Review Round 4, 2020 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide

Who were your five best players against Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys just thought I’d let you know, the QLD government just announced 50% stadium capacity from this Friday, so approximately 21,000 can attend this weekend now!!
Serious question; will we even get 21,000 in attendance this week?

I say that from the POV that we've long struggled to get 20,000 people to games when playing non-Victorian teams or the weaker Victorian teams i.e. St Kilda, North Melbourne etc. and no doubt a lot of people are still reluctant to mix in the public.

I say that from the POV that we've long struggled to get 20,000 people to games when playing non-Victorian teams or the weaker Victorian teams i.e. St Kilda, North Melbourne etc. and no doubt a lot of people are still reluctant to mix in the public.
I would say very unlikely yeah due to the public being reluctant, along with people just not knowing they can now buy tickets to the footy.

We didn’t even sell out last weekend with 6,000 people attending since general tickets only went on sale Friday after members and there was basically no awareness of that happening.

I’ll be buying a ticket and going now though on the weekend to the Gabba 👍

Wishful thinking but I'd like to get back to my own seat , any higher than last week is too high for me, which was rowJJ.
Yeh I know ungrateful so and so.

Wishful thinking but I'd like to get back to my own seat , any higher than last week is too high for me, which was rowJJ.
Yeh I know ungrateful so and so.
I was in QQ last game, and yes I would love to get back to my allocated seat, we decided to upgrade this season from Prime membership behind the western end goal Section 73 to Premium on the Southern wing Section 66, sat in that area for the 2 finals last year and loved it. Still can not believe how spine tingling fantastic the atmosphere was in the 10-15 minute lead up to the bounce v Richmond.

Still can not believe how spine tingling fantastic the atmosphere was in the 10-15 minute lead up to the bounce v Richmond.

Yeah the atmosphere was something else. Dreamlike even. Could almost feel a decade of anticipation bubbling out as the first bounce got closer. Very special.

I was in QQ last game, and yes I would love to get back to my allocated seat, we decided to upgrade this season from Prime membership behind the western end goal Section 73 to Premium on the Southern wing Section 66, sat in that area for the 2 finals last year and loved it. Still can not believe how spine tingling fantastic the atmosphere was in the 10-15 minute lead up to the bounce v Richmond.
Sat in 65 on the weekend and for the GWS final last year. They really are great seats.

AFL is not the “National” code up here.

Semantics.

Apart from maybe Football (Soccer). Aussie Rules is the only code(OF FOOTBALL)with meaningful representation across all States

And Soccer can't lay claim to being dominant in any State of Australia

Last edited:
Yeah the atmosphere was something else. Dreamlike even. Could almost feel a decade of anticipation bubbling out as the first bounce got closer. Very special.

Even though we lost,that feeling in that lead up to the game was the best buzz I have had out of Footy , apart from the three-peat.

What made it so special, is that the PA went on the blink so the crowd made it's own atmosphere.It was spine tingling stuff

Wish I could bottle it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you take into account exposure, brand awareness, crowds, TV coverage/TV broadcast rights, membership numbers etc. AFL is definitely the biggest "national" sport and by a fair margin IMO.

When you take into account exposure, brand awareness, crowds, TV coverage/TV broadcast rights, membership numbers etc. AFL is definitely the biggest "national" sport and by a fair margin IMO.
Naturally, but the comment was about " meaningful representation across all States ". NBL (and netball that briztoon has added) would disagree.

I dont think any club can actually fully prevent forwards like Dixon getting those random cheap goals from turnovers in the midfield. You can LIMIT turnovers of course, but as a defender there isnt a lot you can do when the ball comes in within a split second and you happen to be more than 1m away from your opponent.

There is a big gulf between letting a key forward run a train on you and having a big forward get 2 cheap goals a game.
I dream of us having a Full Forward who gets two cheap goals a game! If only.

It's pretty clear they meant code of football.

That is indeed what I meant.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise

It's a wonder that someone didn't take me to task about failing to mention cricket.

Or even golf , tennis or bowls.

Apologies to the Shooters and the Archers out there too

EDIT

I've gone back and clarified my previous post to avoid causing any further offence:shoutyoldman:

Last edited:
When was the last time a full forward got 2 cheap goals against us thet cost us the game?

Full forwards rarely get cheap goals anymore.

Without being able to back it up by stats, my overwhelming impression is that the cheap "Joe the Goose" goals over the last few years have been scored by small fast forwards or by midfielders either pushing forward after a turnover or just plain punting on one coming there way from a contest further up the field

Full forwards rarely get cheap goals anymore.

Without being able to back it up by stats, my overwhelming impression is that the cheap "Joe the Goose" goals over the last few years have been scored by small fast forwards or by midfielders either pushing forward after a turnover or just plain punting on one coming there way from a contest further up the field
The way the game has evolved has made it a lot tougher for key forwards to get a kick. Likewise defenders have become a lot more effective in spoiling tactics in contested mark situations . Defenders now work as a team , you don't have to beat just one guy. The old one on one is a thing of the past.

When was the last time a full forward got 2 cheap goals against us thet cost us the game?
Dunno. I suppose you could look at our losses last year and in round one this year to work it out.

That is indeed what I meant.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest otherwise

It's a wonder that someone didn't take me to task about failing to mention cricket.

As someone who didn't weigh in (that I remember ;)), I honestly thought you meant any sports. And now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of cricket. :O

Back