Preview Round 4 – GWS Giants vs Port Adelaide, Saturday 15th April, 4.35pm, Manuka Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

During the week there really was very little promotion of the game in Canberra. Just an odd radio spot on 106.7 that I heard, no TV that I saw. I had hoped that was because ticket sales were strong, until I got to the ground and saw plenty of empty seats. Middle of school holidays wouldn't have help, but think the club missed a trick in promoting the game. Hopefully they will be stronger in promoting the first Friday night game against the reigning premiers. The only problem will be the lack of Sydney fans getting down to the game.

During the week there really was very little promotion of the game in Canberra. Just an odd radio spot on 106.7 that I heard, no TV that I saw. I had hoped that was because ticket sales were strong, until I got to the ground and saw plenty of empty seats. Middle of school holidays wouldn't have help, but think the club missed a trick in promoting the game. Hopefully they will be stronger in promoting the first Friday night game against the reigning premiers. The only problem will be the lack of Sydney fans getting down to the game.
I've had to take Friday off work to make it. I did like the Canberra crowd. Suspect that's because a lot grew up with AFL. It is a substandard venue though, compared to Spotless.

I've had to take Friday off work to make it. I did like the Canberra crowd. Suspect that's because a lot grew up with AFL. It is a substandard venue though, compared to Spotless.

Most places are substandard compared to Spotless.

It's a bit chicken and egg with Manuka - won't get upgrades unless they get regular fixtures (three AFL games and the PM XI are the only guaranteed national/international fixtures each year) but won't get regular fixtures unless they get upgrades.

It's a bit chicken and egg with Manuka - won't get upgrades unless they get regular fixtures (three AFL games and the PM XI are the only guaranteed national/international fixtures each year) but won't get regular fixtures unless they get upgrades.
We are blessed with Spotless. I didn't realise there so few fixtures, I guess with no shield side. Big bash long term maybe.

Most pleasing part about the game is the reduced reliance on the older more experienced players.

Out of the team
Griff
Johnson
Deledio

On top of that Shaw was playing injured and up forward and the backs held strong and Ward was very quiet.

The more this happens the better we will be come finals when all these guys are back and firing plus cogs and Whitfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but my heart was in my mouth the couple of times when he went off at Port players when we had a shot on goal. He seems a little more circumspect down back. Suspect he'd pop a vein if permanently forward! :D

Very true. He was a bit over the top with some that but I can only hope it was in response to some lip that had come the other way (not that I think it fully justifies it). Also down back there are bigger ramifications if it backfires.

Being hit up on the lead and putting it to the generals advantage. Plenty of other forwards running around dream of being able to do that so easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yet the Manuka Green proposal could have accelerated the development. I considered going to Canberra for this. I had free accommodation and all. Part of my decision not to go is the poor venue.

Tough physical game for the first 3 quarters and then wether the Power faded and couldn't keep up the final quarter was the Giants at their best, win the contest and then the fast spread to a dangerous forward 50. Even lacking personnel it was good to see
Interesting to see with Cogs and Griff missing the younger players need to rotate through the contests and how they are performing, MK and TT in particular. Good for their development and also an unpredictability although later in the season it may not work as well
Great game from Scully for 100 as a Giant and also Williams is hitting some good form early in the season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back