really doesn't matter how it's done.
If you can snag the 4 points in a matter we obviously weren't too happy about, you grab 'em and we move on.
We won't look back at this game in the next few weeks, if we lost on the other hand we'd talk about it for the next weeks.
W in the column. Moving onto the next couple of weeks.
The only undefeated team left in the comp.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-07/five-talking-points-port-adelaide-v-brisbane

5. Power pass maturity test
Overwhelming favourites heading into the round three clash, Power coach Ken Hinkley predicted the match would be a test for a team that many fancy will go deep into September. After being outworked in the second quarter, and trailing by 11 points at the long break, the Power were able to move on from their sub-par opening and find another gear to deliver a match-shaping third quarter in which they scored 7.1 to 2.2. But they couldn't deliver a knockout punch in the final term. Port took the points but it didn't play like a premiership contender.

We all know Sam Gray has his weaknesses but he was damn good yesterday. The way he was able to shake off a few opponents with some very deft turns was very impressive and exciting to watch, and even though his execution can be a little questionable at times he is a very smart footballer with his positioning and spacing. You can say he beats up on the weaker teams e.g. when he outscored Gold Coast last year, but at least it shows he's not complacent and he prepares himself well for every game, no matter if we're playing Sydney or Brisbane. A true professional. Keep on working hard Sammy.
It's amazing how many advantages being a two-sided player gives you.

Polec and Motlop should take note.

I posted this in the AFL thread but it is probably as relevant in this thread...

I have been looking at the Richmond Hawks game and been comparing it with yesterday's tactics. For long periods yesterday we went with out a player ahead of centre. In this game both sides have player or two back in their attacking side of the centre square. If the ball looks like being driven into attack they move goalward so they are positioned across half forward. The result is the players running through centre have a target to kick to on the rebound. For large periods yesterday our guys were kicking to players running from the defensive side of the centre square and not at the oncoming ball. At stages it looked like were playing with fifteen midfielders a couple of who were recruited as forward targets.

In the replay Dermie used a term I hadn't heard before. He referred to a 'turning lead' when a player running toward the goal had to change direction and mark. The nett result is we finish in the pockets and flanks rather in front of goal. If last year's Premiers and a side coached by a Premiership coach see the need to maintain targets in attack why don't we? What is the purpose of recruiting players like Dixon and Watts if they are playing as pseudo midfielders?

At the moment the Richmond Hawks game might not be as close as yesterday's but it is a better spectacle to watch. Thirty six players in one half of the ground for long periods does not make for an attractive game.

Totally agree we should be keeping a couple of targets up forward, especially Dixon.
Unfortunately that's not what Ken thinks; That's why over the last couple of years we stream forward and put the ball on Neade's & SGary's head against big blokes because they are the quickest at running back to our forward line. Then people complain about Dixon's accuracy, but he's that stuffed running from half-back all the time. Thought it may change after the Freo game, but not sure now.

Yeah, I can accept that rationale, but is the trade off for increased endurance worth losing the physique that makes him, him.

All-Australian Sherrin-magnet:

View attachment 480390

Slender peripheral part (lack of a preseason due to multiple injuries noted):

View attachment 480391

Flexing vs extended arms. Need like for like comparison. He's never been a unit.

West Coast will get a Subi ride today, I'm tipping 9 more frees than the Cats, and we'll get lumped in with the 'bloody interstate teams and the frees they get' square-up for next week.

IMG_8106.jpg

Closer than Mariano Rivera.

It's amazing how many advantages being a two-sided player gives you.

Polec and Motlop should take note.

Motlop is two sided. He uses the inside of his right boot and the outside of his right boot. ;)

He was been terrific. One of my favourite players to watch.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-07/five-talking-points-port-adelaide-v-brisbane

5. Power pass maturity test
Overwhelming favourites heading into the round three clash, Power coach Ken Hinkley predicted the match would be a test for a team that many fancy will go deep into September. After being outworked in the second quarter, and trailing by 11 points at the long break, the Power were able to move on from their sub-par opening and find another gear to deliver a match-shaping third quarter in which they scored 7.1 to 2.2. But they couldn't deliver a knockout punch in the final term. Port took the points but it didn't play like a premiership contender.

Harsh..but true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context

Brisbane's pre season was all about firing on all cylinders at round one in the hope momentum carry's then to finals

You guys are still preparing for a decent tilt at finals

Your coaches would of held a lot back

It's round 3. The job got done

Nothing more to see

Motlop is two sided. He uses the inside of his right boot and the outside of his right boot. ;)

He was been terrific. One of my favourite players to watch.

Daniel, Marlon and the extended crew have been in the Magarey Room aftermatch both games.

Both guys in ripping nick and just part of the furniture. Port.

Brisbane are still enthusiastic, 3 more losses and the motivation wheels will fall off don’t worry.

I don’t see us commenting on the biggest issue is that we keep being punished playing a midfielder short at the contest to have one extra defender. We’ve got away with the wins but it costs us momentum in games!

8 day break is lovely for recovery, the boys will be ultra physical next week I’m sure.

Loving being top

Rockliff is spending a truckload of time forward. When he's put in the middle it's for a very short time before he's flicked elsewhere. Spent most of his day getting uncontested touches on the wing.

I don't know what the coaches are doing with him, really. He's got zero continuity being flicked about everywhere.

Rockliff is spending a truckload of time forward. When he's put in the middle it's for a very short time before he's flicked elsewhere. Spent most of his day getting uncontested touches on the wing.

I don't know what the coaches are doing with him, really. He's got zero continuity being flicked about everywhere.
Getting the ks into his legs while also protecting his shoulder.

Harsh..but true

Did Richmond play like a premiership contender when they got rolled by the crows at Adelaide Oval last year?
And I bet Geelong are still being thought of as a contender, despite only being a Max Gawn straight kick away from currently sitting dead last on the ladder.
These articles should be taken for what they are - trash.

Not much more to be said about the actual game but when it was 3rd quarter I went into radio silence mode just to enjoy the finish without knowing the result

No apps with score alerts, sent texts to friends saying no spoilers please

Undone by email "when we win you win"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back