Autopsy Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Remove this Banner Ad

Look at post #664 and #667 of this thread for the deliberates not paid. Those along with the non-mark paid, the 50 metres before half time... The Hawks certainly weren't hard done by.

But yes, he dragged it in.

Yes he might have dragged it in but there were a heap of those during the game that werent paid . Its frustrating for supporters when decisions are paid sometimes but not always . Same with the deliberate out of bounds rule or the 50 metre rule .
For example , a Hawks player was paid a freekick against for holding the ball , he was on the ground and had the ball . He then let the ball go and stood up , right in front of the umpire , no 50 paid . Why not ?
Brown was paid 50 against him when he stepped over the mark apparently when it had no influence on the Hawk player having his kick . The umpire was about 25 metres away and Brown just ran up to where he thought it should be . There was no way for him to tell where exactly the mark was . Why didnt the umpire just yell back a metre like they do the rest of the game .

These rules are just stupid , either pay them all or dont pay any .

Im not saying that the Hawks got all the frees , i just dont notice what should be paid for them .
I know umpires make mistakes , who doesnt , but this has been going on for years and nothing ever seems to get done about it .

Don’t Panic !!

Look at post #664 and #667 of this thread for the deliberates not paid. Those along with the non-mark paid, the 50 metres before half time... The Hawks certainly weren't hard done by.

Yep, anyone who reckons that's anything but a free kick is ignorant of the rule and/or how it is interpreted.

Yes he might have dragged it in but there were a heap of those during the game that werent paid . Its frustrating for supporters when decisions are paid sometimes but not always . Same with the deliberate out of bounds rule or the 50 metre rule .
For example , a Hawks player was paid a freekick against for holding the ball , he was on the ground and had the ball . He then let the ball go and stood up , right in front of the umpire , no 50 paid . Why not ?
Brown was paid 50 against him when he stepped over the mark apparently when it had no influence on the Hawk player having his kick . The umpire was about 25 metres away and Brown just ran up to where he thought it should be . There was no way for him to tell where exactly the mark was . Why didnt the umpire just yell back a metre like they do the rest of the game .

These rules are just stupid , either pay them all or dont pay any .

Im not saying that the Hawks got all the frees , i just dont notice what should be paid for them .
I know umpires make mistakes , who doesnt , but this has been going on for years and nothing ever seems to get done about it .

Don’t Panic !!

I dunno, frankly I think if you scoop it up and don't get rid of it you're going to have a bad time.

Do agree on the rest of the gray-area ones though. Too much left to interpretation is what leads to the inconsistencies in my opinion. Make the rules clearly black and white and we'd see much more predictable calls when it comes down to the umpire guessing the intent of a player or similar.

unfairly have his place in the team and whole career questioned on the back of a quiet game in a position that is a graveyard for him and pretty much anyone that plays it in our team.

Mostly agree with this fair criticism (I was definitely guilty of it). Interesting the graveyard thing though - Lonie certainly made the most of forward pocket this week! Makes his performance even more impressive.

Yes he might have dragged it in but there were a heap of those during the game that werent paid .

I reckon 80% of the reason that free was paid was thanks to the crowd. The "noise of affirmation" was pretty big at the ground. This is why WC get lots of dubious frees at home, fantastic to see us on the right side of the ledger on one.

funny how Parker who was further away caught on. Kid is switched on

I thought exactly the same thing.....he was lurking and he knew the exact right time to launch the tackle without giving a free kick away.

I was very impressed.....to put it mildly.

I dare you to post that gif on the Hawks board.

It is what it is BT....fully understand where yr coming from.

The umps will never get everything right....split second decisions need to be made with at times slightly different interpretations from 3 different people..

Thankfully it went our way in those last minutes.

I had a quick look at their autopsy thread last night...…."they waz robbed" was the general call.

How did they loose to a crap team like us was the general theme.

That clip would induce a small riot.

LOL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing if noticed about todays game is that we seem to be going through the middle more often.
Rooey quoted the stats yesterday on SEN that we're NO-1 for going thru the corridor so far this season.

Last season....we were NO-18 after 22 rounds.

Our tackling was brilliant on the weekend but we have to give a special mention to probably the smallest guy in the AFL. Jack LONIE is a tackling 'cannon ball' this year, his aggression and technique are a sight to behold.

Kudos has to go the Richo, Slater and the other coaches for our tackling pressure its been game changing. More kudos to the selection committee and coaches for trusting Sinclair, Gresham to play Dunstans role, a week late but it happened. Further the move of Acres rucking which I was skeptical about, but it was a big winner this week. Hopefully it gives Blake the confidence he needs going forward.

