Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thursday, April 11
Sydney v Melbourne (SCG) (N)

Friday, April 12
Collingwood v Western Bulldogs (MCG) (N)

Saturday, April 13
Geelong v Greater Western Sydney (GMHBA)
Essendon v Brisbane Lions (MCG)
Port Adelaide v Richmond (AO) (T)
North Melbourne v Adelaide (MRVL) (N)
West Coast v Fremantle (OS) (N)

Sunday, April 14
Gold Coast v Carlton (MS)
St Kilda v Hawthorn (MRVL)

Not a whole lot of talking points this week. The main discussion areas this week:
  • Will Geelong wear navy shorts at home again, or was Round 2 a once-off owing to Melbourne's Redback jumper
  • Richmond and the umpires will be wearing their clash jumpers
  • The Crows could get away with full home vs North, but most likely they'll wear their clash
  • Hawthorn may trot out the 'Legends' jumper again
  • Stock-standard clash/away jumpers for Brisbane and Freo
One thing that should occur this week (most notably Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs) and should've occurred last week is a coloured shorts policy. Adding white shorts to match up against Collingwood is messy, especially when there's nothing wrong with royal blue shorts

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Crows in full home would look mint. Some may remember my position on royal vs navy but I'm somewhat converted - especially when there are break-up colours like in this matchup.

BeeEye0015

Rookie
Dec 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
From HawksNest
"2019 sees the introduction of the clubs 'Legends' series commemorative guernsey that will be worn on-field when we play away from the MCG and first seen during our Round 1 clash with the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on Saturday, March 23rd."

“not a whole lot of talking points”, goes on to list 7 of the 9 games.
:think:

I probably should have reworked the intro. Only realised how much there was to talk about after I typed that put, and I was too lazy to edit

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
From HawksNest
"2019 sees the introduction of the clubs 'Legends' series commemorative guernsey that will be worn on-field when we play away from the MCG and first seen during our Round 1 clash with the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on Saturday, March 23rd."
So this is the long way of saying Hawks will be in legends tops this weekend?

Not a whole lot of talking points this week. The main discussion areas this week:
  • Will Geelong wear navy shorts at home again, or was Round 2 a once-off owing to Melbourne's Redback jumper
  • Richmond and the umpires will be wearing their clash jumpers
  • The Crows could get away with full home vs North, but most likely they'll wear their clash
  • Hawthorn may trot out the 'Legends' jumper again
  • Stock-standard clash/away jumpers for Brisbane and Freo
One thing that should occur this week (most notably Collingwood vs Western Bulldogs) and should've occurred last week is a coloured shorts policy. Adding white shorts to match up against Collingwood is messy, especially when there's nothing wrong with royal blue shorts
Time to get serious.

1. It could be Melbourne pushing for the redback as an away jumper. Although this weeks game against the Swans wouldn't be the best chance to check this theory, as the Red on the backs would clash, and the fact no team wears white shorts against the Swans with their home jumper.
3. This would have been a good game for the yellow / white combination. Oh wait, the umpires :D
5. Brisbane in their Melbourne jumper against Essendon, and Freo in clash against West Coast (good to see this game not fixture on Sunday night like usual).

any chance freo could wear their home jumper against us in the future

Not unless they remove their 'purple/purple' and 'white/white' rule which they've had pretty much since their rebrand in 2011

Even then, their home jumper with white shorts vs West Coast would be messy

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Not unless they remove their 'purple/purple' and 'white/white' rule which they've had pretty much since their rebrand in 2011

Even then, their home jumper with white shorts vs West Coast would be messy

Would actually look good but they don’t do it. They should in a derby

Would actually look good but they don’t do it. They should in a derby

It's probably worth trying again (maybe not a Derby though), but the most recent time they did it (Round 14 2013 vs Geelong) looked messy. I like how they go for the solid matching colour look, it's much cleaner. Similar to the Cats, as traditional as navy shorts and socks are, we look much cleaner in white shorts and socks

292604.jpg

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
It's probably worth trying again (maybe not a Derby though), but the most recent time they did it (Round 14 2013 vs Geelong) looked messy. I like how they go for the solid matching colour look, it's much cleaner. Similar to the Cats, as traditional as navy shorts and socks are, we look much cleaner in white shorts and socks

292604.jpg
This looked messy due to what the opposition kit was as well.
Purple and white vs white and navy.

If they wore that against GC it'd be fine. Just unnecessary.

Freo refuses to wear purple with whit shorts since that round 14 game against us. Was even offered this combo for the GF but elected the clash jumper.

I would be surprised to see this back in 2019.

If Geelong are wearing navy at home again (JLT 2 and Round 2 so far) it could be an interesting discussion next time Freo are scheduled to return to Geelong.

