Game Day Round 4, 2020: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole rebuild strategy is wrong , teams should be constantly evaluating the weakest link and seeking to improve it.

of course, it is but yet we did it and now we've been s**t for a decade whilst Geelong and Hawthorn went from premiership to premiership and is still in finals contention. but hey, we almost got one.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
The whole rebuild strategy is wrong , teams should be constantly evaluating the weakest link and seeking to improve it.
I thought that's what we were trying to do! Whilst at the same time having a team good enough to challenge!
It certainly worked for the Dogs a few years back. No reason this current side can't do both develop and improve with young talent and compete to win on a weekly basis!
It's got enough talent to be a whole lot better than what it's producing on a consistent basis, which ultimately sets us apart from the top teams!
Mentally and intellectually bereft is how I would describe them. Hopefully this is the year they mature and believe!

the fundamentals of rebuilding changed as soon as we fell off the cliff, Free agents, the Expansion teams, and then the interstate Academy's, CBA changed as well, we sold out Dal and BJ for chips whilst others got handsomely rewarded for their shitter player (in comparison), all compounded by a broke footy club, hurried coaching appointments and Seaford

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
So you're saying it's development now?
What I am saying is that it's a mentally developing year. Might just take us a decade though until the new players come in and learn not to soil their pants whenever a real challenge presents itself.
This current team is talented enough contrary to popular opinion it's just got the mental capacity of simple Jack when it comes to unlocking good teams.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Our side looks pretty ordinary with hardly any players left from 4 years ago and no stars. I'd say we look like we have selected players to stay competitive while doing an on the hop rebuild. In a couple of years I doubt many players that were on the 2016 list will be playing senior footy. King, Billings, Marshall, Gresham, Clark, Wilkie, Battle, Howard and Membrey are probably the core side that we'll build around. Butler, Jones and Long look like they'll be part of it too.

Several others are probably already listed but guys like Hanners (8 games as a Saint and at the end), Roberton (5 games in the last 3 years), Calisle (49 games in 5 years) and Geary who's body is starting to be less resilient are our older heads. The first list really only has Billings, Gresham and Membrey as experienced players.

I forgot Ross, but apparently he's not even VFL standard so he doesn't count
To early to say the team is ordinary - against the Dogs we where world beaters and against the Pies we looked like Sandringham.
Our side is just forming with our spine taking shape with untapped talent - Howard - Hunter Clark - King.
Marshall will just keep getting better when they realize Ryder has had his day , but we now have a side with skill's.
Battle , Hunter Clark , Paton , Clavarino and Coffield around 21yrs of age - and are only just starting to mature add to that King , Bytel , Mayo , Bell , Byrnes are all untapped.
We also have guys who are starting to get there act together - Gresham has improved his stamina , Billings is by far more aggressive now since he has matured , Howard is going to be a huge focal point down back , Butler is a genuine forward which we haven't had since Milne , Wilkie , Zac Jones , Marshall have all got improvement and these guys and they are all 24 or 25 so your looking at least 5 yrs from these guys and they can all take the next step.

Look no further than guys like Higgins from North or Macrae from the Dogs they never really developed until they where around 27 to 28 and you can go through every team and find players who didn't hit there straps until they where hitting 26 - Jobe Watson another.

I realize people doubt what we have but from the coach , management , game plan and the squad is by far the best it has been for many years.

We could easily whip Richmond tomorrow and big factors are the experienced guys in the team to bring the young talent into the game and make them stand taller - guys like Ryder , Carlisle(29) , Brad Hill(27) , Hannebery(29) , Ross(27) and Membery(26) and these guys will be capable of being around for a few more years except for Ryder - we have atm the 3rd best ruckman in the AFL in Marshall.

We have thrown together this team of players and they are just getting started to mold into a team , there will be changes the same as when Barrassi grouped together Doug Wade , Barry Cable , Alves , Blight , Crosswell , Keenan , John Rantall , Kekovich to win a flag - some guys cut it some didn't or where well past there best ---- Cornes , Melrose where highly rated from there states but didn't figure in the flags.

Let's just see the team develop and shock a few teams along the way.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
So you're saying it's development now?
No I’m saying why is it one or the other. You stated it was a development year and in different words nothing much matters. I say we should always be developing but winning should be the only thing thing that matters and unlike you I think rats is picking sides suggesting he feels the same way. Just because he plays coffield who is a 50/50 player doesn’t mean he is in a development year. It’s not like the option is Gary Ayres

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
What I am saying is that it's a mentally developing year. Might just take us a decade though until the new players come in and learn not to soil their pants whenever a real challenge presents itself.
This current team is talented enough contrary to popular opinion it's just got the mental capacity of simple Jack when it comes to unlocking good teams.
Simple Jack!!

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I thought that's what we were trying to do! Whilst at the same time having a team good enough to challenge!
It certainly worked for the Dogs a few years back. No reason this current side can't do both develop and improve with young talent and compete to win on a weekly basis!
It's got enough talent to be a whole lot better than what it's producing on a consistent basis, which ultimately sets us apart from the top teams!
Mentally and intellectually bereft is how I would describe them. Hopefully this is the year they mature and believe!

Couldn't agree more with the mental profile of the team. Very easily intimidated when it comes to the better teams. You can physically see the players shrink. They were let away with it for too long I think, mollycoddled when they should've been challenged to stand up for themselves. Listless and insipid performances can't be tolerated season after season. It should be ingrained into their psyches that even if they lose the war, you can at least dignify yourself in battle.
Hopefully Ratts and the gang can change the tune of their mindset before the season ends.

4 get named every week. We would do the same as last week and hold back 2, then play 2 in the scratch match.

Are we having a scratch match with Richmond?
So i was told by our resident training watcher, i might venture down but the viewing wont be as good as last week

May 10, 2013
Queensland
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, Baghdadian Babes
That would make less sense than playing 2 rucks. If they do that I’m not eating dim sims tomorrow
D0D70C71-1E5C-4630-BA42-70DF241A8111.jpeg

Last edited:
As long as we’re competitive I’ll be happy. A win would still be best though 🤪

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope our team don’t think that!
I’m not a punter but it’s like having a bob each way.

I used to think that way but I’m not happy with an honourable loss anymore. We need to win.

Last edited:
Hoping we can keep it close but don’t like our chances. If we do we’ve done well.

Anyone heard anything about a scratch match?
Apparently one at punt road 10.45 , Viewing wont be great though as i doubt they will let you in , im going anyway

Lenny2020

Cancelled
Feb 6, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Apparently one at punt road 10.45 , Viewing wont be great though as i doubt they will let you in , im going anyway

You don’t need to climb a tree mate, just get on a train at Richmond station headed to Flinders St and continuously go back and forth between them. You’ll miss a fair bit but it’s a great viewing angle

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back