Preview Round 4, 2019: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th April, 3:20PM AEST *BLUE RIBBON CUP*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 57 69.5%
  • Hawks

Votes: 25 30.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope everyone realised how young Coffield is. He will play the entire season as a teenager. He is physically 19 years old and most likely also only 19 emotionally. To those wondering what’s happened to him: nothing’s happened to him.

He is a tall skinny kid who will improve slowly but surely over the next few years and will potentially end up being a very good player.

It’s way too early to be questioning his ability or the club’s ability to develop him.

I hope everyone realised how young Coffield is. He will play the entire season as a teenager. He is physically 19 years old and most likely also only 19 emotionally. To those wondering what’s happened to him: nothing’s happened to him.

He is a tall skinny kid who will improve slowly but surely over the next few years and will potentially end up being a very good player.

It’s way too early to be questioning his ability or the club’s ability to develop him.

Well that a very boring measured response that ruined all my fun.

Last edited:
What are we round 2 vfl. Not much time for them to "kill IT". Considering their standard is so hard to watch, NO ONE IS REALLY GOING TO STAND OUT.
Really hoping Sandy does better this year as will be bad for the culture if theyre getting flogged most weeks. Was a bit concerned about last weeks result, but then because we played in WA they would have had 4 Saints unavailable + the injuries. Hoping they get a win against Box Hill tomorrow

I think the "good at training" is footy club code for " **** we can't get this guy on the park even at training". So far he's been a fail, he's got another 4 years to get right though.
I’ve been thinking about Hannas a bit, and while I’m of the opinion that he probably gets some games late this year and play next year.

If we’re happy with slater being a coach (which I am) then you have to consider that Hannas probably brings as much value in a non-playing role.

Training standards, strategy and coaching I’m sure Hannas would be great.

Dunstan being dropped is a move in trying to improve our midfield and we all know it needs improvement.
Who replaces him - Gresham and I feel he will do a better job , at least the coaches are attempting to improve our midfield.
Long will just slip in Greshams spot in the midfield.
Or Acres into the midfield, instead of Full forward.

We look to have gone for speed and pressure over slow inside ball. Pretty much do what GC nearly did to us, run them off their feet. I expect us to play on from everything and just exploit the Hawks lack of pace. They had footage of Long running down Mitchell from behind last year. I expect that to be the game we are after, high pressure, lock the ball in our front half stuff. If we convert to a decent standard I think we can win this. The Hawks have usually got the umpires giving them an extra player. As they have dropped back the umpires have stopped gifting them.
And this is what worries me....when we play run and gun our deplorable foot skills kill us and we get hammered on the rebound. High pressure and run with no gauge when to slow the play will lead to exhaustion, turn overs and a smashing of our confidence - last year.

I've actually felt we have learnt to not just blaze away this year and be more controlled when needed but against Freo we slowed down too much and got pinned down.

I’ve been thinking about Hannas a bit, and while I’m of the opinion that he probably gets some games late this year and play next year.

If we’re happy with slater being a coach (which I am) then you have to consider that Hannas probably brings as much value in a non-playing role.

My view on Hannas is that while I was concerned about getting him due to his supposedly beat-up body, now that we got him, it comes as absolutely no surprise to me that it's taking time to get him right. Opposition supporters say 'what a blunder' or 'doesn't look good' but I say this is expectation right now, and for the rest - we'll see.

And this is what worries me....when we play run and gun our deplorable foot skills kill us and we get hammered on the rebound. High pressure and run with no gauge when to slow the play will lead to exhaustion, turn overs and a smashing of our confidence - last year.

I've actually felt we have learnt to not just blaze away this year and be more controlled when needed but against Freo we slowed down too much and got pinned down.

I think we have but the way the Hawks play is very much on their terms. If we allow that we allow them to dominate us. Ratten will have some inside knowledge which will help. I still think exploiting their lack of speed and limiting their ability to set up their systems is still our best chance of beating them.

I think the "good at training" is footy club code for " **** we can't get this guy on the park even at training". So far he's been a fail, he's got another 4 years to get right though.
Training thing is an absolute furphy
And to say it doesn’t matter he is not playing is as well, we are coming of a 4 win season

Dunstan being dropped is a move in trying to improve our midfield and we all know it needs improvement.
Who replaces him - Gresham and I feel he will do a better job , at least the coaches are attempting to improve our midfield.
Long will just slip in Greshams spot in the midfield.
Steele 12+clearances and 15+ contested posessions tomorrow

Who cares, he and Carlisle are back for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Call. Leigh Montagna and even the great Lenny Hayes had slow starts. Give him a break.

I don’t like dropping players after one game either but we are trying to win games as a priority over development. So whomever gets us the win gets in.
If we are to attract the likes of Kelly we have to get in the finals.
Definitely agree that we need to have the best side in, but also think there could be others who have got more of a chance that havent been playing that well either, mainly Kent really. Last week Sincs had a shocker, but i thought was good the previous 2 weeks. Anyway interesting call to leave Spook out. I think he has played his role well every game. Im hoping Steele and others step up and do the in and under contested stuff in his place

Good Call. Leigh Montagna and even the great Lenny Hayes had slow starts. Give him a break.

Remember how often we melted about Seb ROss being a spud.
Turns out he's probably better than anyone taken in the first 15 picks. ( So trading pick 20 for Milera , Saad and the Ross pick was a worthwhile strategy ).
after being in the doldrums for a few years the recruiters seem pretty good lately and i'm not writing Coff off yet.

Turns out he's probably better than anyone taken in the first 15 picks. ( So trading pick 20 for Milera , Saad and the Ross pick was a worthwhile strategy ).
after being in the doldrums for a few years the recruiters seem pretty good lately and i'm not writing Coff off yet.
"If we really wanted Ross though we could've just taken him at 20!"

Another Trout special.

Can you believe some on here still have the nerve to melt about Ross being a spud still! :think:

Just no pleasing some people! :moustache:

Look at these odds - Hawthorn $1.42 - St Kilda $2.90

The players should have motivation to go and smash these guys.
Very few of the media have picked us.
If we go into this game and attack the ball and put pressure on Hawthorn they will fold.
If JOM plays he will wish he never did because after a few Steele tackles he will be screaming to get off the ground.
Hawthorns backline would of not faced a faster or more mobile forward line as what we have.
Parker , Long , Kent , Lonie , Bruce , Membery

Saints by 6 goals +

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back