Autopsy Round 4, 2020: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Remove this Banner Ad

All the Saints goals against the Tigers .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

From my memory there have been too many times in the past when we've had too many forwards ruining each other in the forward line, trying for the same mark, so that when they all fail, it gets snatched up by the opposition.
I'm pretty happy we are not seeing it much in that game.
Particularly i like seeing Membrey crumbing the ball from King.

Now what was it you said again? Oh that's right - " I've never seen Dunstan drift forward and kick a goal or two" and it turns out he's kicked twice as many goals as Seb he's done it in less games.

Simple facts, simple facts.

What is also simple is your ability to read what someone has posted & change a few key words to suit your smarmy response

9cc355c58a4fcd9ae5c5d2631e97cd03.jpg

Facts? Try again Knackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my memory there have been too many times in the past when we've had too many forwards ruining each other in the forward line, trying for the same mark, so that when they all fail, it gets snatched up by the opposition.
I'm pretty happy we are not seeing it much in that game.
Particularly i like seeing Membrey crumbing the ball from King.
I really liked Lonie's block on Astbury(IIRC) that allowed Marshall to find space to mark and kick his second goal.
Small things that largely go unnoticed but really important things in the context of a functioning forwardline

To ask the cynical question - is he in his best shape since his arrival or does he seem to be because of shortened quarters and a lowered fitness base across the game?

Happy to see him succeed but it's worth pondering.

No in best shape ..Knows that contract on big money is up this year .

Frustration with Jake is he‘s laconic has huge amount of ability, usually when heat is on fantastic.
Its when there is little pressure he switches off , makes silly errors.

The only thing about that is I think Dunstan was playing his best footy in the second half of last year. He's behind Jones who has made a real difference in the mids. Dunstan is perfect back up material. The logic suggests he plays as much as I'd love to see a kid in, he's the safe option.

Dunstan is best wet weather player in the club , tough as teak.

Just me if it’s wet at MCG ...he plays .

Great performance and great to watch.

Very impressive result considering Gresh and Billings having quiet afternoons.

The recruits keep delivering. Butler amazing, Jones creative in tight (he would like his first 12 seconds back though).

The Geary call will be interesting if he is available. Kent, Battle and Marsh the most vulnerable but none of them deserve to be.

Thought Paton struggled at times despite finding it a bit.

would love to see performances like this for consecutive weeks for a change.
Billings was the leading disposal winner on the ground.

Wasn’t it nice to see Ratts talk to the members after the game . Doesn’t talk in cliches but still keeps it simple . Easy to see why the boys like playing under him . From my limited viewing so far he seems a very bright coach who’s the afraid to make moves or to drop someone for team balance . Richo was a nice bloke but I don’t think he was a good senior coach .

TBH hindsight is a perfect science. No way he could have known we’d be playing attractive footy.
But from now on he should do the right thing. We’ve shown it three games out of four.

i think this is exactly why you shouldn't predict performance in a season like this. it's so hard to get right.

instead they should have been aiming for more exposure for clubs during what is a very difficult time for clubs and businesses that sponsor clubs.

he got it horribly wrong.

Marsh did a great job on Grimes . In the past he has killed us as we kept kicking the ball to him and he would zone of his man and take uncontested marks . Marsh stopped him from doing that which certainly helped Membrey get back into form . Not worried about King as he is so raw but with so much talent it will probably take him a couple of seasons to hit his strides and build up his body strength. Max having Membrey and a selection of Marsh , Ryder and the Prospect down there will take the pressure right off him for now .
How well did we recruit over the last couple of years . Hanneberry, Jones , Hill , Howard , Ryder , Butler , Marsh is also showing good signs , then our young guys like Max , Paton , Wilkie , Hind , Parker , Long has found his spot in the team and is looking better and better with each game , Battle and potentially Bytel . I’m sure I’ve missed some names but the club is an exciting place to be now . Who knows next trade period there might be others who want to join as they can see where the club is heading .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No just saying there isn't a spot for Ryder. Marshall plays much better as a lone ruck. I was being facetious. That said I wouldn't be against giving King a swing back swap with Howard occasionally. It didn't hurt Rooey to play back early in his career. He looks down on confidence with defenders locking him down. It's easier to get a kick down back.

King was attending ruck contests.
Wonder if part of the decision to not play Ryder , involved a decision that Max didn't seem to need to be wrapped in cotton balls based on his games so far.
Having Carlisle and Howard contest the ruck in the back line lets Marshall stay forward as a target to help us move the ball forward. Also means he's not running just to get to where the contest is.

Its all starting to click into place.

