Review Round 4, 2019 - Essendon vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m figuring most of the hystericals have got it out of their system now.

Not a good day, but just a single day. There will be more like this over the next couple of seasons. There will also be more wins where we put everything together.

I would hope and expect that the key mood among the players is annoyance with themselves. It need be nothing more drastic than that. They started badly and never caught up. It is a valuable learning experience and will help reset things so players are doing the things that matter.

I am sure that within the club cool heads will prevail, they will deconstruct this loss quickly then move on.

I think the anti hystericals are more hysterical about others being hysterical.

The bearded fat one is my son & I was sitting next to him. Neither of us heard anything about matrimonial status. I sat & spoke to the lady sitting next to the one who was booted out she said their were no racist remarks to security. I know the mother of the 2 young children in row C spoke to security at least twice about the individual in the front row.

Yeah, I saw you come down and talk to the lady with the glasses..The Lions supporter, Joe, was in row B, section next to the cheer squad was pretty adamant about what he heard...add to that she was facing Joe when the security came down and security were leaning across talking to her..back to lady with glasses.. She wouldn't leave, security talked to a few of the cheer squad before going up and waiting for the constabulary to arrive 3 in all.. one being female.... Joe and I walked out together, dunno if you noticed that.. A couple of Essendon supporters made the walk out a bit of an obstacle . Not that it matters... but the mother that reported the matter would have been row D as there was 3 teenage lions supporters sitting in C just behind Joe.. I was next to them a couple seats over..I heard nothing from there

Last edited:
Great read lionraven, when is the next novel set for release?;)

TL;DR - the murder at the G last Saturday was an inside job. Lyons is innocent and Robertson was framed. It was that dastardly Matheison all along. Bring n my boy Keays or my second boy Cox. Keep the Raynerman for he will he rain down snags in primetime (unless he is injured). Matheison needs to hit the treadmills. Put Cameron/Linc tag team on ball/wing. Bundy vs Taylor vs Bastinac is a whatever choice - all 3 have advantages and limitations. The Hodge decision will rest on how much voltaren we can bathe him in. Cutler appears to have a touch of the FIGJAMs almost like a Motlop/Polec/Hall type.

Zaharakis sharks a McCluggage handball in the pocket, turns and centres to McDonald-Tipungwuti who marks and goals from next to the hotspot. (Q1 3:46)
Fantasia gives to Baguley on the HFF, he goes long to the square where Stringer shows strong hands to mark in front of Walker and goal. (Q1 5:21)
Mathieson sharks a handball by Hooker at CHF for Brisbane and kicks quickly, Cameron marks next to the behind post but misses. (Q1 7:09)
Hodge fumbles a loose ball in midfield as the Lions play a high defensive line, Shiel mops up and gives to Merrett who goals from 50m on a slight angle. (Q1 8:25)
McStay smothers Hurley on the Lion HFF, can’t get a handle on it but he produces a crumb for McCluggage to pounce on and goal from 20m. (Q1 11:40)
Hipwood roves and feeds Cameron in the pocket who shanks a snap into the behind post OOTF from 20m. (Q1 12:58)
Stringer has Fantasia over the back to gather and run into the open goal after Neale turns the ball over by foot in midfield. (Q1 13:23)
McKenna passes to the lead of McDonald-Tipungwuti 40m out in front, Walla boots his second goal of Q1. (Q1 15:43)
Parish passes to Brown at the hotspot who kicks truly, Bombers most definitely have the jump as their speed is irresistible

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/blog/bloglog-6931-bombers-lions-r4-2019/

If you want to see hystericals follow the live thread during the game.

I make it a point to never ever do that. The reactions people have to a single error in those live game threads are just outrageously over the top. I feel embarrassed for them, because apparently they don’t. People are strange.

I make it a point to never ever do that. The reactions people have to a single error in those live game threads are just outrageously over the top. I feel embarrassed for them, because apparently they don’t. People are strange.

More like heavily and emotionally invested which I fully understand.

I have some awesome melts during play, especially watching away games on the box. I often have to suppress irresistible urges to throw things at the tellie, especially when some dopey "expert" makes some inanely senseless comment (I'm looking at you Riccuto).