Last edited:
The fall of "free kick hawthorn" hawks fans to complain about one decision (which was correct)
Short memories, was it 2 year ago in taz the umps didn't call that blatant HTB in the goalsquare against Smith/bruest in the dying seconds and cost us the win.
That’s every week for them.

Our tackling was brilliant on the weekend but we have to give a special mention to probably the smallest guy in the AFL. Jack LONIE is a tackling 'cannon ball' this year, his aggression and technique are a sight to behold.

Kudos has to go the Richo, Slade and the other coaches for our tackling pressure its been game changing. More kudos to the selection committee and coaches for trusting Sinclair, Gresham to play Dunstans role, a week late but it happened. Further the move of Acres rucking which I was skeptical about, but it was a big winner this week. Hopefully it gives Blake the confidence he needs going forward.
Its is so much Billy Slater. Watched him and Hammer coaching them in tackling AFL way, also how to lower their centre of gravity and put off the ball carrier with pushes in the side etc.

Slater looked awesome and nobody but nobody could get passed him.

Watching Parker tackle, he hits in the abdomen, when he can with a forearm or shoulder.
And it is hurting players. Got McGrath, and two on the weekend, one was Impey cant remember the other.

The campaigner I think enjoys the physical side.

Great work there Hubnester….I had my doubts about the decision but what you have shown is that there was no doubt.

Great work umpire !!!!!!

Haha I don't know how that'd go. I've got hawks friends still in denial as well. Might be safer just to let it go :)

I reckon 80% of the reason that free was paid was thanks to the crowd. The "noise of affirmation" was pretty big at the ground. This is why WC get lots of dubious frees at home, fantastic to see us on the right side of the ledger on one.

He pulled it back in then didn’t even pretend to try to handball it out. Usually they act like it’s being held to them by manically handballing without releasing it.

Just spent the last week or so driving up the east coast with two Yanks.
Nice people but fierce Trump acolytes and I have to say: that is a totally different world.
It is impossible to break that bubble and still retain a friendship.
These two would disown their children if they ever married a Democrat.
I am talking seriously f***ed.
Let's hope that, with all of our faults, we never get to that level of dysfunction.

Anyway, lunch at the Boathouse on Pittwater was very pleasant Sunday.
Watching the upmarket toys drive past, and the upmarket women in those toys, was very pleasant.

Given that, and the fact that I'm touring with these two, I have not had the opportunity to watch the Freo game nor catch up on the chatter here.
Similarly, for the Hawks game.

But I have managed to watch the last qtr and a bit of Sunday's game.
And caught a bit of your commentary in the game day and post mortem threads.

You guys are so bi polar in your commentary.
It makes great reading.

First: my mea culpa.

Lonie: I was wrong - never thought he would make it, too much staging and taking wrong options.

For mine: he was BOG on Sunday.
Loved his toughness and leadership, particularly in the back half and in the last few minutes.

Acres: what a last half. That transition to Gresh through seven (?) Hawks was sublime.

Wilkie: risk/return. Has they ever been a greater return on a higher risk player than Wilkie? Rookie listed mature ager that plays like a top 20 draft pick five years in to a career.

Parker: pointy elbows, all sinew and tough as red gum. One of these days he is going to pull a screamer in the goal square. He nearly did it on Sunday in the third (?) but Hamish called him as Membery (?).

Kent: not great but I liked a couple of his tough plays. Worth a few more games I reckon.

Parker/Long forward pressure is brilliant.
Hunting defenders is still allowed?

Finally: I have not seen us play as we did in the last qtr and a bit since the halcyon days of RTB.
That was seriously good football.
Seriously good.

But still a work in progress.

We are going to cause a few teams problems this year.

And best news: I picked seven winners.
(Don't ask me about the prior week though).

I remember before we drafted him seeing him playing (I think TAC cup) and he was in a punch on with two ruckman sized opponents. He had them running away from him, it looked funny as. Always been a little hard man.

this time a few years back , my daughter was in the Royal Children's, Lonie's first game had just been announced so i congratulated him on it when he came through. Geary was there too, i forget who else. ( My daughter liked the North players better because they put her nail polish on ).

I watched the game again last night. I thought the 50m was bulltish when I saw it live, and as I always watch the broadcast of the game after I go to a game I watched specifically for the Brown incident. The call was complete crap. Not only did the umpire just blow the whistle and award fifty against Brown with no warning whatsoever, the call was actually wrong. I fixed my eyes on the spot that the mark was taken, and Brown actually ran right to that spot. The umpire was incorrect, Brown did not go over the mark!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back