Victoria
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Melbourne Victory
Thursday, June 25
Sydney v Western Bulldogs (SCG) (N)

Friday, June 26
Greater Western Sydney v Collingwood (GS) (N)

Saturday, June 27
Port Adelaide v West Coast Eagles (MS)
St Kilda v Richmond (MRVL) (T)
Essendon v Carlton (MCG) (N)
Gold Coast v Fremantle (MS) (N)

Sunday, June 28
Brisbane Lions v Adelaide (G)
Melbourne v Geelong (MCG)
Hawthorn v North Melbourne (MRVL) (N)

Definitely a late 80’s / early 90’s vibe with the solid gold back brown shorts and mostly gold socks.

Also Tom Mitchell has no sponsor at the top of the back of his jumper...looks like he is is the only one. Maybe not a fan of Tasmania ;)

Is this the second time this season North have won the blue jumper with white shorts? Why can't they wear the white jumper with blue shorts??
1 - Yes

2 - Because the AFL at the time told them they had to wear white shorts with the white jumper. So they changed their jumper to the inverse so they could wear their precious heritage premiership shorts. And they thought their fans weren't smart enough to tell if they were the home team or not.

Umpires in white for the North game makes absolutely no sense?

The AFL seems to have this idea that the umpires' lime green clashes with all yellow. It probably does with Richmond, not as much with Hawthorn though. If there were two options, white was definitely the worse choice.

White shorts were optional in 1985–1990. As in, they were only worn when absolutely necessary.

For example, Hawthorn only wore white shorts (in those years) once, against the Bears in 87 or 88.
I reckon this would solve a lot of the current clash issues. If you told Collingwood and North Melbourne they could wear dark shorts with their traditional white base tops even in some away games, then they would likely be ok with it. It makes so much more sense to have slightly matching shorts rather than garishly clashing tops with shorts that add often add the other team's colour (white) into the mix unnecessarily.

I also LOVE the white top/dark shorts combo in general, and am sad that it is essentially being policed out of existence in most sporting codes. See England's WC kit evolution for an example of this.

I reckon this would solve a lot of the current clash issues. If you told Collingwood and North Melbourne they could wear dark shorts with their traditional white base tops even in some away games, then they would likely be ok with it. It makes so much more sense to have slightly matching shorts rather than garishly clashing tops with shorts that add often add the other team's colour (white) into the mix unnecessarily.

I also LOVE the white top/dark shorts combo in general, and am sad that it is essentially being policed out of existence in most sporting codes. See England's WC kit evolution for an example of this.
Collingwood already can against Sydney and Gold Coast. Teams in royal too IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood already can against Sydney and Gold Coast. Teams in royal too IMO.
Yes but it should be extended further. A Collingwood home game against Carlton with both in dark shorts and a white base vs dark base top is so much better than what we have now, and would look great.

The shorts are such a small part of the kit that it is ridiculous they are such a focus for so called clash policy.

Yes but it should be extended further. A Collingwood home game against Carlton with both in dark shorts and a white base vs dark base top is so much better than what we have now, and would look great.

The shorts are such a small part of the kit that it is ridiculous they are such a focus for so called clash policy.

For what it’s worth, quick research at FootyJumpers show that Collingwood only once wore black shorts when playing away to another team in black shorts: Round 17 1987 against Richmond.

And shorts can prove the difference-maker, as seen in this match:

For what it’s worth, quick research at FootyJumpers show that Collingwood only once wore black shorts when playing away to another team in black shorts: Round 17 1987 against Richmond.

And shorts can prove the difference-maker, as seen in this match:

I'm not saying shorts can't be a difference maker, I'm saying they're a infinitely worse difference maker than contrasting tops. That crows vs tigers game would be so much more watchable if crows were wearing navy shorts and a yellow or ideally red based top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back