Review Round 4, 2018 - Richmond vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Richmond?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird, I have been a huge fan of Andrews since he debuted but thought he played poorly this week. Goes to show there is more to the game than what you get to see on TV.
In a team that was getting pumped I didn't feel like he was embarrassed, unlike earlier in some of the other games where it felt like he was out of position almost more often than not.

I didn't see it but one of my friends saw or heard Kevin sheedy talk about Harris.
He said you can't keep using the youth excuse with guys like him, as they have been in the system long enough .
I didn't see the interview but that was the message.
To their defense i would think our method of zone defending is doing their heads in.
Only works when you don't have our type of turnovers.

Too much confusion back there at the moment, the ball keeps coming back sure , but that is not a new scenario.

The pressure of playing in a backline that is bombarded like ours can be detrimental too. If anyone hasn’t seen Merrett retirement speech it makes for interesting viewing regarding this point

Personally I’ve struggled to see the on field benefit Hodgie is brining.

IMO it has been pretty evident in the manner we have controlled the ball coming out of defence and our willingness to hold onto the ball and switch, even on multiple occasions, as evidenced in the final few minutes against Port. In the past we tended to bomb it forward without much thought, but this season, there has been a lot more composure with the ball in our possession.

Now whether you would attribute that to Hodge, I'll leave for others to determine, but I dare say there is a correlation with Hodge's arrival nonetheless.

Mcstay and Darce have played 60 odd games and have had very little experienced support around them, they are at the start of their journey and are learning and progressing fine, its a huge job having to be a backline gengeral like Andrews has had to be at 20 years of age.. anyone writing Hipwood off just loses credibility. We have great young pieces, its just going to take a few more years.

My main concern is our mids, reckon the age balance is badly out of whack, would love to sure up that area at the trade table if at all possible.
That's it in a nutshell. The amount of inside 50s make it mission impossible for our defensive unit.The most inexperienced group,get the least support,their entire careers to date,have been played behind terrible midfielders ,who apply nil pressure on the ball carrier,and dont run.Gardiner,Andrews,Witherdon and co.are doing the job others dont have the guts or talent to perform .

I didn't watch the game. I will you tell you this though, I saw freo in a similar bad spot. Yes I am from Adelaide. I sat through that whole infamous Crows vs Dockers game back in round 15, 2009 where Freo kicked 1.7.13 for the whole game. So yeah I can understand the same spot you are all in.

Another thing is, even though Brisbane finished bottom last year, you guys were averaging around 85 points a game last year or 12.13.85. Freo last year was averaging 72 points a game last year or 10.12.72

The positives are

-Brisbane, like Freo played 10 or 11 blokes with 50 games or less.

-Brisbane lost to last years Premiers Richmond who are a top 4 team in the MCG.

-You didn't lose by over 100 points.

Had Brisbane played an ageing squad, kicked 2 goals at home and lost to a Bottom 4 side, then it would of been much worse. Strangely you guys are in a similar Position to Freo In the rebuild, not that its a bad thing. I remembered going to the Freo vs crows game at Adelaide oval last year and we lost by 100 points but I was calm about it. But that was we were 6-4 after round 10 rather than being 0-10 like we were in 2016.

Going to be realistic on here. Brisbane will average 10 goals a game this year. I wouldn't take it as a bad thing. Like any bottom 6 side, there will always be a massive gap between your teams best games and your teams worst. Averaging 10.10.70 isn't as bad as some people think.

Yeah, you might have a bad game and kick 5-7 goals away from home one week then kick 13-15 goals at home the next week. Looking at the fixture, Suns and Magpies at home are winnable. Its going to be a tough year but somehow gets wins from teams you least expect.

All the best for the rest of the season

I didn't watch the game. I will you tell you this though, I saw freo in a similar bad spot. Yes I am from Adelaide. I sat through that whole infamous Crows vs Dockers game back in round 15, 2009 where Freo kicked 1.7.13 for the whole game. So yeah I can understand the same spot you are all in.

Another thing is, even though Brisbane finished bottom last year, you guys were averaging around 85 points a game last year or 12.13.85. Freo last year was averaging 72 points a game last year or 10.12.72

The positives are

-Brisbane, like Freo played 10 or 11 blokes with 50 games or less.

-Brisbane lost to last years Premiers Richmond who are a top 4 team in the MCG.

-You didn't lose by over 100 points.

Had Brisbane played an ageing squad, kicked 2 goals at home and lost to a Bottom 4 side, then it would of been much worse. Strangely you guys are in a similar Position to Freo In the rebuild, not that its a bad thing. I remembered going to the Freo vs crows game at Adelaide oval last year and we lost by 100 points but I was calm about it. But that was we were 6-4 after round 10 rather than being 0-10 like we were in 2016.

Going to be realistic on here. Brisbane will average 10 goals a game this year. I wouldn't take it as a bad thing. Like any bottom 6 side, there will always be a massive gap between your teams best games and your teams worst. Averaging 10.10.70 isn't as bad as some people think.