Will Geelong’s new clash jumper come out at some point? (Use that once or twice to be in Navy at home full time)

Remember it is a straight inverse of the home jumper now.

Crows in full home would look mint. Some may remember my position on royal vs navy but I'm somewhat converted - especially when there are break-up colours like in this matchup.
Haha I do remember your stance on it , and our discussions on the topic from a while ago . I haven’t changed my mind , but do wonder if your conversion coincided with Adelaide’s switch from BLK to ISC ? The shade of navy makes a difference.

I agree with you though in that Crows in full home would look great , but then being in the clash is more likely.

any chance freo could wear their home jumper against us in the future
Purple vs Royal - no thanks.
Their modern shade of purple is too similar to our royal . Besides the full royal v white matchup is eyecathing , and the full purple v peril (even if it’s with rubbery white shorts) is too , so I hope Freo never regress back into not wearing the clash against us (or us doing vice versa ) . I’d like to see them wear purple /white shorts against Gold Coast (full red) though .

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Haha I do remember your stance on it , and our discussions on the topic from a while ago . I haven’t changed my mind , but do wonder if your conversion coincided with Adelaide’s switch from BLK to ISC ? The shade of navy makes a difference.
What sold me a bit was the WCE-Melb final last year. Looked gold. As opposed to Crows-Eagles under lights at AAMI back in the day.

Will Geelong’s new clash jumper come out at some point? (Use that once or twice to be in Navy at home full time)

I'm keen for us to wear the clash jumper at home a couple of times, just to add some variety into what we wear. Don't get me wrong, I love our home jumper, but every now and again it's nice to see us wear something different.

Maybe a navy based Indigenous jumper could be on the cards this year? We play Sydney and Gold Coast across the Indigenous round/s so there's no issue regarding a clash, and we've had the same design for a couple of years now, the club might be looking for a new design.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
North have also schedule to bring out their away jumper against you guys in Round 21 (??). Could end up being messy if Geelong are opting to wear navy shorts this year.

They've worn both navy and white shorts at home vs GWS, so it will be interesting. Probably not the best indicator. They host West Coast is Round 6 or 7.

cmBuzza

Debutant
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Freo refuses to wear purple with whit shorts since that round 14 game against us. Was even offered this combo for the GF but elected the clash jumper.

I would be surprised to see this back in 2019.

If Geelong are wearing navy at home again (JLT 2 and Round 2 so far) it could be an interesting discussion next time Freo are scheduled to return to Geelong.

I'm keen for us to wear the clash jumper at home a couple of times, just to add some variety into what we wear. Don't get me wrong, I love our home jumper, but every now and again it's nice to see us wear something different.

Maybe a navy based Indigenous jumper could be on the cards this year? We play Sydney and Gold Coast across the Indigenous round/s so there's no issue regarding a clash, and we've had the same design for a couple of years now, the club might be looking for a new design.

This is the response I got from the cats store when I asked if player issue clash guernseys will be available

Thank you for your email.

As the players most likely will not be playing in their clash guernsey this year, they will not be produced as player issue.

Kind regards,

So unlikely we’ll see them unfortunately

This is the response I got from the cats store when I asked if player issue clash guernseys will be available

Thank you for your email.

As the players most likely will not be playing in their clash guernsey this year, they will not be produced as player issue.

Kind regards,

So unlikely we’ll see them unfortunately

Bugger, oh well. No doubt we'll end up wheeling out a Country and Retro jumper like last year, and possibly a 10-year anniversary of the Golden Era jumper (unlikely though, given the humbleness of the playing group), as well as the Indigenous jumper

From HawksNest
I don't understand why they can't call it the away/clash jumper. The same thing happened with Essendon when they rolled out their silver clash guernsey and called it a 'heritage'.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
possibly a 10-year anniversary of the Golden Era jumper (unlikely though, given the humbleness of the playing group), as well as the Indigenous jumper
Was gonna say. 10 years since the '09 Flag. But given nothings really changed jumper wise, there isn't much cause to do anything other than wheel out the premiership flag and cup of you guys host St Kilda this year

Was gonna say. 10 years since the '09 Flag. But given nothings really changed jumper wise, there isn't much cause to do anything other than wheel out the premiership flag and cup of you guys host St Kilda this year

The only thing we might be able to do would be minor, something like three premiership cups above the numbers and some writing below the AFL logo

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I don't understand why they can't call it the away/clash jumper. The same thing happened with Essendon when they rolled out their silver clash guernsey and called it a 'heritage'.
It's a point of difference I guess. It's a jumper with a legend on it so it's a legends jumper. It's the same as calling it an "all-gold jumper" coz it's basically all gold (no stripes). And in Essendon's case it may help them feel superior coz they don't have a clash jumper; they just coincidentally wear the Heritage jumper in all matches where they can't wear black.

Back