Review Round 3 vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Not much more to be said about the actual game but when it was 3rd quarter I went into radio silence mode just to enjoy the finish without knowing the result

No apps with score alerts, sent texts to friends saying no spoilers please

Undone by email "when we win you win"

Radio silence, but checking emails?

You get what you deserve :).

Whats the bet when the aflca votes come out today martin only gets 9 because ken wont admit his mistakes.. ha

It's tight at the top: Power in rare air
IN WHAT may be a sign we are in for one of the most even years in recent times, Port Adelaide has become the first club in more than a decade to be the only unbeaten team after three rounds of a season.
It is the first time since West Coast in 2007 that there has been just one unbeaten side after three rounds of the season, highlighting the tightness of the competition.
More ..
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-09/its-tight-at-the-top-power-in-rare-air

Not much more to be said about the actual game but when it was 3rd quarter I went into radio silence mode just to enjoy the finish without knowing the result

No apps with score alerts, sent texts to friends saying no spoilers please

Undone by email "when we win you win"

If you're going to get a result spoiled for you, that's probably the best way for it to happen.

But you and I and everyone else knows that we will just keep wearing it. Which is exactly the reason why it keeps happening. When it comes to umpiring, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Chris Scott, Brad Scott, the feral WCE/Adelaide Crows crowds that are baying for umpire blood before the ball is even bounced. We just sit back and cop it, week after week. We even lost a home final because of it last year. Wake up KT, wake up Ken. Start sticking up for your club because this rubbish has gone on far too long.
I agree with you.... but they cows supporters are shouting ball at the weirdest times. That would do my head in.

I've watched the whole game. Except for 2/3 of the Q2 and the begining of Q3, we have dominated the game. It shouldn't have been as close as it was.

Offensivelly, in the 2H, we didn't play smart footy at times, missing the best play. Our kicking was good in Q3, but really bad in Q4. I don't understand why we force shots that we know having poor odds. Why not kicking the ball to someone else?

I can't judge frees yet — I still have the impression that "play on" and whistles happen randomly. Still, I wonder what is the meaning of "deliberate" on "deliberate out-of-bounds". Refs were calling everything "deliberate" on the 2H.

P.S.: Amazing how Watts is affected by his mistakes. After a miss, he doesn't kick for goal in his next chance. This game, he kicked to Barry in Q1 and handballed (tried to, actually) to Gray in Q4. Do we have a sport psychologist at the club?

I've watched the whole game. Except for 2/3 of the Q2 and the begining of Q3, we have dominated the game. It shouldn't have been as close as it was.
Offensivelly, in the 2H, we didn't play smart footy at times, missing the best play. Our kicking was good in Q3, but really bad in Q4. I don't understand why we force shots that we know having poor odds. Why not kicking the ball to someone else?
I can't judge frees yet — I still have the impression that "play on" and whistles happen randomly. Still, I wonder what is the meaning of "deliberate" on "deliberate out-of-bounds". Refs were calling everything "deliberate" on the 2H.
P.S.: Amazing how Watts is affected by his mistakes. After a miss, he doesn't kick for goal in his next chance. This game, he kicked to Barry in Q1 and handballed (tried to, actually) to Gray in Q4. Do we have a sport psychologist at the club?

All teams do ridiculous things in trying to get goals in the shortest space of time instead of just taking a leisurely shot and making sure of it. Have a look at a couple of right prats screwing up certain goals here. And this is not the only time this has happened.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-04-08/the-10-round-threes-best-moments

Totally agree we should be keeping a couple of targets up forward, especially Dixon.
Unfortunately that's not what Ken thinks; That's why over the last couple of years we stream forward and put the ball on Neade's & SGary's head against big blokes because they are the quickest at running back to our forward line. Then people complain about Dixon's accuracy, but he's that stuffed running from half-back all the time. Thought it may change after the Freo game, but not sure now.
This post and the one it quotes from raptalia could have hit on something important IMO.

This effect is likely to be worse on a hot day, and in the latter stages of the game. Which helps explain why the tall forwards in particular are going to really struggle in the last quarter of a game in conditions like those on Sat, especially if it's the third game in a row in such conditions and on a 6-day break.

It will probably also be worse if you're getting dominated at stoppages, because your forwards are going to be doing a lot more fast defensive running back to help out the defence, and then fast offensive running forward again to get into position for an attack. If you're breaking even or winning stoppages (like we did against Freo and in the second half against Swans), it's a lot easier to keep the forward structure in place.

And Brisbane are a surprisingly good clearance team. They smashed us in both clearances and scores from clearances, broke even with Melbourne (one of the top contested-ball teams) last week (though if you allow for Gawn's ruck dominance and exclude the 1/4 of Melbourne's clearances that came from one player, Clayton Oliver, they probably did better than that), and almost doubled the Saints in clearances despite losing to them in the first round.

Brisbane may well surprise a few sides this season on the back of their strength in clearances. They're definitely not the sort of team you'd want to play on a very hot day off a 6-day break, especially if you're without a competitive ruckman, because you're going to be doing a lot more defensive hard running.

Brisbane may well surprise a few sides this season on the back of their strength in clearances. They're definitely not the sort of team you'd want to play on a very hot day off a 6-day break, especially if you're without a competitive ruckman, because you're going to be doing a lot more defensive hard running.
Also the weather was tailor made for Brisbane (and GC). They get the downside of that, on really shitty winter days, so I suppose we can't begrudge their players coping better with weather they're going to be much more acclimatised to, then our players would be.

We'll have a better idea of where this win rates by mid season. If Brisbane push a few more quality teams or even beat a quality team or two, we'll end up being pretty happy to have gotten out of jail here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll have a better idea of where this win rates by mid season. If Brisbane push a few more quality teams or even beat a quality team or two, we'll end up being pretty happy to have gotten out of jail here.

This!

Early days, but our win over Freo looks half-decent now considering their form in their last two games.

Polec - For the most part that was one of the worst games i've seen him play. His first half was nothing short of pathetic. Mistake after mistake, doing the same trick over and over again for the same poor result, poor marking and plenty of brain farts. Yes he was better after half time, especially the third time, but it was a similar story in the last again. Has been in great form, and i'm sure many will disagree with my review of his game today, but I just didn't see it today (2/10).

PORT ADELAIDE v BRISBANE
9 Stefan Martin (Bris)
8 Jared Polec (PA)
7 Sam Gray (PA)
4 Hamish Hartlett (PA)
1 Darcy Gardiner (Bris)
1 Dayne Zorko (Bris)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-09/aflca-votes-round-three

:think:

Shame Macca isn't on the Portcasts anymore. Would've loved to hear his 2cents here :p

Did Richmond play like a premiership contender when they got rolled by the crows at Adelaide Oval last year?
And I bet Geelong are still being thought of as a contender, despite only being a Max Gawn straight kick away from currently sitting dead last on the ladder.
These articles should be taken for what they are - trash.

I agree, a lot of arcticles are crap, but i cant find anything wrong with that....

If we turn up like that in the finals, god help us....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back