Which is why I have a self imposed ban on making comments on Bigfooty during the course of a Lions game and for 15 minutes after a losing game. Just so I can compose myself and hopefully restore some rationality to my thought processes.

Changes from "we are all crap 2016 AGAIN!!!" to " Hippy!!!!! we are Gods!!!" in the blink of an eye

Me at the Gabba. Although it's more for dramatic effect. Gets a bit of a giggle when I go from "Footy is the worst" to "I love footy more than life" in the space of 30 seconds.

Every team we play knows the way to beat the lions is start hard, rattle them and it’s game over. Absolutely critical that we get starts sorted.

and flood the corridor........ so frustrating seeing us revert back to the old leppa game style of just bomb it long down the line.

More like heavily and emotionally invested which I fully understand.

I have some awesome melts during play, especially watching away games on the box. I often have to suppress irresistible urges to throw things at the tellie, especially when some dopey "expert" makes some inanely senseless comment (I'm looking at you Riccuto).

Which is why I have a self imposed ban on making comments on Bigfooty during the course of a Lions game and for 15 minutes after a losing game. Just so I can compose myself and hopefully restore some rationality to my thought processes.

Come on Luthor, let it all hand out. I like reading melt downs. If Riccuto can make inanely senseless comments, so can you.

I have thrown my socks at the tele when watching a game by myself.

Oh, by the way, saying 'inane senseless' is pleonastic (this is my favourite word). Its like saying 'a violent brawl'. My son and I send examples to each other on our phones. Its our father son connection thing. I will send yours.

Put one of those smiley things in here please as I do not know how to add them.

Last edited:
Well certainly more balanced in here than it would have been in years gone by ...

I remember a game against iirc Carlton where we could do no wrong ... we kicked something like 17.0 at one point and some of those goals were very much pulled from our rear most orifice ... this game it was Essendon's turn.

Were we 'on' ... hell no but fighting back against what appears to be an almost magical streak of fortuitous events is hard and when you do manage it your own well honed skills seem to have deserted you and/or you start to perceive that you are doomed if all else fails from apparently focused green incompetence ... I was kind of impressed we ended up as close as we did and we're even in with a chance in the fourth.

This will, I hope, be a big learning step and motivational fillip.

Oh and how about that Sausages following the latest team that provided lids off potential ... shame

(yes I know it's a avatar bet)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching some of the replay and I still think it was the worst umpires game I’ve seen (both ways). Although sometimes the camera angles are pretty s**t at the MCG

Come on Luthor, let it all hand out. I like reading melt downs. If Riccuto can make inanely senseless comments, so can you.

I have thrown my socks at the tele when watching a game by myself.

Oh, by the way, saying 'inane senseless' is pleonastic (this is my favourite word). Its like saying 'a violent brawl'. My son and I send examples to each other on our phones. Its our father son connection thing. I will send yours.

Put one of those smiley things in here please as I do not know how to add them.

When we lived at Redbank Plains, back then a quiet semi-rural area, our neighbours, not even our nearest neighbours, used to somewhat gingerly ask my wife about domestic violence as they were convinced the noise emanating from our house on game day could only be just that.

Of course it wasn't, not unless you count cushions being loudly launched at the tv.

I've calmed down a lot- and in any case cushions aren't a part of our interior makeup any more.

Does anyone know what lead to McStays second goal?

Telecast was too focussed on Myers kissing Hippy’s boot.

When Robbo is quiet so are the lions. I'd say he was banged up from the port game. Only 4 contested possies and 2 tackles from him.

Robbo hurt his back in the port game - in an interview he was asked what was discussed in fagan’s post match address and said he wasn’t there, was getting treatment for his back.

Hope he is up and about on Thursday.

The more I think about it the more I think we just had a poor game. Everyone could see we were off in the first 5 minutes (and first quarter). If a team is not switched on then afl sorts you out pretty quickly. I remember Geelong beat Melbourne by over 100 points last game of 2016 season because Melbourne wearnt switched on. There was no way Geelong were 100 point better team than Melbourne that year.
Come out breathing fire this week boys!

Back