Autopsy Round 4, 2020: St.Kilda v Richmond *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Ross has 13 turnovers in 2020. Dunstan has none.

79 disposals compared to 21. Dunstan 47% disposal efficiency which means he had about 9 effective disposals for the year. Ross at over 70%. Also 13 marks for Seb, 3 for Dunstan. Dunstan hasn't done much wrong because he hasn't been getting games. He should get back in for Jones though this week. Hopefully he pads those stats.

Probably the best our half back line has looked all year.

Coffield, Clark, Paton and Long.

That's a bloody strong future. Long probably hasn't quite hit his straps offensively but some of his defensive efforts have been unreal to watch. I'd hate to run into the campaigner

Also, Carlisle seems to be playing as well as he has for the club which is great. Not sure why so many seem to think he won't be here next year but I hope that's not the case.

Good to see you finally come around Gringo

I'm always wary of getting too cocky. Acres, Savage and Dunstan for Mc Evoy and then trading in Longer and Delaney looked like genius. We did get Bruce as well that year which probably saved the trade period from disaster to just crap.

That's a bloody strong future. Long probably hasn't quite hit his straps offensively but some of his defensive efforts have been unreal to watch. I'd hate to run into the campaigner

Also, Carlisle seems to be playing as well as he has for the club which is great. Not sure why so many seem to think he won't be here next year but I hope that's not the case.

Carlisle looks as good as he's played for the Saints this year. I was wrong on him, I thought he was half hearted and cooked. Howard needs to find some form though. I get nervous when he goes at the ball. He runs under it too easily and often disposes poorly. I can see why Port sent him to the reserves occasionally. He looks like he needs to find confidence.

Long is proper hard. He's got some proper old school mongrel where his eyes glaze over and he goes hard at the contest, he's got a bit of Byron Pickett but without the sniper factor. He fairly hits the contest, he's just going to make you earn anything you win off him.

When the team ran out, Carlisle had the biggest smile on his face. He looked so happy and relaxed. And it is showing in how he is playing.

Such a difference to last year when he constantly looked frustrated at himself and what he could (and couldn't) do.

When the team ran out, Carlisle had the biggest smile on his face. He looked so happy and relaxed. And it is showing in how he is playing.

Such a difference to last year when he constantly looked frustrated at himself and what he could (and couldn't) do.
That’s because he has moved to east Bentleigh. Hill never stops smiling. Not sure about longy though. We smile in east Bentleigh

I’d say it’s just geary for Jones. I know not like for like but makes the most sense.

Agree.
If Gresh’s eye is worse than it actually looks maybe there’s a case for a debutant...Byrnes?

Was as good a pickup as those we got last season imo.
( Aside from the year out obviously and his back issues last season).

I have lot of confidence in him in the backline. He’s got great hands and what about that spoil he had no right to make last night?

Last edited:
I think our "throw caution to the wind" type of game will work against some teams but not all, but should be enough to get us a few rungs up the ladder this season. Watching some of those young guys get a chance to develop- Paton, Coffield, Clark, Long, Battle,King reminds me a bit of the young Geelong core coming through during the the 2000s- good signs. King needs to build up body strength a bit as got out-bodied sometimes yesterday, but he will only get better- he's a a smart player. If we have a loosing streak, then I expect players like Byrnes/ Bytel/ Abbott to get a run, but for now let's just keep winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quoting your own posts now. You have confidence

Am half asleep....😳 obviously you are on the ball.
I know it’s not good form, I have remedied it.

