Review Round 4, 2019 - Essendon vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Monterronaldo

Team Captain
Apr 2, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A lot of players well below their best. Poor performance overall and Essendon deserved the win.

Interesting to see how coaches and players alike react now that Essendon have payed a blueprint to counter us.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I mean the first 2 minutes when Charlie ran into an open goal to put us in front but hit the boundary post got me off my seat before I slowly descended into salt mode.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Charlie has butchered two or three sodas in the last two games.

Almost seems to be getting over-excited and rushing snaps that he'd normally kick in his sleep.

Needs to maybe just slow down a little

FFB1

Premiership Player
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Boronia Hawks
As bad as it was I rate today worse than the Richmond game last year when we kicked 2 goals. Expectation this year, none last year.

lionraven

All Australian
Feb 17, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bundy with 22 disposals and 1 tackle. He was still absolutely trash. 12 pressure acts but most of those would probably have been from his failed 50cm handballs straight into the ground and then having to mop up for that. Lewy, Basti or reshuffle Cameron on ball and bring in Keays. Robertson was ordinary but so was the whole team defence. Too little pressure in the midfield in the beginning. Lyons offence was poor but he is one of the few that could lay a tackle. I don't know how we will inject speed into the backline. If we move Robertson we may not be able to give Hodge a rest. De Goey is going to kill us. Cox is also someone we need to give a run. His confidence from the NEAFL may rub onto Rayner and Cameron who have squandered so many chances.

We weren't good, but geeze the ball just wouldn't bounce for us in the first quarter and we blew every chance to tighten up the contest. I thought we did well to bring our intensity up in the third quarter but we just dropped off again when we were unable to make any meaningful score out of all those entries in the fourth. We still aren't good enough to expect away wins and especially against a game style we were a poor match-up for when we couldn't dictate terms.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
Well - digesting the loss. Not our best day at the footy, but if you had said at the start of the year we'd be 3-1 going into Round 5 vs the Pies, we all would have taken it in a heartbeat. The LID OFF side of me would have preferred to win both, but you gotta lose sometime.

We were out-played today and a few players had bad days at the office. The Dons were pretty good too and our fears about their forward line speed were valid.

We dust ourselves off, regroup and go again. If we had to drop one of Round 4 or 5 - today would be the one most of us would have chosen. There's no reason to sacrifice too many of the 22 who played today, but I think a couple might be under the microscope.

My LID remains OFF :D

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We weren't good, but geeze the ball just wouldn't bounce for us in the first quarter and we blew every chance to tighten up the contest. I thought we did well to bring our intensity up in the third quarter but we just dropped off again when we were unable to make any meaningful score out of all those entries in the fourth. We still aren't good enough to expect away wins and especially against a game style we were a poor match-up for when we couldn't dictate terms.
Yep, I reckon if we took advantage of our territory domination at the start of the last the Bombers may have tightened up, IIRC Healy was saying just before they kicked their first goal in the last the I50s were 14-3 our way. We were bad + it just wasn't our day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

abcde12345

Team Captain
May 15, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS
Definitely saw this one coming. Too much hype around the Collingwood game. That combined with a young team on a winning streak, bound to get a bad reality check soon enough.

The question is, how do we respond?

I thought Walker did a lot of good things that game. Neale is a superstar - imagine how bad it would've been if we didn't bring him in this season. Rich has also had a fantastic season. McCluggage and Martin I think to round out a top 5.

On the flip side, Rayner has looked terrible all season. I don't know if he is carrying something, or has just gotten a bit lost in it all, but his goals have flattered his overall performance I think. Charlie and McStay the past couple of games too. The two new recruits for the week didn't inspire either.

I feel like we have to back our players in to find form - up to a point. We are sitting at 3 and 1 now, and have a bit of time to get some confidence back.

HowYouDoin

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2014
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Real Madrid
Fagan deserves to be sacked for thinking Robertson is a good player. It should be illegal for anyone to be that stupid. Obviously this is a joke, but watch him pick Robertson next week

Some_guy

Senior List
Aug 27, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Disappointing effort. A few players need to pull their fingers out.

We know they are capable of alot more. Think it might be another year of roller coaster emotions

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't think it's half as bad.

Rayner's 2 misses
Mathieson's 2 misses
Cameron's 3 misses
McStay's miss
Hipwood's miss

Couple that with few extremely lucky bounces going Essendon's way, and the margin probably flattered them. We in no way deserved to win that one, but their finishing was the difference.

RickJames23

Draftee
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That was disappointing. Although tbh didn't feel like we played that much worse than the last two weeks just Essendon were much better. Couple of bounces our way and score could've been a lot closer.

Baffled why we didn't go with Cutler or Cox? We knew they had a lot of speed going in. And whilst they weren't the only ones bundy and Robertson didn't off much.

Hopefully we bounce back this Thursday. Going to need Rayner to make more an impact on the scoreboard if he's not dropped.

Clug, neale, walker, rich, Berry for the votes

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
There's no reason to go into a spiral of depression - we are 3-1, are playing good footy across the first month and have a lot of learning to do. Every week presents new challenges and this is no different.

Some players struggled today, but credit the Dons for playing a good game - they opened us up early, and we had chances to fight back late and fluffed our lines. That happens and will happen again.

How we respond is the next step in the process - and tbh, I think the Pies would have preferred we won today. They'll be fearful of a wounded LION - AND RIGHTLY SO :D

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
I still have us winning the Easter game. It's a mental battle when we go to the MCG. It's pathetic but it's reality.

I'm confident we can get our game going against a slower Pies side.

Last edited:
Back