Preview Round 4, 2020: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 27th June, 4:35PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Tigers

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
RjcoeGw.png

FDan ButlerMax KingJack Lonie
HFJack BillingsTim MembreyJade Gresham
CHunter ClarkZak JonesBrad Hill
HBJimmy WebsterJake CarlisleBen Paton
BCallum WilkieDougal HowardDylan Roberton
FOLLRowan MarshallDan HanneberyJack Steele
INTJosh BattleSebastian RossMatthew ParkerJack Bytel

IN: Webster, Roberton, Battle, Parker, Bytel
OUT: Ryder, Hind, Long, Coffield, Marsh

Time to rotate the squad. Unfortunately for Marsh he came in when we played poorly and I think will make way for a different balanced team. Clark to the wing. Marshall to 1st ruck, maybe Howard to relief, Battle to swing back and forward as needed. We need the extra run here, not an extra ruck. Robo, Wilkie and Webster can play tall or small. Bytel (or next best) needed as as extra mid, Gresh to go half forward with Billings. Parker has the X factor to win it of his own boot, plays tall and small, hard as, quick.

Our running game was totally shut down against the Pies. We need to recognise early when it's not working, and shift to more kicking. Sounds simple huh. We'll have the talls up forward to hopefully get it done (King/Membrey/Battle/Parker). If we have our run going then we can hit up the leads. If it comes to ground the smalls need to get the job done, looking at Gresham and Lonie to be big improvers here.

Can't be conservative against the Tiges otherwise it's game over before it's begun. Last point, our midfield really needs to sort out the s**t from today. You wouldn't even think Sidebottom nor Pendles had an opponent today, atrocious. We had too many inside mids and couldn't get near it, should've changed it up early with Steele tagging Pendles, Hill on Sidebottom, and I would've chucked Butler in there, at least they are quick/nimble/clever enough to make a contest. I can't stress enough how our midfield setup was a massive fail today.

The Tigers will be hurting badly, following their mauling by Hawthorn, and they will be looking for redemption. It's going to be tough against an angry champions; we need to be fully prepared for their fury. We need the energy and running we saw against the Bulldogs; another performance like the Magpies game could see us hammered.

It's certainly a case of being hopeful, rather than optimistic, but we have shown we have quality; we just need to bring our top game. If we are still in the game at half time, we could prevail.

Not sure we can make many changes. One scratch match isn’t going to help much. Ones in trouble are marsh Ryder and coffield.
I think a few more than that are in trouble and all these players are getting picked off the back of a few weeks on the track.

Ben long apart from the occasional big hit continues to disappoint imo, couldn’t find it as a small forward and is even worse across halfback.

I think a few more than that are in trouble and all these players are getting picked off the back of a few weeks on the track.

Ben long apart from the occasional big hit continues to disappoint imo, couldn’t find it as a small forward and is even worse across halfback.
Thought his second half was ok. His problem is the opposition put a dangerous player on him and he loses all run. He can’t get the balance right between attack and defence. Think he gets another game though.

Wilkie - Howard - Paton
Clark - Carlisle - Long
Hannebery - Steele - Hill
Billings - Membrey - Butler
Lonie - King - Battle

Marshall - Jones - Gresham

Webster, Dunstan, Ross, Marsh

Don't like having to go back to Dunstan, but we need someone outside of Gresham willing to get their hands dirty and win the footy.

Webster has been doing everything right by all reports. Would have loved to see Coff play all year but he made some really bad mistakes under pressure.

Back to one ruck, Battle forward. Marsh to plug the holes, back up ruck. Liked his effort yesterday but probably needs to do more this week and shouldn't be starting a in the centre square unless he's competing in the ruck.

Hopefully our mids get a rocket this week. Tiges will be froffing at the mouth.

Not sure we can make many changes. One scratch match isn’t going to help much. Ones in trouble are marsh Ryder and coffield.

I'd put Hind back and bring Parker in. Webster or Savage for Coffield. Battle in for Marshall or Ryder but probably would prefer to go smaller.

This will be a test. I will be very interested to see how Ratts fires the boys up and what statements they make at the selection table. For me, this is what I would like to see:

Geary - Howard - Wilkie
Paton - Carlisle - Long
Hill - Clark - Billings
Butler - Membrey - Hind
Lonie - Marshall - King

Ryder - Jones - Gresham

Ross - Steele - Byrnes - Parker

I think they need to make a statement that games like the Pies are unacceptable, so Hannebery, Marsh and Coffield are out. Ross gets the benefit of the doubt for one game but is on notice.