Anyway back on my favourite topic again and it’s 2 rucks versus one ruck. I hope when I talk about this I’m not biased but like most people I probably am. After the game yesterday I come from both a position of strength and weakness. The weakness is Marshall did get beaten yesterday by a very good trier. He wasn’t bad and a matter of fact was probably in our top 6 but nankervis was close to best on the ground. The position of strength is we won the game

To me it’s never been how the 2 will work when actually rucking. They were always going to be a great pair. The problem is as forwards they were going to struggle and struggle they have. They have been close to terrible. The questions the selectors have to ask themselves is do the strength they give us in the ruck outway the weakness they give us as forwards. Obviously my answer is no. The second question is when playing one ruck does the 10 minute weakness when someone else is rucking outway the strength we get with someone forward who actually is a proper forward. My answer is again no and that is the reason I think one ruck works against any type of ruck. I don’t buy this horses for courses. This is where I could be biased but I thought of forwards worked better yesterday than any game this year. I also expect Marshall to get more confidence rucking all game.

now people may say it doesn’t really matter, it’s just one position but I rate this year as a vital year. We are not in a development time even though one or two think we are. You don’t recruit 5 ready mades and be in a development year. You also do play more first and second year players if it’s just development. And finally we have 45k loyal supporters who nearly all haven’t asked for their money back if they new or thought this year was about development and we went something like 6 and 11 I’m unsure most of that 45k would join again especially after a year where they just donated their money. We like most clubsshould and are about winning every game we possibly can and apart from a pathetic second half against north we should be 3 and one. What has this got to do with one or two rucks you may ask. Well I am that strong on playing one ruck I think it could be the difference between winning and losing some games this year. I will be biased and say it may have even cost us the north game this year. As I said that’s probably biased but I will stand by it. Anyway rant over. Sorry to bore you again.
Well I certainly have to agree with you on this one - you are biased. Didn't see anything like this after the Doggies game when we kicked 14.4. (Oh yes - two "ruckmen" played that game.

Marshall certainly played OK yesterday but as you said he was still beaten by Nankervis and in reality only got one more possession than his game against the Pies - he is great around the ground but far as being a ruckman that provides an advantage to our mids he still has a lot to learn.

Quite happy to see Battle (and Carlisle and Howard and Marsh) ruck against the likes of Kamdyn Mcintosh yesterday but still think there's a place for Marshall/Ryder combo.

Given we played 4 tall forwards yesterday (how the hell did that work?) there's still space for the combo when required.

Great effort all round by the team - most positive sign was the progression of the defensive unit - still learning - still some poor decisions making but it looks like it has the making of a both a very solid defensive unit but with attacking capabilities.

Jake - I apologise - please stay!!!

Our midfield is still a work in progress but we still seem to be able to nullify opposition teams (provided they aren't getting silver service from Grundy and Co). It will great if we can ever develop the capacity to actually clear the ball from the centre square with something other than a scrambled kick.

If someone is connected to the club - can they ask Ratts to explain this centre square "set up" for me? Bizarre

1593297524023.png

Well I certainly have to agree with you on this one - you are biased. Didn't see anything like this after the Doggies game when we kicked 14.4. (Oh yes - two "ruckmen" played that game.

Marshall certainly played OK yesterday but as you said he was still beaten by Nankervis and in reality only got one more possession than his game against the Pies - he is great around the ground but far as being a ruckman that provides an advantage to our mids he still has a lot to learn.

Quite happy to see Battle (and Carlisle and Howard and Marsh) ruck against the likes of Kamdyn Mcintosh yesterday but still think there's a place for Marshall/Ryder combo.

Given we played 4 tall forwards yesterday (how the hell did that work?) there's still space for the combo when required.

Great effort all round by the team - most positive sign was the progression of the defensive unit - still learning - still some poor decisions making but it looks like it has the making of a both a very solid defensive unit but with attacking capabilities.

Jake - I apologise - please stay!!!

Our midfield is still a work in progress but we still seem to be able to nullify opposition teams (provided they aren't getting silver service from Grundy and Co). It will great if we can ever develop the capacity to actually clear the ball from the centre square with something other than a scrambled kick.

