Autopsy Round 4, 2018: Geelong v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny that he comes in the top 5 nearly every year in the B&F. If he was a VFL player for us we would have probably won the last 7 flags because we would have the greatest depth ever. I couldn't stand going to the footy looking to see the mistakes of certain players instead of looking at the good they do but each to their own.
Give it up Plugger, not even Gears mum would agree with you on this one.

From the Stats.
Contested ball winning was pretty good, Steele, Steven, Hickey, Geary, Acres, Dunstan all got 10 or more CP. Steele disposed at 75%.
Long had 8CP for a total of 18 disposals, at least showing that he might be able to provide something in future. Probably his best game.

Savage had the most uncontested possessions. Hmmm if he's not that damaging maybe we should implement a new strategy i just devised, i'll call it "kick it to Nick".
---------------
Of the backs, most had good disposal efficiency except for Geary and White. Its harder to dispose well in a contest but compare:
Geary, 11CP 26 disposals at 69%. Coffield 8CP 17 disposals at 82%.
White went at 54%.
Of the mids.
Acres 77%, Steele had 75%. Newnes 50%. Sinclair only 57% Most of the others 60-70ish. Its sort of telling that our main outside mids are letting us down.
Forwards:
Marshall 44%. Billings 56%. --- Gresham 74%. Lonie 73%.
---------------
Clangers : White: 7, Hickey 6, Steven 5.
Only Nathan and Dylan had none. Marshall having 3 clangers from 9 disposals ( 5 kicks ) aint good.
---------------
Savage had the most marks, none contested. ( see comment , kick it to Nick ).
Hickey 3 contested marks. Paddy 2. Steele and Long 1 each.
---------------
Clearances were good.
9 to Steven. 5 to Steele. 4 to Hickey, Sinclair, Gresham , Acres and Geary. 3 to Newnes.
Steele matching Selwood in the centre clearances.
--------------------
Geary our most rebounding player. How peculiar. Coffield only one behind him though.

-------------------
Hickey and White both gave away 5 free kicks. ( sort of makes White's performance in total pretty putrid 7 clangers and 5 free's away ).
Players like Geary get in the thick of it and give none away.
_____________-
What happened to last season's tackling pressure? 7 to Dunstan, 5 to Gilbert.... 4 or less to the rest. 6 Geelong players tackled as much as 10 of ours.
-------------------
Brown 9 1%'s . He was not the weakest link. ( 5 to Carlisle ).
---------------------
Paddy 5 inside 50's. Was there anyone in there for him to kick it to? ( Gresh and Dunstan 4 each ).
Parfit and Danger had 7 each.
-----------------------

That's the thing that's completely missing for us this year. Last year we were a hard-nosed heavy tackling side who ran in waves and worked for each other off the ball. We lacked skill and poise but you couldn't deny our pressure game being very good and our work rate. We are lazy this year and all playing selfish footy.

The wheels on the bus go round and round,
round and round,
round and round.
The wheels on the bus go round and round,
all through the town.

Well I totally think a few of you are wrong and I find it rather ordinary that people are putting down our captain. So you want him dropped as well?
Granted a lot of it is tongue in cheek.
But since you've asked yeah I don't think Gears is AFL standard and has served his purpose.
Done better than most as far as a career goes given his limitations.
I would drop him as I don't see a lot of leadership qualities during the matches.

Granted a lot of it is tongue in cheek.
But since you've asked yeah I don't think Gears is AFL standard and has served his purpose.
Done better than most as far as a career goes given his limitations.
I would drop him as I don't see a lot of leadership qualities during the matches.

Dropping our captain who is having a better year than maybe 16 players. Ok. We must be going better than I thought.

Dropping our captain who is having a better year than maybe 16 players. Ok. We must be going better than I thought.

Do you reckon he'd be in the gun if he wasn't Capt? That was always the risk of naming him Capt. Makes him undroppable and when you're a borderline best 22 player it puts the club in an awkward position.

Marshall should play this week, well I hope , Membery should be clear to play as well.
Weller and Armitage back in as well - maybe.
Rice , Paton and Auston with 20 touches. - and one of these could play.

Out Roberton , Lonie , Newnes , Gilbert

Geary - Brown - Austin
Coffield - Carlisle - Rice
Sinclair - Dunstan - Acres
Weller - McCartin - Billings
Membery - Marshall - Gresham

Hickey - Ross - Steven

Steele , Long , Savage , Armitage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being Captain shouldn't entitle you to one guaranteed game, let alone a whole season imo.

I'd give him a whirl as a defensive forward. Show him what the horrific delivery feels like.
The backline is the most experienced. Don't need our leader hiding at the very back behind everyone else having negative to 0 impact on every game.

I'd give him a whirl as a defensive forward. Show him what the horrific delivery feels like.
The backline is the most experienced. Don't need our leader hiding at the very back behind everyone else having negative to 0 impact on every game.

Good idea I reckon. At least we'd get some fwd tackles and plenty of contests. Downside is that the first thing he probs does is knock out Paddy. Pity he doesn't ever hurt anyone from the other side.

Yeah but it won't be as horrific as Geary won't be kicking it in there.

Also I don't want to see anything against Paddy.

Last bloke to cop s**t when our midfield is bombing it to 3 on ones or taking pot shots from 60.

**** you Newnes

* newnes indeed, jacks’s deplorable disposal has been going under yhe radar for 3 years. The guy has a crack and from all reports a lovely bloke but for kicking points, poor decison making and just ******* things up in general he takes the cake. And anongst this lot thats no mean feat.

Do you reckon he'd be in the gun if he wasn't Capt? That was always the risk of naming him Capt. Makes him undroppable and when you're a borderline best 22 player it puts the club in an awkward position.

Borderline best 22.
You're being a complete clown now.

Geary has finished 2nd and 3rd in the last 2 best and fairest and was close to, if not our BOG in rounds 1 and 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back