Ruck Contests:
Marshal 57. Hitouts 25 , To advantage 7 15 disposals 2 clearances 91% TOG
Battle 7. Hitouts 2. No advantage or clearances. 16 disposals 71% TOG.
Carlisle 5 . Hitouts 3 No advantage or clearances. 9 disposals 97% TOG.
Howard 2 Hitouts 1 No advantage or clearancss. 8 disposals 93% TOG.
King 2 . No Hitouts or clearances , 8 disposals 86% TOG.
Marsh 1 No Hitouts or clearances, 11 disposals 86% TOG.

It was almost Hawthornesque. We were smashed in the middle, we lost the contested possession count, but when we got it we were able to move it quickly and efficiently to the goals.
It doesn't mean our midfield is any less crap, but it means the rest of it is pretty damn good.
Midfield wasn't helped by Jones and Gresham playing only a game and a quarter between the two of them ( due to injury ).

Marshall and Billings 91 and 92 % TOG, for the roles they are playing , suggests they both have a serious tank.

Reckon we should get used to seeing Marsh in the team. Pretty much every side has that mid-tall intercepting backmen that can cause fits, if he can keep going at a goal a game and limit that intercept player that’s a big win. We don’t kick anywhere near that score if Grimes does whatever he wants.

Billings was the leading disposal winner on the ground.

Billings is just becoming that accumulator that you don't always notice. End of every game he's got 20-30 touches. Which can be both good and bad. Certainly rarely makes a mistake with the ball but at the same time he doesn't have that hurt factor that Clark seems to have with disposals, or the clearing lines and breaking tackles that Jones showed he can do.

Helps when he gets 3 goals on the board as well, which he didn't manage this time.

What I'm also loving is the even spread of goalkickers! Makes our forward line a lot less predictable than when when we were just bombing it to Juice!?
We know have many options for the opposition to worry about and gives our forward entries are far more dynamic effect. Multiple options is always a far better team balance than relying on just the one spearhead. Getting more goals from our smalls is also a big sign of a good side!

i think this is exactly why you shouldn't predict performance in a season like this. it's so hard to get right.

instead they should have been aiming for more exposure for clubs during what is a very difficult time for clubs and businesses that sponsor clubs.

You’re correct. In a truncated season, where all clubs are battling for money, that was a ridiculous reason for allocating free to air time.
should have made it equal for all.

What is also simple is your ability to read what someone has posted & change a few key words to suit your smarmy response

9cc355c58a4fcd9ae5c5d2631e97cd03.jpg

Facts? Try again Knackers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mate I've nothing against you preferring Ross over Dunstan but if you gonna use a metric to explain your preference, at least use one that supports your argument.

Seb Ross does not "drift forward" and kick goals.

Luke Dunstan 104 games 45 goals 51 behinds

Sebastian Ross 128 games 22 goals 35 behinds

Bit harsh. He's got one of the toughest jobs in footy right now.

I think he's done well.

King was attending ruck contests.
Wonder if part of the decision to not play Ryder , involved a decision that Max didn't seem to need to be wrapped in cotton balls based on his games so far.
Having Carlisle and Howard contest the ruck in the back line lets Marshall stay forward as a target to help us move the ball forward. Also means he's not running just to get to where the contest is.

Its all starting to click into place.

Ruck Contests:
Marshal 57. Hitouts 25 , To advantage 7 15 disposals 2 clearances 91% TOG
Battle 7. Hitouts 2. No advantage or clearances. 16 disposals 71% TOG.
Carlisle 5 . Hitouts 3 No advantage or clearances. 9 disposals 97% TOG.
Howard 2 Hitouts 1 No advantage or clearancss. 8 disposals 93% TOG.
King 2 . No Hitouts or clearances , 8 disposals 86% TOG.
Marsh 1 No Hitouts or clearances, 11 disposals 86% TOG.

It was almost Hawthornesque. We were smashed in the middle, we lost the contested possession count, but when we got it we were able to move it quickly and efficiently to the goals.
It doesn't mean our midfield is any less crap, but it means the rest of it is pretty damn good.
Midfield wasn't helped by Jones and Gresham playing only a game and a quarter between the two of them ( due to injury ).

Marshall and Billings 91 and 92 % TOG, for the roles they are playing , suggests they both have a serious tank.
Didn’t Marsh get the ball to Kent for his final quarter goal? He certainly celebrated like he did.

Billings is just becoming that accumulator that you don't always notice. End of every game he's got 20-30 touches. Which can be both good and bad. Certainly rarely makes a mistake with the ball but at the same time he doesn't have that hurt factor that Clark seems to have with disposals, or the clearing lines and breaking tackles that Jones showed he can do.

Helps when he gets 3 goals on the board as well, which he didn't manage this time.
I think we expect Billings to always hit the scoreboard that so when he doesnt the instant conclusion is he must have played a bad game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back