Preview Round 4, 2018: Geelong v St.Kilda - GMHBA Stadium, Sunday 15th April, 4:40PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Cats

Votes: 100 66.7%
  • Saints

Votes: 50 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you'll find our coaches are completely fixated on being able to hold the footy in the forward 50 and are using Sinclair in an attempt to do this. Largely due to our small forwards being utterly useless. The footy comes out of 50 faster than a dump after vindaloo night.

Agree thats why I was surprised Weller didnt come into the side. Why with a competitive inside 50 number we havent been able to kick a score?

Its obvious our forward line hasnt functioned well. The talls havent looked like taking a mark and there is none of our smalls at their feet. Some of the reason is that our ball movement forward is that laboured every possession is under pressure causing the forwards to have to suck up the ground leaving us with no forward structure. Then on the turnover we havent been able to press up sufficiently to hold the ball in.

Its obvious that Richo appointing Kingsley as the transition coach saw this as an kink in the game plan, but I dont think they and the players have covered the hole Roo has left in that process.

So hopefull Buddha after last weeks failed exercise of moving Acres and Sinclair deep forward. When we had 4 inside 50's in the 3rd the coaches learn that they were robbing the only 2 functioning mids to fill a hole forward.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2016 Geelong defeated Melbourne by 111pts , Melbourne's team back then hasnt changed much from today's .
I see a fair bit of our current side similar to Melbourne's 2016 team .
Just ready yourselves, apply lube if you must but its coming . Just remember all wounds heal after time and you mite even s**t solid again ;)

However, its about half of the Geelong team in comparison tomorrow.....

There is no doubt that this year is going to be tough, therefore, I'd like to see the coaching staff use this opportunity to bring on Battle and McCarting among others to experdite our development. Stating that, it is also important that the game strategy is developed to suit the list that we have, as opposed to altering individual playing styles to suit a faltering game style.

Seriously what the **** is wrong with our coaches?

adxOozUb1pHn7sOp4FHimRs6AY1-lP5zdaE6jM_G1OkAz7aP7Hsuf1vxLt9td3nqcdtl2Cv2xmMsA6SvNZ7T9bL3lXJdSq27ElGydfM=w320-h240-nc

Adams and Wells didnt play.
They also have one of the worst forward lines because most of their first choice forwards are injured.
Do you consider Ross 'close to elite'? Because he is a much better player than Treloar.
Their current 22 is average and their game plan is flakey, but they crack in and play to their strengths.

I think Ross is close to elite, Treloar is probably more damaging at times but is a bit of a messy kick. I still reckon Collingwood has a better midfield than most teams. They have a better spread than Geelong and a bit more happy to do hard work where Geelong can front foot too much at times.

Seriously what the **** is wrong with our coaches?

Sinclair broke into AFL as small forward. He's been a bit off this year but perhaps it means Gresham who is really struggling might play more wing. Anyway keep your powder dry until you see why.

I actually really like the idea of Blacres as a key forward whilst out forward line is in readjustment. Evasive, good mark, reasonably accurate kick - extremely dangerous if left unchecked and I think that may be what Geelong will need to be wary of. They won't be able to throw all their defensive effort at Paddy & RoMa.

Reasonably accurate....he's a freak usually. Last week was the first time I remember seeing him miss a set shot.

Bruce out for 6-8 weeks with a back injury.

If true its probably why he has been so down in form. There positives are the club will be forced to give players like Steele Marshall, Hickey and hopefully Battle, Phillips & Clarke game time.

Richo is really being tested already with so many go to players out if form and now with injuries to Bruce, Membrey, Longer and Webster. It will really test his metal and the clubs depth this year.

Sinclair broke into AFL as small forward. He's been a bit off this year but perhaps it means Gresham who is really struggling might play more wing. Anyway keep your powder dry until you see why.
Sincs was dam good the 1st half last week playing up the ground and was moved inside 50 in the 3rd quarter, he suffered as did the team when this happened

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i think the playfair thing has been taken a little out of context. I think he meant focussing as in, that was the player in the forward line they talked about and showed some footage on, so focussing from a media perspective, i'm sure he'll rotate wing, and if he doesn't got help us all

Sincs was dam good the 1st half last week playing up the ground and was moved inside 50 in the 3rd quarter, he suffered as did the team when this happened

Perhaps he was tiring, most of our mids started to look out on their feet at three quarter time. I doubt Richo is moron and thinks that because something works he'll change it up. It was either to get Billins and Gresham into the game or because his tank isn't up to 4 quarters on a wing IMO.

What relevance does Sinclair playing small forward when he started have? He’s played his best footy BY FAR as a wingman. For a side that is struggling we need to keep things simple, play players in their best positions.

If it’s going to a howling rain squall tomorrow I think it’s prudent to switch one of the rucks out for Clark; no point in Armo in the form he’s in, nor Battle or Austin in the conditions.

Go small with Paddy the sole genuine tall in the forward line, plenty of smalls at his feet, and Marshall to ruck until he drops. I want to see him crash into Stanley at every opportunity... physicality was never Rhys’ strong point.

Gilbert can relief ruck seeing as he’d likely be up against Rutabaga. Esava’s size advantage (197/102 to 194/90) will be partially negated by Gilbert’s experience advantage.

Unless we feel like pinch-hitting with Carlisle to get him up into the action.

Negate Duckwood and we’re halfway there.

No Membrey, no Bruce, no Battle. Just Paddy....means no more excuses.

Also Acres is just about or best mid now so how about playing him there ? I don't fancy watching Geelong dominate the middle of the ground with Acres marooned on our forward line. I really hope its just a blind.

No Membrey, no Bruce, no Battle. Just Paddy....means no more excuses.

Also Acres is just about or best mid now so how about playing him there ? I don't fancy watching Geelong dominate the middle of the ground with Acres marooned on our forward line. I really hope its just a blind.
Surely naming GOAT at FF is a clever smoke screen from our exceedingly bright coaching staff to trick the dumb as DS opposition coaching staff :drunk:

If the weather tomorrow is anything like today then an agile guy like Battle or Clark seems like a better in than Hickey. But if it’s not absolutely pissing down I’d love to bring Hickey in and stretch their defence without Harry Taylor and Henderson. Paddy, Marshal and Hickey could be a tough one for them. I think when Hickey played his best football it was when he dragged opposition forward and took marks inside 50. I’d love for him to get that back in his game.

With Carlisle, Brown, Roberton and Gilbert in our backline we shouldn’t need to move anyone tall back. If our mids are competitive I think our forward line has its best chance to get some form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back