Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thursday, June 25
Sydney v Western Bulldogs (SCG) (N)

Friday, June 26
Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood (GS) (N)

Saturday, June 27
Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles (MS)
St Kilda v Richmond (MRVL) (T)
Essendon v Carlton (MCG) (N)
Gold Coast v Fremantle (MS) (N)

Sunday, June 28
Brisbane Lions v Adelaide (G)
Melbourne v Geelong (MCG)
Hawthorn v North Melbourne (MRVL) (N)

Saints wearing a Purple Crusader for Maddie's Match; just got shown briefly on AFL 360.

SK20JSY06M-FRONT__92871.1583196150.jpg

Well, we now know what a 1990s St Kilda - Fremantle merger would have looked like!

Couple of things:

Do WCE wear the Peril against Port this week? They don't actually need to, but it would be a nice change instead of Wings with white shorts.

And do North wear white shorts with the Inverse vs Hawthorn?

I love the idea of the purple crusader, but as with the home and away strips, I'm unhappy with the club shield logo dwarfed by the giant Deliveroo logo. I wish the box was removed, the logo changed to that aqua colour and it was swapped with the shield. It would be more pleasing aesthetically and would properly honour the clubs history

Sydney v Western Bulldogs - easy

Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood - could be either home/white or clash/white. Feels clash.

Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles - easy

St Kilda v Richmond - does purple Saints mean black Richmond?

Essendon v Carlton - the usual cowpoo with the usual lines about specsavers etc

Gold Coast v Fremantle - would love Freo in purple but love how they use their kits too

Brisbane Lions v Adelaide - easy
Melbourne v Geelong - easy
Hawthorn v North Melbourne - guessing home/white

Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood - could be either home/white or clash/white. Feels clash.

Gold Coast v Fremantle - would love Freo in purple but love how they use their kits too

"Hawthorn v North Melbourne - guessing home/white"

I will guess the same. North wore this combo for the first time in the season proper in Rd 2, so it seems their white strip has been abandoned? (Sorry, haven't followed what their official clash/away strip is this year. There's been a fair bit going on in 2020).

Tiges in the clash brother

Hawks are wearing their clash strip. Not sure if it’ll be with gold/brown shorts.
What makes you think so? It’s a Hawks home game
They said on Twitter during the week they would be wearing it to honour John Kennedy’s elevation to legend status.

From https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/732263

Hawthorn will honour John Kennedy Snr by donning the club’s gold Legends guernsey for this Sunday’s match against North Melbourne.

Kennedy was elevated to Australian Football Legend status earlier this month, in recognition of a lifetime of service to the brown and gold that included three premierships as coach and four best and fairest awards as a player.

Given Kennedy also spent five years as coach of the Kangaroos, the club saw this weekend’s game as a fitting opportunity to further celebrate the champion.

The jumper, unveiled ahead of the 2019 season, is the first iteration of a collectable Legends series, with each of the eight Hawthorn club legends set to be honoured in the coming years.

The guernsey is inspired by a former Mayblooms’ guernsey – gold, emblazoned with a brown ‘V’ shaped panel - worn by the club in 1933.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it actually confirmed we're wearing the purple crusader? I've got a feeling we're just wearing purple socks (maybe has to do with the same manufacturing issue that the club said prevented the yellow crusader from being sold as a retail): https://www.saints.com.au/news/704012/saints-lock-in-maddie-s-match

View attachment 898963
Manufacturing issue? They are too tight to place an order? It would sell out like hotcakes. Still dumb decisions on and off the field at Moorabbin

edit, saw a post in another thread which was possibly yours explaining this
Also, any ideas how the purple ones have been made available but not the yellow training ones? Wouldn’t they have been produced around the same time and subjected to the same logistical issues?

Last edited:
Ah yes, honouring him by wearing something he never wore or coached. Vale.
Because nobody's ever had an award named after them that they'd never won or awarded.
It's a heritage jumper of the club that also recognises a person who is part of that heritage. Totally inappropriate.

Because nobody's ever had an award named after them that they'd never won or awarded.
It's a heritage jumper of the club that also recognises a person who is part of that heritage. Totally inappropriate.

If my post appears trite because he recently passed away then I apologise, but I would've had the same point of view regardless.

It's almost as bad as Essendon claiming a grey clash jumper pays tribute to their heroes of the '60s or something like that. I thought we could all see through the marketing spin on this board, come on.

If my post appears trite because he recently passed away then I apologise, but I would've had the same point of view regardless.

It's almost as bad as Essendon claiming a grey clash jumper pays tribute to their heroes of the '60s or something like that. I thought we could all see through the marketing spin on this board, come on.
As would I :)

I wouldn't be surprised if there's going to be a permanent tribute to John Kennedy Sr on the Hawthorn guernseys as of Sunday for the rest of the year similar to what the Canberra Raiders are doing after their foundation coach passed away earlier this year

I messaged St Kilda on Twitter and they said the club won't be wearing the purple hot cross bun this week because of production issues with the player issue guernseys due to COVID-19 (they'll be wearing purple socks instead). The jumpers the players trained in during the week were the retail version.

Edit - This would mean that this weekend is the first time St Kilda has played in it's regular red, white and black home jumper against Richmond's current clash jumper. The yellow jumper was introduced in 2015, but this was the same year Maddie's Match started (in 2016 it was played against the Western Bulldogs, and Richmond and St Kilda played a Tigers home game at the MCG and we wore Candy Stripe no. 2).

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back