Preview Round 4, 2020: Hawthorn v North, 28 June 2020, 6.05pm @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week against Richmond Patton, O’Brien, Breust and Hanrahan hardly dominated. It was Wingard and Gunston as the only forwards who had any real scoreboard impact, even Burgoyne was relatively quite. The forward-line hasn’t clicked this year yet.
yep they do their roll for the team but its our midfeild that stepped up with jaegar back and we need to do it again.The game is won from the midfield.

Last week against Richmond Patton, O’Brien, Breust and Hanrahan hardly dominated. It was Wingard and Gunston as the only forwards who had any real scoreboard impact, even Burgoyne was relatively quite. The forward-line hasn’t clicked this year yet.

nice that there is that potential improvement. But everyone’s current front runner Collingwood is struggling there too. Is it a 2020 trend?

a couple of games coming up at marvel might make it click for O’Brien

The stats are being raised, Lewis 27 contested marks in 12 games last season, whilst Patton hasn't taken a contested mark yet thus far this season.

The reality is, we courted Patton last year, we're paying him a high salary, we most likely gave him assurances and guarantees, even if he goes goaless for weeks we will make up reasons to play him, my worries are that a high quality talented, arguably more talented player in Lewis gets put to the side, for example Pattons best year is comparable to Lewis' first full season and even then he got treated like a second rate KPF while we celebrated Roughies last season, the decision making recently has annoyed me.

I'm a big critic of Patton, but I'll come to his defence for the first 3 games he's played. The guy is part of a new forward line and hasn't played for a long time.

I dont think he will be as good as Lewis, but we couldn't expect a great output from him this early.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yea I'm not potting him, I'm just annoyed at what we have done, if we decide to recruit him, best practice would be to play him at CHF with Lewis at FF, but we decided to go with a role player like TOB which I'm not a fan of tbh.

Patton was in good form prior to the break so i back him in also, but for me the hierarchy in the forwards should be Gunston - Lewis - Patton - TOB, atm it's Patton - TOB - Gunston - Lewis, which annoys me

Any chance McEvoy plays in the ruck for this game to double team Goldstein?

Round 3 2019
McEvoy: 16 disposals - 9 marks (4 contested) - 5 tackles - 22 hit-outs - 2 goals - 1 behind

:oops:

I think Clarko likes his tactic of pressure the OPPO f50 entries and bank on McEvoy marking and contesting everything, which can work if our side turns up to play hard footy and not that soft**** crap they dished up against Geelong.

The reality is, we courted Patton last year, we're paying him a high salary, we most likely gave him assurances and guarantees, even if he goes goaless for weeks we will make up reasons to play him, my worries are that a high quality talented, arguably more talented player in Lewis gets put to the side, for example Pattons best year is comparable to Lewis' first full season and even then he got treated like a second rate KPF while we celebrated Roughies last season, the decision making recently has annoyed me.
You need to chillax mate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Patton managed tomorrow after how proppy he looked at training. That combined with the carpark where playing on I reckon he’ll be a late out.

Yea I'm not potting him, I'm just annoyed at what we have done, if we decide to recruit him, best practice would be to play him at CHF with Lewis at FF, but we decided to go with a role player like TOB which I'm not a fan of tbh.

Patton was in good form prior to the break so i back him in also, but for me the hierarchy in the forwards should be Gunston - Lewis - Patton - TOB, atm it's Patton - TOB - Gunston - Lewis, which annoys me
Patton really needs to play as the deepest forward. He is too slow and immobile to go further up the field. Lewis is also better suited to that role but with more capacity to player higher, particularly as his tank improves.

As others have pointed out - Patton needs to play as our stay at home deepest forward. He will command a big KPD and can create contests.

He's proven that he can be a very dangerous secondary forward when playing with Cameron.

Lewis can play CHF, he's a great mark and seems like a good field kick.

Gunston can play as a mobile third tall.

It will just take some for Patton to adjust and get used to reusin trusting his body again.

Think people are overplaying Lewis tank, it really isn't a huge issue. Also got a lot of km's in his legs over the pre season.

I think he would make a great CHF going forward, one of the best young contested marks in the comp. Him getting up the ground and clunking some will allow the likes of Patton a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think people are overplaying Lewis tank, it really isn't a huge issue. Also got a lot of km's in his legs over the pre season.