Yeah, you might have a bad game and kick 5-7 goals away from home one week then kick 13-15 goals at home the next week. Looking at the fixture, Suns and Magpies at home are winnable. Its going to be a tough year but somehow gets wins from teams you least expect.

All the best for the rest of the season
Good post, however, if we averaged 85 points per game last year then why do you think we would average less at 70 points per game when we add to our lineup compared to last year : Robinson, Christensen, Cameron.

Tell you what, Richmond are looked after very well by the umpires. Be it Rance molesting every forward, or the constant holding at contests by the midfielders. If even a couple of ours were paid to Hipwood or Walker in our forward line, the score would have been a bit prettier.
Reminds of the Western Bulldogs premiership year. We were always going to be well beaten by the Tiges, all you want is an even deal from the umps that I agree we did not get. The Tiges got the 50/50's and we didn't. Not Richmond's fault, you play to the ump

Reminds of the Western Bulldogs premiership year. We were always going to be well beaten by the Tiges, all you want is an even deal from the umps that I agree we did not get. The Tiges got the 50/50's and we didn't. Not Richmond's fault, you play to the ump
Nah, not Richmond's fault at all. They don't control the umpires.

That said, the umpiring in the first half was absolutely abysmal.

The second half it swung back to us. There were so many comments on it on Twitter (incl from Tiges fans), news sites, and the TV commentary, that I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the AFL gave the umps a call at half time and asked them what the hell they were doing. Righted up after half time - we even got a few undeserved ones. Usually in our back half, just to even the count up a bit. Stef got a bunch of frees in the 3rd.

The part that really threw me was when BT announced at the beginning of the 2nd quarter how the umpires had all asked Dusty Martin if they could take selfies with him before the game. How the hell do they get away with that!?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was as bad as I have witnessed the first half umpiring. The crowd was feral in the Lions section and for good reason. The best one was when Stef Martin marked the ball and then got dragged to the ground and every Lion fan screamed for 50m. Umpire gave a free kick to Richmond instead!

Nah, not Richmond's fault at all. They don't control the umpires.

That said, the umpiring in the first half was absolutely abysmal.

The second half it swung back to us. There were so many comments on it on Twitter (incl from Tiges fans), news sites, and the TV commentary, that I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the AFL gave the umps a call at half time and asked them what the hell they were doing. Righted up after half time - we even got a few undeserved ones. Usually in our back half, just to even the count up a bit. Stef got a bunch of frees in the 3rd.

The part that really threw me was when BT announced at the beginning of the 2nd quarter how the umpires had all asked Dusty Martin if they could take selfies with him before the game. How the hell do they get away with that!?!
Yep, evened the count up but by that time the damage had been done. There were some really critical decisions in the 1st half that really hurt us. Ah well.... sh*t happens

Was as bad as I have witnessed the first half umpiring. The crowd was feral in the Lions section and for good reason. The best one was when Stef Martin marked the ball and then got dragged to the ground and every Lion fan screamed for 50m. Umpire gave a free kick to Richmond instead!

In the first quarter the umpire in our forward line didn’t pay at least 2 frees that were paid down the other end. I don’t mind if they miss a few as long as they’re consistent but they weren’t on the weekend.

Tell you what, Richmond are looked after very well by the umpires. Be it Rance molesting every forward, or the constant holding at contests by the midfielders. If even a couple of ours were paid to Hipwood or Walker in our forward line, the score would have been a bit prettier.
Don't think we can complain too much when Andrews does a fair bit of holding himself. Also think it was last year when we were the number 1 free kicks for in the comp.

That's it in a nutshell. The amount of inside 50s make it mission impossible for our defensive unit.The most inexperienced group,get the least support,their entire careers to date,have been played behind terrible midfielders ,who apply nil pressure on the ball carrier,and dont run.Gardiner,Andrews,Witherdon and co.are doing the job others dont have the guts or talent to perform .

We are 18th in tackling. No Wonder we cant win the games.

I can't understand how blokes just stand in front of the opposition with both arms out, unwilling to commit to a tackle, you'd think its a game of NBL

The issue is that it doesn't actually do much as you are giving players time to assess their options. They are then able to kick it (under no pressure) to their teammate because all they are doing is standing there.

They are under pressure. It's to force them to kick sideways.

The issue is that it doesn't actually do much as you are giving players time to assess their options. They are then able to kick it (under no pressure) to their teammate because all they are doing is standing there.

In all fairness to our guys, there aren't a great deal of players who can tackle well in those corralling situations (Tipungwuti stands out). Would much rather see our guys corral rather than over commit and give opponent a free run.

Certainly seems like it's going to be another interesting draft for us. Do we go for a well rounded mid, X factor mid, mobile tall, power forward, utility, etc.

At least we're likely to get someone we'll be very happy with.

Back