Preview Round 3 - Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Friday 19th June 2020, Marvel Stadium, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Bit of a Barry Crocker this afternoon at home against the Kangas. In fact the best thing you can say about today is that there were no injuries.

It's pretty obvious why the Crows let go of Sam Jacobs. Not only did he get creamed by Goldstein in the hitouts, I lost count of how many times he either didn't take a clean mark or fumbled the ball. And the only Giants player in the top ten on the stats sheet when it was all over was Coniglio. Where was everyone else? In particular I'm thinking of the newly hirsute Mr. Josh Kelly, and was Phil Davis even playing? 3 disposals for the day??? But seriously, everyone seemed to switch off after half time.

Well boys, it's time to wake up, because this seriously weird season has re-started, and we're playing the team that loves to hate us in five days time on their own turf. Yes, it's the Bulldogs, on Friday night.

Was anyone on this board lucky enough to be allowed into Skydeck to watch it all unfold?

Have at it.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
If the fact we just played woefully and got shown up, then surely being a Friday night game and against the Mutts will get them fired up.

Surely

You'd want to hope so. The Dogs will certainly be fired up after their woeful performance against St. Kilda.

Geez Hateley and Green would have to like their chances of a call up after that midfield display.
Perhaps, but the most vulnerable in Caldwell was probably the best of them.
The others probably won't be dropped. Lloyd and Cumming will be under pressure.
I think Langdon comes in, his pressure was missed.

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Perhaps, but the most vulnerable in Caldwell was probably the best of them.
The others probably won't be dropped. Lloyd and Cumming will be under pressure.
I think Langdon comes in, his pressure was missed.
Lloyd looked to pull up a bit sore. Even if not an injury that would keep him out normally, with no reserves games, a rotation with Langdon may be on the cards anyway.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
With a fit and stacked list anyone who gets a game, but doesn’t bring the effort should get a rest.
Was exciting to see Rowell and Anderson play so well for the Gold Coast in their 2nd games. Hopefully will give our selectors confidence to pump some games into our first and second year players.
I worry that some will keep their spots because of their ability, not their contribution. Drop Kelly, Williams or Green if they’re not performing.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Look i put the weekend down to a slow start against a team who was ready to go. I thought NM played well. We got beaten up in the midfield which was a surprise as i though that was our biggest strength going forward. When we won clearances we played like it was wet and looked for territory. We looked our best when we spread in numbers from a clearance and it didn't happen enough. We deserved to lose.

That said I don't think there is a need for bulk changes. We fielded a really strong side and I think we will make limited changes against the dogs. The midfield is full of class, they might just need a rocket up them and time to gel again. Remember it is a new ruck combination and it might take the first half of the season to dominate the centre. That said, Jacobs lost badly on Sunday and will look pretty hard at English this week I would think as a way to fix that.

For mine the biggest issues was we only had repeat entries and pressure in the forward half for a section of the 3th quarter and thats about it. The ball came out too early and easily and for that reason I can see Zac Langdon coming straight back in. Assuming there are no injuries and someone needs to be dropped would be Lloyd. 5 possessions and 2 tackles isn't enough of an impact i think.

Midfielders who were quiet like kelly well and truely have the runs on the board and ones that don't like Caldwell did enough to deserve more game time. In regards to the backline, I think thats the same backline that kept us in the game and would keep it unchanged.

Bulldogs85

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
NBA- Houston Rockets
Got smashed by Collingwood then st.kilda hate to see what you will do to us on what we have shown so far this year Not looking forward to this match one bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Got smashed by Collingwood then st.kilda hate to see what you will do to us on what we have shown so far this year Not looking forward to this match one bit

I think both sides will be up for it. They love to play each other (as do the fans).
Can go either way.

To be honest about the game can’t see any changes in the squad (injuries pending), if things go badly again Friday then changes will occur.

You guys have shown an ability to randomly turn it on over the last few years. I don't think anyone's going to be comfortable until there's at least a three point lead after the first quarter (going off the stats in Round 2 re: a Q1 lead), or realistically we're at least six goals up.

Look i put the weekend down to a slow start against a team who was ready to go. I thought NM played well. We got beaten up in the midfield which was a surprise as i though that was our biggest strength going forward. When we won clearances we played like it was wet and looked for territory. We looked our best when we spread in numbers from a clearance and it didn't happen enough. We deserved to lose.

That said I don't think there is a need for bulk changes. We fielded a really strong side and I think we will make limited changes against the dogs. The midfield is full of class, they might just need a rocket up them and time to gel again. Remember it is a new ruck combination and it might take the first half of the season to dominate the centre. That said, Jacobs lost badly on Sunday and will look pretty hard at English this week I would think as a way to fix that.

For mine the biggest issues was we only had repeat entries and pressure in the forward half for a section of the 3th quarter and thats about it. The ball came out too early and easily and for that reason I can see Zac Langdon coming straight back in. Assuming there are no injuries and someone needs to be dropped would be Lloyd. 5 possessions and 2 tackles isn't enough of an impact i think.

Midfielders who were quiet like kelly well and truely have the runs on the board and ones that don't like Caldwell did enough to deserve more game time. In regards to the backline, I think thats the same backline that kept us in the game and would keep it unchanged.

I agree with all of that.

Cumming the only other in danger, he had a couple clangers. Shaw still has a question mark as well.

Unlikely, but Sauce copped a bath, Mummy maybe an option. I think up against English we go Sauce as he will do well in the ruck and offer more in the open. But next time we come up against an experienced ruck Mummy might get the nod.

Lloyd is always going to fight for his spot, and happy for him to grab it when he plays well, unfortunately for him, when he doesnt, he is always a chance to get the axe.

I agree

I thought Hopper would be the one to put his hand up but he didn't really show that yesterday
If you look at the back half of last year, we take out Taranto and add back Cogs and Ward. Think that is a win ?

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
If you look at the back half of last year, we take out Taranto and add back Cogs and Ward. Think that is a win ?

It depends on whether the midfield clicks. We made our maiden GF last year without either Coniglio or Ward, and Taranto was a major part of that.

Coniglio is definitely a win anywhere he plays. Ward has been out of the game for 12 months and has 8 years on Taranto, so we'll see what happens over the next 4-6 weeks while we wait for Taranto to return.

Apr 30, 2019
AFL Club
GWS

It will be interesting to see which way the selectors go as far as the number of changes. I’m unsure if it’s better to stick with the super talented guys in the team who didn’t perform so well, or reward a couple of the guys who just missed selection.
I’d worry about the impact on motivation for players like Hately and Green if not given a chance when others haven’t delivered the required intensity. Being a bit rusty and developing combinations are factors to be taken into account at selection but I don’t think these challenges cover a lack of intensive commitment to the game plan from mids or forwards.
Excited for this week. Surely, whoever plays, all be up for the Bulldogs in prime time.

We lose this one and the annual Leon Bashing will begin. TBH it already began on fb. Here is hoping we can delay the inevitable with a W
It started in my mind part way through the game, but I refrained from posting about it because I'm willing to give pretty much every team a mulligan on this week given the weird preparation. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back