Preview Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th April, 3:20PM AEST *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 57 69.5%
  • Hawks

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
pmf63v4.png

Preview
St.Kilda v Hawthorn

KSSpO1w.jpg

St.Kilda will rue missed chances in front of goal as they came back from Perth on Sunday night with their first loss of the year, falling to the Dockers by 5 points after trailing by as many as 31 in the first half.

As for the Hawks, they should be pleased with their effort given they trailed North Melbourne midway through the 2nd quarter to come away with a 16 point win & their second for the season.

Let’s have a look at possible best 22s:

St.Kilda Best 22
B:
Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Shane Savage
HB: Jack Newnes, Josh Battle, Daniel McKenzie
C: Jarryn Geary, Sebastian Ross, Jack Billings
HF: Blake Acres, Josh Bruce, Matthew Parker
F: Jack Lonie, Tim Membrey, Jade Gresham
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Jack Steele, Jack Sinclair
I/C: Luke Dunstan, Hunter Clark, Nick Hind, Callum Wilkie

Hawthorn Best 22
B:
Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, Jarman Impey
HB: Harry Morrison, James Sicily, Ben Stratton
C: Isaac Smith, David Mirra, Ricky Henderson
HF: Tom Scully, Jarryd Roughead, Chad Wingard
F: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Paul Puopolo
Foll: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O'Meara
I/C: Jonathon Ceglar, Jack Scrimshaw, Dylan Moore, James Cousins

Medical Room

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2003%20-%20Fremantle%20v%20St%20Kilda/662491_gl.jpg[/IMG]

For the Saints, key defender Nathan Brown was taken from the ground after being caught high by Jesse Hogan, spending 20 minutes on the sidelines and passing concussion testing before returning.

As for the Hawks, there were a few concerns, but all returned. In the second term, Jaeger O'Meara went down to the rooms with a left hip issue, Luke Breust seemed troubled by a lower back problem and spent time on the stationary bike and Jarman Impey seemed to have a sore midriff. Blake Hardwick had his lower back worked on in the third term.

Preview

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/Samples/506288-tlslargelandscape.jpg[/IMG]

St.Kilda & Hawthorn will battle it out at Marvel Stadium this Sunday afternoon for the Blue Ribbon Cup - a cup in memory of Victoria Police Sergeant Gary Silk and Senior Constable Rodney Miller who were murdered in Cochranes Road, Moorabbin in 1998.

We have played off for the Blue Ribbon Cup against Hawthorn since 1999. The cup is dedicated to those who have lost their lives while on duty. The best player from the match receives the Silk-Miller Medal. Both men were passionate supporters of the sport. This annual game ensures that the legacy of the two men continues to live on in the lives of Victorians.

epQ00vY.jpg

St.Kilda had just come off a convincing win against Essendon in Round 2 and were full of confidence heading to Perth to face the Dockers in their first interstate trip of the season. After falling behind by 31 points in the 2nd term, St.Kilda clawed their way back into the contest to only trail by five points at the main break. After a sickening head clash between Nathan Fyfe and Josh Battle which left Fyfe out for the remainder of the game, it was as close as the Saints would get, inaccurate kicking costing St.Kilda who fell by five points for their first loss of the year.

Whilst it's not great to lose, plenty of positives can be taken from the performance for a side that is looking drastically different than they did last season.

Jack Billings continues his stellar start to the year, the crafty left footer amassing 32 possessions, 5 marks and 2 goals in a best on ground display for the Saints.

Other notable performances included Rowan Marshall. With 16 disposals, 5 marks, 6 tackles and 40 hit-outs, Ro is quickly becoming St.Kilda's number one ruckman.

Midfielder Jack Steele continues his strong start to the year, after given the tagging role on superstar Nathan Fyfe, Steeley racked up 22 touches of his own to go along with 8 marks and 8 tackles. Jarryn Geary, Jack Newnes, Jade Gresham and Tim Membrey were also strong performers.

Hawthorn had to get themselves back onto the winners list after a disappointing fade-out to the Western Bulldogs, allowing the Dogs to come from 30 points down in the last quarter and win the game. After a strong showing against the Crows in Adelaide in Round 1, Hawthorn were back to what we can expect from them in 2019, running away with the game after half time and beating North Melbourne by a comfortable 16 points. With their second win of the year, the Hawks sit just inside the eight and will look to solidify that position on Sunday afternoon.

Hawthorn senior coach Alastair Clarkson will coach his 333rd game for Hawthorn this Sunday, and in doing so goes past legendary St.Kilda premiership coach Allan Jeans for most games coached at the one club.

As for the players - we can't go past Jaeger O'Meara's game on the weekend, the classy midfielder finished with 32 disposals, 3 marks and a whopping 12 tackles to be adjudged Hawthorn's best on the day.

Chad Wingard was another for the Hawks who bobbed up late, kicking 3 goals and showing how dangerous of a small forward he can be.

Potential changes

[IMG='width:651px;']https://images.ctfassets.net/u8w3l566ay8a/15oSN3jdpG60yyakwMgWU8/0180c0a66955570994156d311a0b68a5/PC291118MW0879.JPG?w=980&h=520&fit=fill&f=faces[/IMG]

Former Essendon VFL mature age player Nick Hind continues his quest for an AFL debut after continuing his good form in the early stages of the year, with the speedy half back kicking 2 goals and showing plenty of promising signs to be in contention for Sunday afternoon.

Other notable inclusions could be Billy Longer (47 hit-outs), Ben Long & Ed Phillips (17 disposals & 5 tackles apiece), Jonathon Marsh & Robbie Young.

