Discussion Round 4, 2018 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't realise the oppo wearing white shorts reduced Port's home ground advantage, but anyway... :p
It’s more that Adelaide Oval is our home away from home , so wearing royal instead of white shorts (especially now that we wear full royal at home ) is fitting ;)

But why is it so important to know who is playing at home while watching? What extra benefit does that give to the overall viewing experience? Will a Geelong player suddenly get confused when playing Carlton at Geelong and wonder where he is?
It creates order within the game, instead of teams just wearing whatever kit they fancy. If teams know white shorts for away games they can build their clash and away kits off of that premise. This is possibly the greatest example of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

It creates order within the game, instead of teams just wearing whatever kit they fancy. If teams know white shorts for away games they can build their clash and away kits off of that premise. This is possibly the greatest example of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
It means that you get games like Geelong v Carlton where Geelong wear white jumpers and blue shorts, and Carlton wear blue jumpers and white shorts. It allows both teams to wear their traditional jumpers and not trot out a clash jumper even though their jumpers don't clash.
It means you get games where white shorts are used when they don't need to, like if WB were to wear white shorts away to Gold Coast.
It's an antiquated system from before easy manufacturing.

Last edited:
Teams don’t wear “whatever kit they fancy “- they wear what they’re directed to by the AFL

And it’s not an example of that because the system was/is broke(n) . Some of the bad consequences of the rubbery white shorts policy include teams which don’t have white in their jumper building stupid white based clashes (when an inversion is so much better) , white shorts causing more of a clash (if it’s one of the home team’s colours), and clash jumpers being used more than necessary

People who think that last night clashed need to fix their TV colour and brightness settings.
Agreed
The only Carlton combo which would’ve provided a better contrast would’ve been Carlton in full grey, and that would’ve been totally unnecessary
Navy shorts > grey shorts and definitely >>>> white shorts

Agreed
The only Carlton combo which would’ve provided a better contrast would’ve been Carlton in full grey, and that would’ve been totally unnecessary
Navy shorts > grey shorts and definitely >>>> white shorts
I just want to know if this means the Roos can wear full home away to Adelaide in full home in R22. Or can the Crows wear full home next year away to NM?

I vote for whichever combination provides a significant contrast (the maximisation of which I'll undoubtedly prefer as the years go by and the eyesight fades). Looking at the highlights of the North/Carlton game on the AFL website I'm not convinced that that was a significant-enough contrast.

I just want to know if this means the Roos can wear full home away to Adelaide in full home in R22. Or can the Crows wear full home next year away to NM?
I’d be ok with either of those
But only time will tell if the AFL is :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong v St Kilda will be interesting as this is the first time Geelong have hosted the Saints since 2014

Wonder if we’ll get this
332683.jpg

I’m hoping for Geelong in full home v Saints in Candy Stripe with white shorts though

Geelong v St Kilda will be interesting as this is the first time Geelong have hosted the Saints since 2014

Wonder if we’ll get this
332683.jpg

I’m hoping for Geelong in full home v Saints in Candy Stripe with white shorts though
St kilda don’t have the candy stripe this year. What we saw in r01 was a Moorabbin one off.

St kilda don’t have the candy stripe this year. What we saw in r01 was a Moorabbin one off.
Oh , forgot about that :(
Little point in St Kilda wearing the Crusader (too much white )

Well I hope it’s the above
But Geelong in white shorts v St Kilda in full home is more likely

I didn't think the Crows cared about wearing their clash, so I'm still under the assumption that they'll go the white guernsey.
I vote for whichever combination provides a significant contrast (the maximisation of which I'll undoubtedly prefer as the years go by and the eyesight fades). Looking at the highlights of the North/Carlton game on the AFL website I'm not convinced that that was a significant-enough contrast.
No no. We're just horrible and can't pick out a teammate, no matter what the opposition is wearing.

Based on yesterday , I wonder if we’ll get full navy v full royal next week (Carlton v Eagles)
I’m actually more nervous about this game (because it’s at the G ) than the Derby or Port games .
Last night was a horrendous oversight by everyone involved. Carlton should have been in white shorts. We'll likely be in royal with white shorts although we should be in yellow.

Last night was a horrendous oversight by everyone involved. Carlton should have been in white shorts. We'll likely be in royal with white shorts although we should be in yellow.
No it wasn’t
Carlton being in white shorts against North (who have a significant amount of white in their jumper ) would’ve worsened the clash
I can see the argument for grey shorts and/or the grey clash but it really wasn’t required

I really hope we aren’t in yellow

Wonder if we’ll get this
332683.jpg

Saints will be in black shorts, Geelong in white.

No it wasn’t
Carlton being in white shorts against North (who have a significant amount of white in their jumper ) would’ve worsened the clash
I can see the argument for grey shorts and/or the grey clash but it really wasn’t required

I really hope we aren’t in yellow
I wish people would stop suggesting that two shades of the same colour is sufficiently contrasting. People need to remember that not all fans can see colours and that even those who can will find it easier to differentiate between teams when the contrast is high. White shorts for one team will not clash with white sections on a jumper for the opposition because even colourblind fans can tell the difference between an arse and a torso.

Carlton should have been in white shorts at the absolute least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back