Preview Round 4, 2020 Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Who's the best defender in the game?"

Carey can't remember any player that he hasn't seen in the last three hours - Howe and then Moore, no Andrews.

Adelaide fielding one of the weakest teams you'll see, and surely demoralized at this point. I fully expect Lachie and pals to lead us to a blowout win

I most certainly hope so. To win a premiership you need to be able to clinically demolish the weaker teams showing that you have a killer instinct.

I’d like at least a ten goal victory. Last year that was a standard finalist against bottom team win so with the shorter quarters it is about right I reckon.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last week it was 100 for 1 ticket and this week 88 for minimum 2 tix, 44 each, much better value. Was harder to navigate on the website I found so maybe people thought they'd missed out

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm not a fan of Archie and I'm not basing it on 1 game v Nic Nat, Archie has had 7 years and 12 games on our list to show what he has got, also from my viewing of his NEAFL play he is not capable of being an AFL level ruckman and he shows zero resting forward to be considered as a 2nd/relieving ruckman. I'll gladly eat humble pie if I'm proven wrong by on field performance over the rest of this season.
I'm not an Archie fan and I don't think he has a future here, but credit where credit is due, he kicked 4 goals in a NEAFL game last year and has had multiple 2 goal games. It's not fair to say he's shown zero.

SXT15

Debutant
Feb 29, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Point taken JB, edit Zero to little.

Honestly, and I feel and saying this, he would have to be the most unnatural 7-year listed footballer I’ve ever seen. (I’ve watched at least 35+ of his reserves games as well).

For our team success, I would honestly rather us trail anyone (and, we have many options) to play the third tall and second ruck role. McStay could relief ruck O, and that would open up options to player a smaller mid size type in our forward line. Unpopular opinion but I see Mathieson or McFadyen as interesting options in that role, they’re both a lot better players than Archie today, let alone in a few years time (particularly in McFadyen’s case).

The other option is we bring in Skinner or Ballenden and promise them a month of footy. See if they can grab that role with both hands, yep, literally.

Carey can't remember any player that he hasn't seen in the last three hours - Howe and then Moore, no Andrews.

Moore is overrated in my opinion - he seems like a better version of Walker, but think Collingwoods system makes him look better than he is. Howe is a gun though.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Ann

Annoyed me too,but I think he has been busy with his hair transplants and botox to watch too many games of footy .

Calamity

Professional lurker
Jun 18, 2000
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Been wanting revenge since they smashed us by 138 points in 2016. Hoping we kick these Crows while they're down and put them to the sword. I want blood.

I was at that match at the Adelaide Oval.... let’s just say I made some new “friends” in the Adelaide Crows crowd.

Many of them can give “advice”, but have no come back when a couple of snarky Lions fans give it back to them with a bit of polite clarity.

At least it made a shocking game a bit more entertaining in the stands...

rockypls

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wish we trailed Ballenden or Skinner as the second ruck/fwd - Adelaide have been using Fogerty when O’Brien gets a rest so it could have been a nice test.
Also you’d imagine this is Ah Chee last chance. Not too keen to see what the Port and Collingwood forwards will do to him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish we trailed Ballenden or Skinner as the second ruck/fwd - Adelaide have been using Fogerty when O’Brien gets a rest so it could have been a nice test.
Also you’d imagine this is Ah Chee last chance. Not too keen to see what the Port and Collingwood forwards will do to him

I was thinking about Ah Chees game and wonder if playing on his brother for the first time played a bit of a mind game on himself? I liked his round 2 game for the most part and reckon he'll bounce back this week.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Honestly, and I feel and saying this, he would have to be the most unnatural 7-year listed footballer I’ve ever seen. (I’ve watched at least 35+ of his reserves games as well).

For our team success, I would honestly rather us trail anyone (and, we have many options) to play the third tall and second ruck role. McStay could relief ruck O, and that would open up options to player a smaller mid size type in our forward line. Unpopular opinion but I see Mathieson or McFadyen as interesting options in that role, they’re both a lot better players than Archie today, let alone in a few years time (particularly in McFadyen’s case).

The other option is we bring in Skinner or Ballenden and promise them a month of footy. See if they can grab that role with both hands, yep, literally.
Good post, completely agree with everything you’re saying.

I too think it’s a missed opportunity not playing one ruck and playing Smith. I was an advocate of Smith’s up until his poor performance against North at Docklands last year and now, I just don’t see the point persisting. He’s just not an all round AFL quality ruckman and IMO and never will be.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Last week against Nic Nat and Big O carrying more load you can see why Smith was chosen over Ballenden/Skinner
Both the others more part time rucks who play forward or back.
I really like to see Skinner get a run last year of contract and shorter lists and no NEAFL not going to help him in 2021

Flyin Lion

Rookie
Mar 10, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Chances are against Adelaide McStay an Hipwood will kick 2 or more goals each, that will cement them for another month, unfortunately Brisbane need accurate contested forwards when finals roll around. If Skinner and Ballenden aren’t given an opportunity we will never know what they are capable of, or if a different combination may change the forward dynamics and produce a true Full Forward. Their opportunity may come at a different club, and that will hurt our future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
The cows have plenty to prove after being labeled a basket case! I expect them to come at us hard early so we need to not go into it too cocky or we might get a shock . Take em seriously lions

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
I remember watching that game. It was beyond a joke - the Hobart wind into Bellerive was massively favouring one end, with NM bombing them from 60m+ and Adelaide's clearing kicks going 35m. Adelaide didn't adjust in time and despite being outscored for the rest of the game NM held on to win. The scoring total to each end was 24.17 to 11.4.

No doubt, the planets aligned for North that day.

It does however demonstrate that if you are off and the opposition are really on, a game can slip away before you know it.

Fages really needs to knock any sense of complacency out of the guys.

As usual, I alawys feel nervous about a game we are supposed to win comfortably

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope Karma finally kicks in tomorrow after the 1991 clash against the Crows where as commentator Peter McKenna correctly termed it " the umpires have absolutely MURDERED Fitzroy". A 100 plus win please Lions.

LionCub29

Senior List
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope Karma finally kicks in tomorrow after the 1991 clash against the Crows where as commentator Peter McKenna correctly termed it " the umpires have absolutely MURDERED Fitzroy". A 100 plus win please Lions.
The darkest day in AFL/VFL history - I wrote to the VFL with the one and only written complaint in my life. Outright cheating.
I had a meeting with Rod Jamieson a few years ago and he said I was literally the 500th Lions supporter that complained about that game. He said he remembered an unexpected win and his 21st that night.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The darkest day in AFL/VFL history - I wrote to the VFL with the one and only written complaint in my life. Outright cheating.
I had a meeting with Rod Jamieson a few years ago and he said I was literally the 500th Lions supporter that complained about that game. He said he remembered an unexpected win and his 21st that night.
Definitely some sort of hidden agenda going on that night....umpires couldn't have been that bad naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back