Key Match-Ups

[IMG='width:651px;']https://i.imgur.com/eu4V2Qv.jpg[/IMG]

Jaeger O'Meara
With Tom Mitchell set to miss the entire 2019 campaign, the Hawks turn to Jaeger O'Meara as their go-to man in the middie and he hasn't disappointed. O'Meara, finished with 32 possessions on the weekend and was clearly Hawthorn's best. Expect Jack Steele to get the tagging role on O'Meara on Sunday.

Chad Wingard
Electrifying small forward Chad Wingard is going to cause plenty of headaches for opposing teams this season, and if his 3 goals were anything to go by last weekend against North Melbourne, the Saints will need to watch him closely. If he manages to get off the leash, it will be incredibly difficult for St.Kilda to come away with the victory. St.Kilda skipper Jarryn Geary looks the obvious match-up.

Ben McEvoy
Former St.Kilda ruckman Ben McEvoy had a strong showing last weekend and ended with 16 possessions, 9 marks, 22 hit-outs and 2 goals. One of our areas of concern is our ruck position, and although Rowan Marshall has had a great start to the year, he will need to continue his impressive form if we are to stand a chance getting first use out of the middle. It will be interesting to see what happens at selection this Thursday night. Do the Saints go with the bigger bodied Longer in the ruck (who had 47 hit-outs in the VFL on the weekend)? Or do they stick with what has been working well so far?

Tip

[IMG='width:651px;']https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Galleries/Matches/2019/AFL%202019%20Round%2002%20-%20Essendon%20v%20St%20Kilda/658401_gl.jpg[/IMG]

I think this will be a really close one. St.Kilda have definitely improved under a new coaching setup and gameplan, so they can't be underestimated. Hawthorn had a great win against Adelaide to open their season, however a bad fade-out to the Bulldogs would be a huge concern despite their win against North Melbourne a week later.

I think Brett Ratten's inclusion to the coaching panel can't be looked over either, and with our aggression and added pace I think we will pip the Hawks right at the final stages. I wouldn't be surprised with either result, as it could go either way, but I believe the boys have done enough so far this year to suggest that they won't be pushovers anymore.

Saints by 14 points.

Thoughts?

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Need another tall forward and Kent out we are a man down with him in

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Need another tall forward and Kent out we are a man down with him in

Agree Kent been overrated all year .

We will get exposed if they don’t play 2 genuine rucks , Clarkson will send big boy forward when rucking
Ceglar .

If Geary is fit he has to tag Isaac Smith and Hind plays off half back .

Unfortunately Sinclair probably gets dropped for Steven , need to be ruthless after losses perform or get
dropped .

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns
2 changes
Kent out - Long or Young in (Kent has been rather underwhelming this year. Needs to find something in 2's)
Acres out - Steven in (Acres looking rusty imo. Not using his size enough and not influencing as a fwd)

Sinclair & Parker earned their spots in previous weeks but on notice, Clark given another week to get it going.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not seen any hawks matches so far so no idea how they are traveling. The dreaded Sunday afternoon slot again...

Just hope we kick straight.
They have looked pretty good. Hard to tell what kind of opposition they have been up against though. North are looking like possible wooden spooners for me and the Crows probably aren't going as well as expected.

They really should have beat the dogs but blew it late. It'll be a tough game but it's winnable.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
Big game!!!

Definitely think we are capable of pulling this one out.

Stuv back I’d say, unsure if we make anymore changes..

Would be bloody nice to have Hanners, King, Jakey, Robbo... Paddy all available wouldn’t it? Haha

From what I hear Robbie Young deserves a crack so if there’s a spot for him why not?! Especially if he finds the goals.

Fiftyfifty

Debutant
Apr 4, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Big game!!!

Definitely think we are capable of pulling this one out.

Stuv back I’d say, unsure if we make anymore changes..

Would be bloody nice to have Hanners, King, Jakey, Robbo... Paddy all available wouldn’t it? Haha

From what I hear Robbie Young deserves a crack so if there’s a spot for him why not?! Especially if he finds the goals.

Saw him Friday night not that flash. Seems to play for himself and to get noticed. When things don't go his way he seems to " hurt " himself. Happened at the inter club game aswell.

tim_saints

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2008
Wonga Park
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles - MUFC
Saw him Friday night not that flash. Seems to play for himself and to get noticed. When things don't go his way he seems to " hurt " himself. Happened at the inter club game aswell.
Yeah right.... probably not what we need coming into the side then.

They seem pretty hellbent in turning battle into a defender... like it isn’t like they just did it because Carlisle was hurt, it was a plan from the get go this off-season so I don’t like the chances of him being thrown forward.

It’s just a matter of if we need a 3rd down forward who is it?!

Or is it something as simple as lowering our eyes instead of bombing it.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
We have to make sure we don't over react here , we didn't play that great over all and we only lost due to kicking accuracy.
GWS got flogged by Fremantle in Perth and they are a top 8 side , I would let the coaches go over the game and look at what went wrong and replace whoever we need to change if they feel if they need do any changes.
The loss against Fremantle was a game we needed to win and it just makes the Hawthorn game more important for us now.
We have to roll these teams that are considered middle of the road.

Yesterdays game our defense held up very well , our forward line was slaughtered.
We can't do to much about our forward line but I would like to see Marsh brought into the team when ready , a fast bigger body would be handy anywhere.
Steven has to play , just having him in the team we would on won yesterday I feel - a fit Hannerbery would be a bonus as well.
Kent will have to improve because his first 2 games have not been to flash.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah right.... probably not what we need coming into the side then.

They seem pretty hellbent in turning battle into a defender... like it isn’t like they just did it because Carlisle was hurt, it was a plan from the get go this off-season so I don’t like the chances of him being thrown forward.

It’s just a matter of if we need a 3rd down forward who is it?!

Or is it something as simple as lowering our eyes instead of bombing it.
Was the B52's yesterday so lowering eyes would certainly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back