Unofficial Preview Round 3 West Coast vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coaches voted Gawn BOG in round 1, and McEvoy second best yesterday. Stating the bloody obvious but curtailing Naitanui is going to be crucial to us getting the win. Can't let the third ruckman in as many weeks basically be the most influential player on the ground.

Interesting votes. By my estimates,
Clarko went 5. Mitchell, 4. McEvoy, 3. Danger, 2. GAJ, 1. Smith
Scott went 5. Mitchell, 4. GAJ, 3. McEvoy, 2. Impey, 1. Kelly.
Both coaches gave Cats players 1/3 of the votes- CS no Danger.
FWIW, Will be an interesting Brownlow count for this game
3. Mitch, 2. BB, 1 GAJ?

My biggest concern is how few inside 50s we are generating compared to the opposition, but I do also think it's a product of our injury issues. Issues intercepting and then cleanly exiting the 50 mean it is coming back in and we aren't able to counter attack as we like.
I think that maybe we are being a bit conservative trying to help hide our deficiencies in the back line and we don't have the players that use it well enough short or under pressure to pull it off all that well.

Bingo. Been getting killed in inside 50s.

Interesting votes. By my estimates,
Clarko went 5. Mitchell, 4. McEvoy, 3. Danger, 2. GAJ, 1. Smith
Scott went 5. Mitchell, 4. GAJ, 3. McEvoy, 2. Impey, 1. Kelly.
Both coaches gave Cats players 1/3 of the votes- CS no Danger.
FWIW, Will be an interesting Brownlow count for this game
3. Mitch, 2. BB, 1 GAJ?

Interesting, being at the game I actually thought the difference between win or loss was once again Isaac smith.
He dominated and was the most influential player on the ground IMO

In English, please
Australian football player Scott Selwood gave an interview to the Australian media. During the interview Geelong AFL player Scott Selwood was asked about playing in the next game for Geelong in the AFL.
He explained “I should be right to play, but having to travel to Perth might complicate things. I have previously been injured having to travel coming back from injury.”

How’s that?

If you get physical with Natanui early he tends to take a backward step. Smith needs to knee him in the ribs at the opening bounce and make him wary. The physical ruckman do this to great effect.
If only we had a physical ruckman

We need some fresh legs.
Hope Duncan recovered fully
Murdoch, Thurlow were both virtually non playing emergencies.
Henry out/ concussion.
Parsons might need a couple of VFL games to dominate. Can't believe I'm bowing to popular opinion here.
Stanley CHF this week.
Smith in.

Ins- Smith, Duncan, Murdoch, Thurlow- experience, fresher legs
Outs- Henry, Parsons, Gregson, Cockatoo- 6 days too short?
Ideally, Menzel needs management, but boy do we need him this week.

Coaches voted Gawn BOG in round 1, and McEvoy second best yesterday. Stating the bloody obvious but curtailing Naitanui is going to be crucial to us getting the win. Can't let the third ruckman in as many weeks basically be the most influential player on the ground.
Correct. The only positive for us is that NicNat seems to play about 5 mins a quarter!

Parsons played HFF, & statistically was quiet. In first half, he seemed to be nowhere near the action at all, as if under instruction, but his goals were a credit to him- he did not retreat into his shell- that shows mental strength.

Ive been a Parsons fan - and his 2 goals towards the end were quite good

However i thought he got burnt off a couple of times - leg speed - lack of genuine pace might be an issue - after watching yesterday i think his long term rating went down a bit

What i like about Kelly if you watch him closely - is he is constantly calling for the ball - he wants to be involved - where as some of these other blokes are so hesistant they dont know what to do - and drift right out of the game

Interesting to hear C Scott on 360 last night say that neither Smith nor Stanley would say they're playing their best footy and, interestingly, that the MC didn't see much difference in them re: who is #1 ruck.

If I were part of the match committee this would be my team below;

R – Zac Smith, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett.

FB – Zac Guthrie, Zach Tuohy, Tom Stewart

HB - Jed Bews, Mark Blicavs, Jake Kolo

C - Mitch Duncan , Joel Selwood, Tim Kelly

HF - Lachie Fogarty, Esava Ratugolea, Nakia Cockatoo

F - Brandan Parfitt, Tom Hawkins, Daniel Menzel

B - Sam Menegola, Cameron Guthrie, Scott Selwood, James Parsons.

E – Rhys Stanley, Cory Gregson, Jordan Murdoch, Jackson Thurlow

INS - Zac Smith, Mitch Duncan, Esava Ratugolea, Scott Selwood

OUT – Rhys Stanley, Jack Henry, Mark O’Connor, Corey Gregson

With Scott Selwood in that would free Blicavs to spend most of the game down back, with Esava joining for helping in the ruck and another option forward. A forward line with Hawkins, with Parfitt, Cocky at his feet as well as our best goalkicker atm in Menzel looks quite deadly. And the holy trinity will be better again this week, especially if Scott Selwood comes in to provide some manic tackling pressure which we really need. Hopefully Cocky has a better game and gets his pressure game up a little more as well as he wasn't that great against the Hawks but he'll be more ready after the first game back. Rhys just has to go, he just loses the plot too often in games even if he did get 2 goals he's a liability.

I'm still feeling very positive for this year though. The Hawks system was VERY good and we did well getting even close to them, and once we get back Henderson and Taylor the 100+ points we gave away will be reduced significantly, as well as with better organisation and improvement in the midfield as the trinity work out how to best play with each other. Still good signs.
GO CATS!

Hello Geelong Fans! Do you know who's going to get smashed on Sunday?... Me while watching the game!
Good luck, hope you leave Ablett at home, being R3 surely he is fresh enough to travel.

