Round 3 vs Collingwood at Marvel Easter Thursday

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Melbourne and Fitzroy lad, I'm also someone who thinks the AFL should do a lot more with alternate uniforms. The traditional and modern lions and bears are all fantastic (except the paddlepop) and should be worn at different times across the season. Thry all allow for great contrast against other teams and maximise the following of the crowd

How often would you want this done? Once a year? Against a specific opponent? Or all games in Victoria?
I haven't got anything in mind and am aware of sensitivities but if Brisbane wore a Fitzroy themed jumper, which isn't that far removed at all from our base strip ,and marketed it as such at all Melbourne games I'm certain it would end up being a genius marketing move in the long run .Lots of inner urbanites in the overpopulated suburbs in and around Fitzroy now who don't have an attachment to anyone in particular.

If we have flown down 4 players for our extended stay in Melbourne, I would have selected Mathieson, Adams, Ballenden & Gardiner (injury pending) as part of that extended squad. We really need some maturity in our lineup for the next couple of matches against the Magpies & Bulldogs IMO.

Last edited:
Also little shocked to have neither Archie or Ely flying down. Bit of a concern for different reasons

Archie's injured. Not sure why Ely wasn't on the plane.

I haven't got anything in mind and am aware of sensitivities but if Brisbane wore a Fitzroy themed jumper, which isn't that far removed at all from our base strip ,and marketed it as such at all Melbourne games I'm certain it would end up being a genius marketing move in the long run .Lots of inner urbanites in the overpopulated suburbs in and around Fitzroy now who don't have an attachment to anyone in particular.
Wouldn't mind it, so long as we have a Bears-themed day in Brisbane too.

Based on that tweet I’m hoping Matho, Berry and Gardiner will come in for Sharp, Prior and Lester

Gardiner an upgrade on Lester and will go to de Goey when he’s forward.

Berry, Clug, Bailey and Robbo can play wing. Matho can play midfield/forward like Rayner would have.

Also little shocked to have neither Archie or Ely flying down. Bit of a concern for different reasons
Either they think the Big O will be fine or they rate Fullarton and Ballenden to be superior options if the O is out.

Edit- Ooops, Archie is injured and on personal leave from the club.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on that tweet I’m hoping Matho, Berry and Gardiner will come in for Sharp, Prior and Lester

Gardiner an upgrade on Lester and will go to de Goey when he’s forward.

Berry, Clug, Bailey and Robbo can play wing. Matho can play midfield/forward like Rayner would have.

I'd kick Birch before Lester. Lester was significantly better than him imo.

Market it properly they would sell stupidly well. Even if worn in a once off away game a year.

I'd kick Birch before Lester. Lester was significantly better than him imo.

I think we need his disposal. This season Lester has just been average defensively and doesn’t offer much with his disposal.

Can’t have Rich as the only distributor off half back.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Oscar get subbed out, which is an auto 12 day rest? Or is that just subs in the event of a head knock?

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Oscar get subbed out, which is an auto 12 day rest? Or is that just subs in the event of a head knock?

Only concussion/head knocks are auto 12 day break.

Players with other injuries (i.e ankle sprain), who have been subbed off for the match can play the following week if they have recovered

Last edited:
That's still almost 20 days away - I wouldn't think that's likely at all. Possible, yes, but our Premier's language today is quite clearly around locking down for 3 days to avoid a longer lockdown. If we're still a no-go zone in 20 days, things are about to get very dire up here.
This feels different to January when we just had the single case that we knew had come directly from Hotel Quarantine, now we have multiple unknown community cases that need to be tracked and stopped. It won’t be 20 days probably but 3 days is very ambitious to end lockdown (I’d guess it’ll be a week tbh).

I also can’t see states like WA and SA opening their borders to us within 20 days, and while that’s the case hosting games at the Gabba isn’t really feasible since the knock on effects would cause multiple fixture changes to teams from those states.

Easier to keep the lions in Melbourne for Rd’s 5&6 and then have Brisbane completely back to normal in Rd 7

This feels different to January when we just had the single case that we knew had come directly from Hotel Quarantine, now we have multiple unknown community cases that need to be tracked and stopped. It won’t be 20 days probably but 3 days is very ambitious to end lockdown (I’d guess it’ll be a week tbh).

I also can’t see states like WA and SA opening their borders to us within 20 days, and while that’s the case hosting games at the Gabba isn’t really feasible since the knock on effects would cause multiple fixture changes to teams from those states.

Easier to keep the lions in Melbourne for Rd’s 5&6 and then have Brisbane completely back to normal in Rd 7
And just on how they’d be able to still give Brisbane 11 home games, you just need to involve a 3rd team like this:

Rd 5 Brisbane Vs Essendon becomes Essendon Vs Brisbane
Rd 10 Essendon vs North Becomes North vs Essendon
Rd 14 North vs Brisbane Becomes Brisbane vs North

^the above also works with Richmond instead of North and just have them travel up here twice in the season ;)

In your opinion.

You stated ALL Brisbane Lions supporters. I, as a member since we relocated to Brisbane, strongly disagree.

But the fact is - why have you bought up a shitfight that has been rehashed 100 times. Give us a break.

And just on how they’d be able to still give Brisbane 11 home games, you just need to involve a 3rd team like this:

Rd 5 Brisbane Vs Essendon becomes Essendon Vs Brisbane
Rd 10 Essendon vs North Becomes North vs Essendon
Rd 14 North vs Brisbane Becomes Brisbane vs North

^the above also works with Richmond instead of North and just have them travel up here twice in the season ;)
Essendon wouldn't be happy about losing a Melbourne derby game and gaining an interstate game, because they'd probably get a lesser crowd overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back