Byrnes gets the nod due to pace, but would also be happy with Bytel coming in. Going back to Dunstan does us no favours into the future - we know what he brings. Parker can come in to add some speed and aggression and x factor as scoring was a problem yesterday.

Gresham stays in the midfield as he was our best clearance player, supported by Jones. Clark in as a full time mid to add that kicking out of the clearance - he can play as a classic centre player to be the link for transition.

Against Nankervis I think we stick to the 2 rucks. Ryder to give us the tap advantage, Marshall to provide some size in support of King.

I don't think we should mess with the back 6 too much, as they look like a pretty good mix. Geary in for Coffield. I see no need to bring Robbo back in with Carlisle / Howard / Wilkie playing tall pretty well, and matching up against Lynch / Riewoldt nicely.

Thought his second half was ok. His problem is the opposition put a dangerous player on him and he loses all run. He can’t get the balance right between attack and defence. Think he gets another game though.

I think he's no better than Savage so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Savage doesn’t defend at all and is completely outside. If we go back to him we are really stuffed.

That's his role though, to provide an attacking option from the backline. So far Long has been worse, he occasionally does something good but not enough. Savage worked well playing further up the ground last year where he could kick the ball into the forward 50. He can actually kick which is a novelty at the Saints.

That's his role though, to provide an attacking option from the backline. So far Long has been worse, he occasionally does something good but not enough. Savage worked well playing further up the ground last year where he could kick the ball into the forward 50. He can actually kick which is a novelty at the Saints.
He is a long kick but doesn’t use it well. Surely his time is up. If coffield is dropped it’s surely for Webster. Long won’t be dropped yet and this is coming from someone who thinks long is an ordinary footballer.

He is a long kick but doesn’t use it well. Surely his time is up. If coffield is dropped it’s surely for Webster. Long won’t be dropped yet and this is coming from someone who thinks long is an ordinary footballer.
He’s going to end up seeing more chances than Adam Gilchrist at this rate, surely battle and Sinclair get first crack after being held over and Webster played well by all reports so that would do me for this week.

I didn’t like our side against the bulldogs but we played well so fair enough what do I know but this week we were exposed. Anyway I look forward to seeing what we do at selection and how we go against the tigers.

I don't rate Webster as high as others do. I think him not being available for so many games has made people forget he's only average. Him and Savage are around the same level, neither are guns.

I don't rate Webster as high as others do. I think him not being available for so many games has made people forget he's only average. Him and Savage are around the same level, neither are guns.
Completely different players though. Rather the hardness of Webster

Reckon Coff and Marsh will be persisted with.
As you say who knows, nobody has seen training and from the scant reports of the scratch match only Dingley Liquorlands put his hand up

Maybe Hind out?

Seems every time we lose Geary we fall in a hole and dont look anywhere as good as a team.
But apparently he is not AFL standard even though he has outlasted four coaches and the players love him.
Ratts must know nothing about football.

Completely different players though. Rather the hardness of Webster

How's he hard? Throwing pies at women is about as tough as he gets. He's average and injury prone. Averages 13 games a year, 16 possessions, 3 marks and 2 tackles a game. To me he could easily be delisted next year.

How's he hard? Throwing pies at women is about as tough as he gets. He's average and injury prone. Averages 13 games a year, 16 possessions, 3 marks and 2 tackles a game. To me he could easily be delisted next year.
Hard at the ball and the opposition. He could be delisted but so could probably 3 or 4 who played yesterday. He is the best option at the moment.

Reckon Coff and Marsh will be persisted with.
As you say who knows, nobody has seen training and from the scant reports of the scratch match only Dingley Liquorlands put his hand up

Maybe Hind out?

Seems every time we lose Geary we fall in a hole and dont look anywhere as good as a team.
But apparently he is not AFL standard even though he has outlasted four coaches and the players love him.
Ratts must know nothing about football.

Ok, so he’s not our best player but we absolutely miss his leadership and gut busting efforts and 1%-ers. No one stood up yesterday - not Hanners, not Ross certainly.

Hard at the ball and the opposition. He could be delisted but so could probably 3 or 4 who played yesterday. He is the best option at the moment.

He's an option anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back