I think he would make a great CHF going forward, one of the best young contested marks in the comp. Him getting up the ground and clunking some will allow the likes of Patton a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities.
Lewis has an injury affected preseason so doubt he managed to improve his tank significantly.

last year he managed 72% game time v 86% from O’Brien. That means O’Brien is spending almost 20% more time on the field. That isn’t inconsequential.

This year, Patton Is managing 85% time on field so while he is slow he can provide that structure to our attack for longer, on exposed evidence.

Lewis has an injury affected preseason so doubt he managed to improve his tank significantly.

last year he managed 72% game time v 86% from O’Brien. That means O’Brien is spending almost 20% more time on the field. That isn’t inconsequential.

This year, Patton Is managing 85% time on field so while he is slow he can provide that structure to our attack for longer, on exposed evidence.
Most of the time rehabbing was from the shoulder, should have done a lot of running over that time. Ankle a slight concern but was a few weeks o my just before the season.

We have a lot of high % game time players, I want impact. Having two monster key position players is not the issue that most are making it out to be. If we are going in tall we need players to be able to clunk some, just bringing the ball to ground is not enough.

If Clarko is willing to turn our elite ruckman into a CHB then I'm sure he can turn Lewis into a CHF.
Mcevoy to CHB was done with purpose and intent to provide us with intercept marks and to prolong Mcevoys career (similar to the moves made for mitchell and silk). Lewis's best position is Full forward. He is like many have said the future of the club in that position. The issue is we have patton who is also slated for that position. For Lewis to play CHF his tank would have to increase a lot. He was on his way last year unfortunately this year he has had an interrupted pre season. This along with the virus has restricted players ability to build any sort of fitness base. Who knows maybe next year if he gets a good run at it.

I'm a big critic of Patton, but I'll come to his defence for the first 3 games he's played. The guy is part of a new forward line and hasn't played for a long time.

I dont think he will be as good as Lewis, but we couldn't expect a great output from him this early.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Tell me why you are a BIG critic of him?

Most of the time rehabbing was from the shoulder, should have done a lot of running over that time. Ankle a slight concern but was a few weeks o my just before the season.

We have a lot of high % game time players, I want impact. Having two monster key position players is not the issue that most are making it out to be. If we are going in tall we need players to be able to clunk some, just bringing the ball to ground is not enough.
Not only would Lewis need to have improved his tank sufficiently to play 85% game time at full forward but he would also need to improve it even more to play chf because there is no way Patton is playing that role. I think it is an unrealistic assumption to think he has made that big of an improvement through an interrupted preseason.

Any chance McEvoy plays in the ruck for this game to double team Goldstein?

Round 3 2019
McEvoy: 16 disposals - 9 marks (4 contested) - 5 tackles - 22 hit-outs - 2 goals - 1 behind

:oops:
Definitely should!

No chance...

Sorry man, but it doesn't work like that. You have a forward mix. Mix being key. Patton and Lewis cannot play the CHF role that has seen us become arguably a top 4 team since the bye last year.

I'd imagine long term Nash and Jeka will be pushing for O'Briens spot. Both Lewis and Patton are you big, deep marking forwards. They're not getting up and down the ground, creating space behind them, like O'Brien is expected to do.

According to the AFL website the emergencies are:

[1] Harry Morrison,[2] Mitchell Lewis,[40] Harry Jones,[28] Paul Puopolo

Mcevoy to CHB was done with purpose and intent to provide us with intercept marks and to prolong Mcevoys career (similar to the moves made for mitchell and silk). Lewis's best position is Full forward. He is like many have said the future of the club in that position. The issue is we have patton who is also slated for that position. For Lewis to play CHF his tank would have to increase a lot. He was on his way last year unfortunately this year he has had an interrupted pre season. This along with the virus has restricted players ability to build any sort of fitness base. Who knows maybe next year if he gets a good run at it.

Fantastic post.

we're paying him a high salary, we most likely gave him assurances and guarantees, .

No we aren't, and I doubt we did.

Sent from my CPH1803 using Tapatalk

Mcevoy to CHB was done with purpose and intent to provide us with intercept marks and to prolong Mcevoys career (similar to the moves made for mitchell and silk).
I hope we hurry up & trade in a new #1 Ruckman to play CHB & take marks & stuff in 2022 as I reckon BigBoy only has another 12 months in him. The new #1 Ruckman can then sit a comfy 3rd behind Frost & Sicily when it comes to intercepts per game In the HFC backline.

BigBoy’s actual benefit - his capacity to run all day & take strong marks between CHB - CHF & on the wings, is out of vogue anyway.

And... we’re 10th for hitouts & 18th for clearances in the league in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back