Review Round 4 2021 - Collingwood Magpies vs GWS Giants, 7:25 PM MCG, Saturday April 10

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Fantastic result after getting hammered by injury the week previous against what was an essentially full strength Collingwood side.

Ward, Greene, Finlayson take a bow.
Thought Mumford was really good despite getting tired at the end.
Hill terrific whenever he came near the ball. Need to find a way to get him more touches though.
Stone was ok in his first game.
Ash will be an asset going forward.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
‘This is a massive result’: Captain Greene inspires baby Giants to shock win over Pies

You’re unlikely to find a gutsier win in the Giants’ short history than this.

Amid a 0-3 tailspin start and a deepening injury crisis, a baby Giants team featuring seven players with under 10 games experience has upset a near full-strength Collingwood in wet conditions at the MCG.

Even though few tipsters gave them a snowflake’s hope, the Giants were inspired by a stunning five-goal haul from stand-in skipper Toby Greene to beat the Magpies by 30 points, 14.6 (60) to 9.6 (60), to record their first win of the season.

“This is a massive result for the Giants,” St Kilda legend Nick Riewoldt told Fox Footy. “Staring down the barrel of 0-4 with the changes that they had coming into this game – most of them forced. All those injuries for the Giants coming into the game, maybe for the regeneration of this group, that’s exactly what they’ve needed because we know they’ve had all these kids sitting there but we don’t really know whether they can play.”

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
A few upset pies supporters tonight 😭
Buckley lost them the game with playing Quaynor on Greene for the first half, there were other contributing factors but that was a major one
I think it says a lot about the season the Pies will have that it turned into a 5 goal win and the media knives will be out for Buckley this week

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Credit where credit is due, they made the right decision with Mumford. He nullified Grundy tonight and there were a few occasions where he protected the mids very well. He did what he needed to do.
Yep, I agree. I was strongly critical of that decision, but Mummy was primed for the role, and did it well. Well done, Leon, a well judged and coached ''in''.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
A hands-down, great team performance @ ‘G. One of our best ever at the ‘G.

IMO it underlines that we should be 3&1, not 1&3.

From a selection viewpoint, Mummy confirms yet again he is an Orange living legend. However, this must be a ‘break glass in case of emergency’ tactic, not a 2021 season strategy.

The ruck selections for R5-6 are complicated by not having tried a Flynn-Briggs combo.

And WTF re TOJ? Leon gives a 3 year extension to a ‘4-goal night’ KPF who he then sits on the sidelines while HH is battered and we throw away R1-2 wins.

Big picture, Leon’s preferred team in R1 let’s it slip at home, and then gets even worse in R2. And in R4 he plays his non-preferred team and gets a big win at the ‘G.

‘Confusing and confused’ are the words that springs to mind.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Suddenly, I'm looking forward to next week at the SCG.

If we play with the same commitment shown last night, we can definitely cause an upset.

But with Davis out, who plays on Buddy? That's the big challenge.

Keefe for his size and Haynes will need to be the 2nd man up

next week - OUT: Buntine

Can actually see minimum 3 changes for next week, which is odd when you win

Out : Buntine
In : Reid (lock down job on Papley before Whitfield comes back possibly the following week)

Out : Mummy
In : Flynn (needed to be managed, Finlayson to pinch hit in the ruck)
Could see them aiming for Briggs to play against the Crows, after 2 solid weeks in the VFL
However we may need to play 2 rucks against the Dogs

Out : Stone (prefer he plays Rd.1 VFL rather than be a medical sub)
In : Hogan

Will be interesting to see if any of the boys pull up sore in 1-2 days time, Ward played on so should be ok 🤞

Last edited:

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Boy was I wrong about Mumford... did a great job negating Grundy.
In saying that, I think he and Buntine are omitted next week.
At the game, XOH should be playing in the one’s consistently from now... his mix of power and endurance is noticeable at the ground.
Stone did a few good things... will need more time at the lower levels to continue to develop... big kid for his age.
The more Bobby understands his weapons the better off we’ll be.
I think Reid will come in to play on someone like Papley. I think Flynn comes back too.

Agreed on sentiments of XOH. His stats are far from impressive (11 disposals, 2 tackles) but watching the game you'd think he had 10 tackle breaks, 10 tackles... he did a lot 1%ers. I think he's really starting to find his role within the team.

Stone showed some glimpses of promise, there was a moment in the first half where he dared to take the game on. He ended up drawing in three defenders and having to retreat from him but I liked the attitude and thought if he had a bit more experience at top level, he may have pulled it off.

We're a far more balanced side with three talls in the forward line. It's hard to see who Hogan comes in for between Finlayson, Riccardi and Himmelberg tbh.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Agreed on sentiments of XOH. His stats are far from impressive (11 disposals, 2 tackles) but watching the game you'd think he had 10 tackle breaks, 10 tackles... he did a lot 1%ers. I think he's really starting to find his role within the team.

Stone showed some glimpses of promise, there was a moment in the first half where he dared to take the game on. He ended up drawing in three defenders and having to retreat from him but I liked the attitude and thought if he had a bit more experience at top level, he may have pulled it off.

We're a far more balanced side with three talls in the forward line. It's hard to see who Hogan comes in for between Finlayson, Riccardi and Himmelberg tbh.
I think hogan comes in maybe for riccardi. You can’t drop HH and TOJ after last night and hogan just needs to play

Back