If someone is connected to the club - can they ask Ratts to explain this centre square "set up" for me? Bizarre

View attachment 901709
And you are also biased the other way. Just out of interest apart from obviously English who are the types of rucks or sides where two will work? Also can you at least acknowledge it has not even come close to working as forwards or would that be to much to admit. Please don’t tell me they had 3 goals between them when both of Marshall’s goals before yesterday were kicked when he rucked. They have 1 goal in 3 games as forwards. Also might be coincidence but that was the best performance as a group both tall and small this year. Maybe having a guy who is proper forward go in there helps.

as for the picture are you asking where our wings were? If that’s the case I have no idea.

Marshall was better playing on his own today but... I don’t think he’s “the third best ruckman in the league” yet that often gets posted here. Nankervis had his measure today, he still has plenty to work on. Exciting talent though and nice to be consistently competitive in ruck duels throughout a game.

Jones still does my head in even when he’s playing well, think he’s going to be one of those frustrating players that does great things and then sprays kicks undoing something amazing.
We all loved Jack Steven and he was exactly the same. A like for like replacement but 6 years younger.

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought this was an even more consistent across the board performance than the Bulldogs game. Every player contributed and no glaring howlers. Saints will lose a few games playing that way but I think it is how this team should play with the personnel they have.

Better game from Coffield - made less mistakes but I still feel he is overthinking and is the one player who slows our transitions from defence. Like to see Webster back in. If Marsh can harness that form he becomes a Jake Stringer like X-factor player, very impressive.

Not sure how Josh Battle gets out of this team. To me he just adds so much versatility and is the type of player who is going to get better and better with work. Has to stay in this team.

Thought King did a lot of good stuff. Still getting pushed out of the marking contest too easily - needs to use his pace as more of a weapon. At this stage of his career, the big pack mark is not his thing.

Midfield still a concern. I thought Ross did a good job on Martin, Gresham better but still not much impact.

Agree.
If Gresh’s eye is worse than it actually looks maybe there’s a case for a debutant...Byrnes?
How could it possibly be worse than it looked? Tough little campaigner. Showed great ticker to keep battling on with one eye in the last quarter!

Suppose he got to feel what we all experience week in week out.
Being one eyed! Boom Boom! ;)

I disagree. I don't think he was 'some margin' better than any other saint tonight.. could you name me one player he was 'some margin' better than tonight?
Well for one, it was a very complete team effort, so no one was marginally better than any one else. However gresh was really poor last night, so I’d say everyone was better than him by some margin

Like George, watched it late last night due to prior commitments. Avoided all spoilers so woke there Fam up at 1am with my cheering. A couple of observations.

We are a better side with Battle. His work if the ball is huge. He has mongrel and is an awesome addition. Will be a real player.

Marshall did get beat (smashed) in the hit out but he is invaluable as a clearing player. Really smart. Numerous times Richmond had first crack at the clearance but Marshall provides body cover and second/third efforts which often resulted in winning the ball back whilst Nankervis was a passenger as soon as the tap out occurred. He clears space.

Butler.

King needs to clunk more. Will come eventually but he was the reason Butler, Members, Kent and Lonie often got away. Double teamed.

Very attractive game style. Finally recruiting to become formidable at Marvel under the roof. Quick and fit.

Loved the aggression taking on tacklers, however even Ratts said that this was a particular game style for the Tigers and we shouldn't expect it each week. I have a feeling we tried the same last week against the Pies and didn't pull it off. An the start of the last qtr we had 7 tackles to 0 at one stage. Hunting in packs.

Now is not the time to bring in debutants. We have a chance to go 3-2 in a shortened season. If Jones misses, Dunstan.

Go Saints.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Membrey had his best game with Battle in the side. Battle leading up the ground and providing that option out of the back half I think allowed Membrey to stay more where he's most dangerous.

And battle floating back as a spare to close out the game was another bonus. Strong hands and keeps his feet in the contest. Has to play out the season there's too much upside to ignore even if he does lose form at some point

I thought Jakey was easily one of our best on ground. Solid, reliable, calming.

Took 9 marks, the most of anyone on the ground and a number of them were big contested,marks when we were under the pump.

He made some of the people that were calling for him to be dropped look silly, he's still one of our most important players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back