Review Round 4, 2019 - Essendon vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Despite the few gloomy posts over personnel, I thought our major issue today was, as WLF mentioned earlier - we let them get off to a good start and ran second to the ball.

Overall, we weren't hard enough from the opening bounce - so, I see the issue as less about specific players than about application and intensity. Any team will look slow when kicks miss targets, balls are fumbled, tackles aren't stuck. I alluded to this in the match preview - today, we came upon a situation which couldn't be retrieved by a late lift across the group, as we were too far in arrears.

I'm happy to let the coaching staff look at what changes they feel can be or need to be made - they are much better placed than I am to make that call.

Don't think it's half as bad.

Rayner's 2 misses
Mathieson's 2 misses
Cameron's 3 misses
McStay's miss
Hipwood's miss

Couple that with few extremely lucky bounces going Essendon's way, and the margin probably flattered them. We in no way deserved to win that one, but their finishing was the difference.

This is what I came to say. At half time we were 8 goals down and had been outplayed. But we also had Cameron miss 2 sodas in the first, Berry miss from 40m in first, Mathieson after siren at half time big o not able get boot to ball in the goalsquare in the second, and mcstay as well 35m our slight angle midway through second.

All 6 very gettable at least. And one of those Cameron misses slingshot to the other end for a dons goal.

We then did the same thing in the second half.

Number of kicks we did directly to their spare man in defence was so frustrating. Let Hurley and hooker dominate the game. Hooker 13 marks!

When you actually analyse it ,Harris has been right out of form , we get no run out of our backline ,we don't have an imposing presence up forward , Charlie and Cam aren't playing well at all ,apart from Neale there's been no stars in our M/F ,Stef struggles at the centre bounces and Oscar is still learning....and we're 3 from 4 .

Against the Eagles everyone put in and we played with relative freedom . Ever since we've had serious down patches but still managed to win 2.

So I think the guys can really improve if they don't drop their bundle.

Funny how back lines look slow as soon as the side has a poor loss.

One of the hallmarks of our 3 wins (remember them?) was our run and carry off halfback and our transition to our forward line. Our win against Port was more in spite of Bailey rather than because of him. He had a shocker.

Personally, I think this "speed" concept is grossly overrated.

Surely it's more to do with organisation and creation of space, rather than pure speed per se.
Correct.

But we don't have any greyhounds down there when things aren't going to plan . With the players we have we need to be well organised and hit our targets . Plus today our mids weren't winning it from defence like they did at many stages in the first 3 games

I'm extremely disappointed at the amount of negative comment directed towards one player in this Review Thread. Sure there's been some grumbling about Rayner's output, a bit of criicism about Zorko's lack of influence and suggestions that Lyon isn't doing enough either.

But the guy that seems to be copping most of the heat is NRobbo to the extent that the term "scapegoat" is screaming out at me.

This is extremely unfair in my view, as is this idea that seems to have got a foothold that Nick was "playing" on MTW during the entire game and therefore was responsible for him getting off the chain.

For those of this misguided belief , go and have a look at the Highlights or the "Gamebreaker" thing on the AFL website. Apart from MTW's last goal where he beats NRobbo one one one, there is little evidence that he kicked 7 goals "on " the much maligned NROBBO.

The way some have been carrying on here, you would think that if it wasn't for the dastardly Nick Robertson, we would have won by 5 goals.

I get down, depressed,angry and frustrated as any of you watching a game unravel like it did today. I accept that there are individual players that have less than optimal games and that there is justified criticism of their games. There is no justification however for name calling, cries for delistings etc etc.

If I had 10 bucks for every time I've seen over the years "Player A should never play for the Lions again, Player B is "s**t", Player "X" should be de-listed, Player Y is crap and "I told youse he was", I'd be a wealthy man.

Losses are due to the Team under performing in relation to the the other Team

Finger pointing and scapegoating of individual players is totally counterproductive.

Dodongo agrees. It makes Dodongo sick. Dodongo is not surprised. There is always a whipping boy now that we lost the last one to Port Adelaide in the trade period last year. Looks like Robbo has taken the mantle which is not fair considering his output. Dodongo notes the same people that want him out are advocating for non team man Cutler and not AFL standard Cox in his place. Dodongo knows who Dodongo would want in the team based on output and what the coaches want

Thought we dominated the game after half time and should have ‘won’ the second half by heaps more than 2 points. You could hear the relief roar when bombers got the second goal of the last quarter to go back to 6 goal lead and fully seal the game... if we’d managed to snaffle another before that and get to 4 goals they would have been nervous.

Tend to agree with a few comments that raynor could use a break.

Think Robertson was let down by team defence on AMT. those last two goals were on Robertson but I don’t think the first 5 really were, he got a couple sliding forward from midfield.

Think against a ‘quick’ team going in with Andrews, Walker, Gardiner and hodge was too slow. Something we should keep tabs on through the season.

Hard to know with Christensen and stepping up from neafl. Started to get into it more in the last quarter.

