Review Round 4 2021 - Collingwood Magpies vs GWS Giants, 7:25 PM MCG, Saturday April 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Haynes is not a wing, can't kick to fwd's. He's an AA level intercept marking half back. Tom Green and Hopper have clearly been instructed to slow it down everytime they mark it and it is killing our fwd's. Dorsal, Harry and Riccardi, just get it to them quickly and in front and we are serious chance here.

Seems it's the younger players have put their hand up to play so far - Taylor, Daniels, Ash, Bobby

The experienced players either fumbling or gone missing.
Yep, 100%.

Really impressed with Ash. He’s quick and has terrific skills, but his gut running and contested stuff is miles better than I expected. Not exaggerating I say he’s in the AA squad at this rate.

Daniels looking great, just love him on ball and having the license to run rather than just be confined to the pocket.

Stone has made some blues and shown his inexperience but I like what I see. Is XOH okay after coping a bit of a knock? Because although he doesn’t have a lot of the ball, he is so classy. I have a great feeling about his future.

Haynes is not a wing, can't kick to fwd's. He's an AA level intercept marking half back. Tom Green and Hopper have clearly been instructed to slow it down everytime they mark it and it is killing our fwd's. Dorsal, Harry and Riccardi, just get it to them quickly and in front and we are serious chance here.
Haynes’ forward entries have been diabolical.

Finlayson has competed really well so far, giving the mids an option. Love Riccardi’s overhead marking, so clean.

Two hack kicks in a row from XOH. You’re better than that son, you have time. Use your strength and agility to get free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both cumming and ash can lower their eyes and hit targets, not sure why they just keep bombing it in to the same spot. None of our forwards really lead into space. We barely ever get uncontested marks leading to goals in our forward 50 at good angles. We are always depending on kicking to a pack and hoping for a contested mark. We might get a lucky goal here and there, but we will never win regular games with a good flow of goals with the current game plan.

Both cumming and ash can lower their eyes and hit targets, not sure why they just keep bombing it in to the same spot. None of our forwards really lead into space. We barely ever get uncontested marks leading to goals in our forward 50 at good angles. We are always depending on kicking to a pack and hoping for a contested mark. We might get a lucky goal here and there, but we will never win regular games with a good flow of goals with the current game plan.

I think that's the answer right there. All 3 forwards running in the same direction and same patterns, none of them leading.

On cue, a lead by finlayson with a relatively uncontested mark - at least gives us a chance to kick a goal with minimum injury carnage. I think contested ball is important but Leon's sole emphasis on this as a model to winning has made us play almost rugby-like at times, less emphasis on skill and vision, hard for appropriate injury prevention techniques to be implemented and subsequently increased injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back