Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

giphy.gif

Also must say, didn't notice much at the ground but on watching the replay Kent really did some good things. Would not be upset if he kept is spot but would want him to tidy up a little bit.
giphy.gif

austinnn

Veteran GOP
Nov 7, 2012
France
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bristol City FC, Urawa Red Diamonds FC
Genuinely one of the best passages I've ever seen from the Saints. Up there with the Riewoldt mark which went Dal Santo handball to Harvey kick to Riewoldt who almost kills Milne in the process
Surely the lead up to the Kent goal during our run in the Essendon game in Rd 2 is up there with the most pleasing.

Fantastic! Does anyone know why it was play-on though?

Ran off his line by the looks. Umpire was calling it early, funny how Parker who was further away caught on. Kid is switched on

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
He divides opinion because he has such great potential but only produces very occasionally.

Yesterday he stood up and was instrumental in the win. But he polarises because he has been on the list 5 years and is still in and out of the team.

If you read any of my posts about him during the week, you would see, like all Saints players, I want him to succeed. I had seen glimpses, but hardly anything to fap about like the groupies on the forum do about him.

Richo playing him.in the ruck was a great move, got him involved in the action and he clicked into the player he can be. I was excited to see him take the game on and play to expectations.
However, before the GOATEES do a victory lap and get a touch of the vapours, I want to see that from him every week That should be his minimum level.

If he can build on this one game and get better which in my mind is very achievable, we have a weapon that can be instrumental in getting us into the finals

So that is the challenge. Lets hope he doesn't frustrate like he has for the past 5 seasons. Time to have a breakout year like Jack Billings.
The problem with the criticism by many last week wasn’t that it was unreasonable to be disappointed with a player under-performing – that’s fine – more that when given context by others (in this case, it was that Blake has played many very good games as a midfielder last year and the year before and never thrives as a forward pocket) this was just dismissed completely and the anti-Acres pile-on continued.

Ultimately Blake’s match-winning return to form in the midfield against the Hawks settled things once and for all but it was still frustrating to see a young bloke (who has shown a lot over the past 3 years and was just returning from a nasty case of OP and a back injury in pre-season) unfairly have his place in the team and whole career questioned on the back of a quiet game in a position that is a graveyard for him and pretty much anyone that plays it in our team.

Last edited:

Savage's name would be planted very neatly into the list of most improved players this year. Hard to criticise a guy who has hardly missed a beat all year. Who ever has been working with him seems to have changed his whole demeanour.

Just out of interest who do you think should play midfield and for how long. Not including the wing and lets just say Steven is playing.

You do realise they roll a lot more players through the middle these days.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
You do realise they roll a lot more players through the middle these days.
Wow. I would never have guessed but when people whinge about players not playing full time mid well the maths says that can’t happen. There is 300% of play to fill up and if 5 players take 270% that leaves 30% for the rest. Even 5 players taking that amount is only 54% each so those wanting acres for example to be a full time mid and then whinging not enough are going through the middle are arguing against themselves. Maths. Basic maths actually

For all the GOAT cultists, interesting that supercoach Clarko and mini bus Richo couldnt find 1 point between them for their 5,4,3,2, and 1 votes.

Just sayin'.

There were about 10 players who performed out of their skins, most weeks a heap could have had votes.

Wow. I would never have guessed but when people whinge about players not playing full time mid well the maths says that can’t happen. There is 300% of play to fill up and if 5 players take 270% that leaves 30% for the rest. Even 5 players taking that amount is only 54% each so those wanting acres for example to be a full time mid and then whinging not enough are going through the middle are arguing against themselves. Maths. Basic maths actually

I don’t think many people are saying Acres should be a full time mid at all. But he should certainly get some time in there, which historically he hasn’t.
We’ve just been crying out to change it up, rotate more players through there and make it more unpredictable...which is what seems to be happening more lately.

We have an absolute gem in Cal Wilkie.

Two instances in the final 2 minutes of the game where he took possession of the ball and immediately let the Hawthorn player bring him to ground / held it in to get a ball-up. It was really smart football, great footy smarts to be able to do that twice in the dying minutes of a close game. Didn't panic and shoot a handball out, he knew he didn't have prior and the umpire wouldn't ping him. Loved it!

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I don’t think many people are saying Acres should be a full time mid at all. But he should certainly get some time in there, which historically he hasn’t.
We’ve just been crying out to change it up, rotate more players through there and make it more unpredictable...which is what seems to be happening more lately.
That was because we had dunstan in the side which some people wanted. That’s the thing. When 100 people express 300 different things tomost the coaches won’t get it right because it’s impossible to please all the people when their opinions are different.

We have an absolute gem in Cal Wilkie.

Two instances in the final 2 minutes of the game where he took possession of the ball and immediately let the Hawthorn player bring him to ground / held it in to get a ball-up. It was really smart football, great footy smarts to be able to do that twice in the dying minutes of a close game. Didn't panic and shoot a handball out, he knew he didn't have prior and the umpire wouldn't ping him. Loved it!

What about that flying spoil which he left his man to make.
It’s that analytical accounting brain of his. :)
What a great pickup.

That was because we had dunstan in the side which some people wanted. That’s the thing. When 100 people express 300 different things tomost the coaches won’t get it right because it’s impossible to please all the people when their opinions are different.

Yeah, but it certainly doesn’t stop us all from having an opinion!!

I like Dunstan, but I can see where having him there, with no other position to really play, would be keeping others out.

Back