Lyons quiet for second week in a row. Didn’t notice him at all till midway through the second quarter.

One area Andrews could improve is when playing the loose he often chooses the wrong option particulalry when the opposition is on a fast break. I.e. rushes forward and is cut out with a kick over the top or waits too long to rush a player.

Zorko doing some nice things but doesn’t seem quite as punishing this eyear as last couple. Don’t recall him kicking a goal or really breaking a line.

Ridley and brown had ~10 marks for them each. Maybe show hippy and mcstay the tape and show how to work over opponents and get some linking marks up the ground.

Just posting to say I lost an avatar bet today, so that's why my avatar is this piece of utter garbage.

I will be offline until monday night when I can return my avatar to it's proper image.

The things ya do......

I tipped Essendon today.

We've been here way too many times before to know when the club and the players are getting ahead of themselves and believing their own hype.

That being said, it still staggered me that the club and players did get ahead of themselves given they've achieved SFA and have just bought into all the positive stories being written and spoken about them.

But how they could've turned up today and not smashed in like their lives were on the line, as Essendon did, was really disappointing. You'd have to think they all had one eye on next week and even, given how well Collingwood play at the Gabba and how poor we've been in recent weeks, I'll be stunned if we turn it around in 5 days time.

Dylan, I think it is a very big assumption to make that the players are getting ahead of themselves and believing their own hype. Most of our players in the team today have been through so many losses and I just don't think 3 wins is going to give them an inflated opinion about how they're going. Perhaps a few 1st/2nd year players might let the idea creep in.

Fagan has been pretty consistent in his message that "the lid is on" and "snakes & ladders". He's stated multiple times that for a team that had 5 wins last year, we haven't achieved anything yet. I expect us to lose against the pies and it's nothing to do with todays game.

One minor decision I didn’t get was Big O starting in the ruck. Dons dominated that first 5 minutes and Martin was put in the ruck after their second goal from memory which led to Cameron’s poster.

Re: the cutler talk. I too thought he’d made it after the last 10 games last year but really get the impression he is done with us now. Recall a fagan interview in pre-season when asked about him and he gave an answer like ‘he’s got a few things to work on’ very non specific and quite dismissive. Seems to me (from afar and with no real knowledge of the situation) like lack of professionalism and team play are pushing him down the pecking order.

One minor decision I didn’t get was Big O starting in the ruck. Dons dominated that first 5 minutes and Martin was put in the ruck after their second goal from memory which led to Cameron’s poster.

Re: the cutler talk. I too thought he’d made it after the last 10 games last year but really get the impression he is done with us now. Recall a fagan interview in pre-season when asked about him and he gave an answer like ‘he’s got a few things to work on’ very non specific and quite dismissive. Seems to me (from afar and with no real knowledge of the situation) like lack of professionalism and team play are pushing him down the pecking order.
I can understand it because Oscar has been very good in the Centre and turned it around in one of the games . Today it backfired . These things happen.

Yeah I saw what Fages said about Cutler , unusual coming from him so you'd have to think Cutler is really on the outer.

I'd still take a throw at the stumps and give him a shot but obviously not going to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how back lines look slow as soon as the side has a poor loss.

One of the hallmarks of our 3 wins (remember them?) was our run and carry off halfback and our transition to our forward line. Our win against Port was more in spite of Bailey rather than because of him. He had a shocker.

Personally, I think this "speed" concept is grossly overrated.

Surely it's more to do with organisation and creation of space, rather than pure speed per se.

There have been people on this board who have said we’ve lacked speed since at least last year when I joined, it’s not something new that’s been criticised. Don’t let your distaste towards “hate” and “negativity” allow you to ignore things that have come up for some time.

People have brought up the Robertson is a clanger merchant, people have brought up our lack of speed in the back half and people have mentioned before that Rayner should spend a little time in the twos.

Speed isn’t overrated, the fast forwards score goals (every team in the league has one) and the fast defenders make the matchup/allow for a fast exit. You don’t need an all speed forward line or backline, however the 6-6-6 rules mean you either need players with speed, you need players that are able to get free from your man or you need players who can constantly create a contest as space is more readily available. We don’t have a lot of speed and at times our time players can’t get rid of their man.

On the way in to the game today, I was surprisingly not nervous or excited like I have been for the past 3 rounds. I couldn't tell if this meant I thought I expected us to roll Essendon, or vice versa.

It was sadly disappointing to see bombers running the ball through the centre freely (1st half). I knew we would get this game sometime. The fact we had 2 clutch wins in the last 2 rounds was a telltale that we will get beaten by a team that plays for 4 quarters. The calls for certain players to be dropped etc. I think is a reaction to us having the delight of winning the last 3.

We suddenly feel like contenders.

And so it's easy to jump to the "drop him!" reaction as if we are playing for a top 4 spot, when in reality, we are still a side that's developing its talent. We are at the frustrating stage where our investment is starting to reap rewards, but we aren't reliably mature (as a team) and not actually having a tilt at the premiership...(I think?!)
And so, I anticipate Fagan to persist with letting those selected to gain form/experience, unless they aren't playing their role?