LMAO. I hope it's not us! We are unbeaten at that venue though

I
If you get physical with Natanui early he tends to take a backward step. Smith needs to knee him in the ribs at the opening bounce and make him wary. The physical ruckman do this to great effect.
If that happens expect it to come back with interest.

Australian football player Scott Selwood gave an interview to the Australian media. During the interview Geelong AFL player Scott Selwood was asked about playing in the next game for Geelong in the AFL.
He explained “I should be right to play, but having to travel to Perth might complicate things. I have previously been injured having to travel coming back from injury.”

How’s that?
It's strange how Selwood couldn't get a game in our weaker midfield in comparison to your strong midfield yet he would be able to slot in to your current team. He was behind the pecking order of Shuey, Gaff, Yeo and even Masten and Hutchings. He had one outstanding year with us and apart from that was quite mediocre. His downside was his disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's strange how Selwood couldn't get a game in our weaker midfield in comparison to your strong midfield yet he would be able to slot in to your current team. He was behind the pecking order of Shuey, Gaff, Yeo and even Masten and Hutchings. He had one outstanding year with us and apart from that was quite mediocre. His downside was his disposal.
Yeah, we don't want him getting disposals, we want him tackling and tagging.

He wouldn't get a game as an attacking midfielder in our squad, either. But he's up there for tackles and our midfielders are more...er....attacking-focussed.

Yeah, we don't want him getting disposals, we want him tackling and tagging.

He wouldn't get a game as an attacking midfielder in our squad, either. But he's up there for tackles and our midfielders are more...er....attacking-focussed.
Hopefully he gets more shoddy disposals against us and gives us some turnovers if he plays that is.It's the least he can do to thank his old mates.

Couldn't get a game? I think you're rewriting history a bit there.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/112764/Scott-SELWOOD

From 2012-2015 he played 60-odd AFL games and only 2 WAFL games. Plenty of times West Coast brought him straight back without going through the WAFL (to his detriment) because he was so important to them. It's no surprise that once he got the VFL time to get his fitness up to scratch the last 2 years that he's returned to some of his best footy.

Ive been a Parsons fan - and his 2 goals towards the end were quite good

However i thought he got burnt off a couple of times - leg speed - lack of genuine pace might be an issue - after watching yesterday i think his long term rating went down a bit

What i like about Kelly if you watch him closely - is he is constantly calling for the ball - he wants to be involved - where as some of these other blokes are so hesistant they dont know what to do - and drift right out of the game
Agreed. I saw Parsons get done for speed by Smith more than once. That is no disgrace though- Smith has genuine leg speed. Parsons doesn't. That's why I hoped Murdoch would get that job.
I see Parsons as a HBF. I know he is well respected by CS, and I am a LT admirer, but what you said is true and worrying. His opponent strategically should not be one with genuine leg speed.

Interesting to hear C Scott on 360 last night say that neither Smith nor Stanley would say they're playing their best footy and, interestingly, that the MC didn't see much difference in them re: who is #1 ruck.
From where I've been viewing these past few years, that's my perception too. Not a lot in it, despite the rumblings here on BF by those who black and white say with Smith in we win yesterday.

From where I've been viewing these past few years, that's my perception too. Not a lot in it, despite the rumblings here on BF by those who black and white say with Smith in we win yesterday.
I agree with those guys, but yeah, it surprises me the MC still see Stanley as equal to Smith in the ruck position.

He just doesn't work hard enough.

Last edited:
Ok people need to recognize the buzza is blind and really cant play football anymore. Its sad for the kid. But we cant play players who cant see the ball. How about we just play stanley as a forward where he played well last week, kicked 2 yesterday in a brief forward cameo and kicked 3 against the eagles last year in perth.

It's so weird that a blind guy took 9 marks and kicked 2.1 in the VFL on the weekend - his hearing and intuition must really be beyond anything we've seen before.

Don't take this as a personal affront Seeds but when it comes to Buzza your posting is just awful. Absolutely shocking stuff, although often when discussing almost any other player or topic you'll make quite good contributions. So maybe work on that.

EDIT: Fired this one off without having read through the rest of the thread because the initial comment was, frankly, shocking. I just want to clarify that I am in fact not Wylie Buzza's dad, my son is clearly Aaron Black.

Last edited:
Couldn't get a game? I think you're rewriting history a bit there.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Ratings/Player/112764/Scott-SELWOOD

From 2012-2015 he played 60-odd AFL games and only 2 WAFL games. Plenty of times West Coast brought him straight back without going through the WAFL (to his detriment) because he was so important to them. It's no surprise that once he got the VFL time to get his fitness up to scratch the last 2 years that he's returned to some of his best footy.
On the contrary just affirming history my friend that towards the end of his time with us he couldn't get a game including the prelim and grand finals of 2015.
It was that year that he became out of favour and was often left out on the outer.

AFL
Selwood ditched, may head to Geelong

WEST Coast vice-captain Scott Selwood may have played his last game for the club.

The 25-year-old, left out of the side that earned a place in Saturday's grand final against Hawthorn by beating North Melbourne last weekend, has been linked with a move to Geelong next season where he would line up alongside his brother Joel.

He is set to be a spectator again this weekend unless a teammate is injured at training. Eagles captain Shannon Hurn said it would be unfortunate if Selwood, who will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season, didn't play in the grand final.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/eagles-leader-to-remain-on-outer/2789713/

I could care less how many touches he gets TBH ( im not looking for 3 clearly but not 30 either). We want to use him on the defensive side of bounces and contests to counter one of your lot and prevent the easy spread.

He played the Doggies last year and laid 17 tackles or so. That's how we want to be for us. If he gets going forward for us all the better, but him being in the centre is not to push out PFD, Sel, GAJ or Duncan for offensive focus.

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back