Preview Round 4 – GWS Giants vs Collingwood, Friday 26th June 2020, Giants Stadium, 7.50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
For those scratching their heads for an explanation about last night, check out these stats:

Zero (0) tackles – Ash, Haynes, Himmelberg, Jacobs, Shaw and Whitfield

One (1) tackle – Cameron, Coniglio, Corr, Davis, Finlayson, Ward

Pretty damning stuff.

I’ll tell you what. When we play these guys again, everyone knows there’s not much love lost between us, so how about we leave it at that, and just focus on playing contested football, and forget about getting distracted by all this stupid media hype, which the players seem to have taken too seriously?

What I want to know is, what happened to the team that showed so much resolve in the preseason, and in Round 1? Where have they gone? Not much point asking Leon, because in the post-match presser, he looked and sounded like he didn’t know.

To me, it looks like a problem of motivation. We don’t seem to have coped that well with the disruption to the season and maybe the players aren’t taking it that seriously. Sort of like getting psyched up, probably from a sense of unfinished business after last year, then having a kind of collective let-down.

To be fair, losing Toby and Josh Kelly as late withdrawals, and then Whitfield getting concussed didn’t help, but our problems run much deeper than missing players. The lack of goal scoring is alarming and it’s happening too often. 1.4.10 at half-time - this is supposed to be 2020, not 2012.

I think we should drop Jacobs for Mumford against Collingwood. At least Mummy will have a go. He was beaten on statistics by Grundy in the PF, but when he did get on top, it was often at critical times. I’d back him again on experience.

Whatever is going on with our mind-set, the Magpies certainly won’t have any trouble with motivation. They’ll be hell-bent on revenge and will see us as ripe for the picking, with some justification.

Whoever takes the field, we need a major change in attitude.

Thoughts?

Sort of like getting psyched up, probably from a sense of unfinished business after last year, then having a kind of collective let-down.
This sums it up for me. Flying round 1 after a ripper pre-season then it all went out the window.

One thing you know with the Giants is when they get out of form as a group they really get out of form. Will take longer than a week for Cogs to stop overrunning the ball, Zac Williams not to panic like a chook with his head cut off and Jez Cameron to find some energy.

And let's not start on the form Grundy is in....

Those tackling stats are a real worry. Was Cooper Cronk a victim of the Covid cuts? Could probably do with him around to help with tackling, but more importantly attitude - staying positive and sticking to the game plan.

Win or lose against the Pies it would be good to see the Giants getting out of their shells and taking the game on. Sadly, I’m not expecting this. I doubt it’s what the coaches are asking from the players.

i'm worried about this for GWS.

has to be a turn around soon
If we can't beat Adelaide in a 17 round season it'll be a waste of season with all our stars getting that year older. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Binger got concussed as well. We could be without the following for next week:
Daniels
Whitfield
Greene
Kelly
Which club loses four quality players in 1 week?
Of course no Taranto for a few weeks yet either.
Lineup could be:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Ash Taylor Williams
Perryman Coniglio Ward
Hill Cameron Finlayson
Langdon HH Lloyd
Sauce Hopper DeBoer
Hately Corr Caldwell Green

Too many young players (and lack of confidence across the board) to beat the confident pies. On the plus side the younger players are getting some game time.

Well, the youngsters are doing it for Gold Coast at the moment! And our veterans are hardly leading the way - it seems as though Cogs, Jezza, de Boer, Zac & Davis are the most out of form of our players at the moment.

Bobby Hill to replace Binga if he's still out seems a formality unless Toby is OK. Even then, I'd probably be tempted to try Greene & Bobby for Binga & Lloyd.

And if both Whitfield & Kelly come up, I'd bring them both in & replace de Boer - he's done nothing for us the last 2 weeks and I wouldn't tend to tag any of the Pies' mids. Keep Caldwell & Hately - even if we lose at least they are getting valuable games.

And Jacobs has looked shot, so try Mummy (hopefully well rested and ready to rip against Grundy) as ruckman.

Think we should just save up all our energy to try beat only u guys this year. So far it looks like our players are conserving that energy.
Just what we need another team to lift against us, can't we just cruise under the radar

Watching GC vs Adelaide, for the first time in over five years I'm not actually confident we'd beat even the Suns any more. :(
To be fair, im not sure anyone would be confident of beating the suns if they continue to play like that.

However all is not lost. ADELAIDE are the new suns. We get to play them eventually haha

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Binger got concussed as well. We could be without the following for next week:
Daniels
Whitfield
Greene
Kelly
Which club loses four quality players in 1 week?
Of course no Taranto for a few weeks yet either.
Lineup could be:
Haynes Davis Shaw
Ash Taylor Williams
Perryman Coniglio Ward
Hill Cameron Finlayson
Langdon HH Lloyd
Sauce Hopper DeBoer
Hately Corr Caldwell Green

Too many young players (and lack of confidence across the board) to beat the confident pies. On the plus side the younger players are getting some game time.
In Tobys presser he said he is good to go and that Lachie and Kelly trained the full session and should play in his opinion

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

left field suggestion.

In the Ruck, Grundy is going to win the hitouts in all likelihood, he'll also run either of our ruckman off their feet,

Would running Hately (or a finlayson or some other tallish mobile guy) in the ruck (he'll obviously lose the hit outs) but get around the park a lot better and at least prevent all of Grundy's uncontested possessions. Effectively we would be paying an extra mid fielder and foregoing the hitouts

Im not sure if it is crazy or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back