I reckon that a young player like Rayner, even though down on previous form, needs to be out there, making mistakes. So he and those around him can learn.

NRobbo. I'm not his hugest fan, but how many players coming back for their 1st AFL game for the year, really light it up. He made mistakes, in backline under immense pressure. I also saw him today make some very correct and encouraging judgement calls/execution.

Zorko, his effort was there. His efficiency was lacking. I hope he can work himself into dangerous form. Gardiner, such a champ, but I've yet to see him anywhere near his form from last year.

Cameron. Strangely off today. Even his usually reliable setshots.

Fav moments.
- McCluggage goals. So so good.
- The sense of relief I felt each time Rich had the ball.
- Eric's goal early in the 4th.

On SM-N950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just a few too many with an off day.
Rayner if not getting the ball up forward should go into the centre to have a crack regularly.
Better team in the 2nd half - starts are a worry.
Pies have a smaller forward line too so may need re-jigging for Thursday. Rest Hodgey?
Keaysy surely has to get a gig and maybe C Lyons to debut?
Love the Suitcase #6. Vision and hands like Jobe but a way better kick.
See you there Thursday night!

I still have us winning the Easter game. It's a mental battle when we go to the MCG. It's pathetic but it's reality.

I'm confident we can get our game going against a slower Pies side.
Not trying to burst your bubble but collingwood have an elite lineup. Will most likely touch us up for our 2nd dose of reality in 6 days. If we get within 20 we will be doing well.

I have a theory that night games at the Gabba help us as the opposition also become fumbly with the slippery ball. Watching the west coast and port game it was a bit of a fumble-a-thon. Yesterday on a dry track our fumbles got exposed and the bombers were a lot cleaner.

Don't think it's half as bad.

Rayner's 2 misses
Mathieson's 2 misses
Cameron's 3 misses
McStay's miss
Hipwood's miss

Couple that with few extremely lucky bounces going Essendon's way, and the margin probably flattered them. We in no way deserved to win that one, but their finishing was the difference.
You know it's quite funny to say that those misses are what the scoreline difference is, because if they had all kicked straight then we would've been able to pull off a victory while playing that terribly.

We were slow across the park. We had zero flowing run, zero corridor influence, next to no grunt at clearances and couldn't stick a tackle to save ourselves - Hipwood and Hodge notwithstanding. Yet despite that insipid performance it would've still been better had we taken those chances and kicked straight.

So that's kind of interesting. Don't get me wrong Essendon deserved to win, especially with AMT's big day out, but yeah, just a funny shower thought.

And my god, the bounces. I genuinely hope Essendon supporters watch the replay and see just how many times the ball bounced on perfectly, or sat up perfectly, or rattled around in a pack to land in their possession perfectly... it really was one of those 'light-shining-down-on-me' days for them from that perspective.

1555194624350.png Ditto this - we all thought the same watching yesterday. The bombers had their heads and mindset in the right space and the light shone on them. One of those everything goes right games for them and good luck to them - it happens to all teams once in a while. Not deflating that good teams make their own luck and they capitalised on a bit of that too. Always thought AMT was the danger man and so it came to pass. Just didn't want to run with him or force him up the ground. It seemed at times that the ball was just out of reach, or just didn't quite hang on in the tackle or we realised too late what was going to happen in that moment of the game. Some non payed free's dropped the heads a bit too more so than any bad calls McArthy's mark the exception.

A good kick up the bum was what we needed long term I think and we got it. The guys will look harder at themselves this week and lift knowing they can't just rely on someone else picking up the slack from a poor game. Was it just me or did I notice McStay and Rich shirk a hardball get? Thats not on.

Stats make for pretty bad reading, which is to be expected in a loss like this:
- Bombers had 30 more possessions than us;
- They had 27 more contested possessions than us;
- Bombers made 12 more tackles than us (and only 4 Lions players made more than 2 tackles for the game);
- They had 27 scoring shots compared to our 20, though the inside 50 differential was only 3 in their favour.

We got out worked and out played.

Did like Hugh McCluggage yesterday. His second goal in particular was a cracker - reminded me of Aker a little.

Despite the few gloomy posts over personnel, I thought our major issue today was, as WLF mentioned earlier - we let them get off to a good start and ran second to the ball.

Overall, we weren't hard enough from the opening bounce - so, I see the issue as less about specific players than about application and intensity. Any team will look slow when kicks miss targets, balls are fumbled, tackles aren't stuck. I alluded to this in the match preview - today, we came upon a situation which couldn't be retrieved by a late lift across the group, as we were too far in arrears.

I'm happy to let the coaching staff look at what changes they feel can be or need to be made - they are much better placed than I am to make that call.
Agree - PLUS Kicking accuracy in front of goal comes to mind, and kicking accuracy/selection kicking into forward 50. Is it better coaching to handle pressure???

Back