Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

-I get you.

But it is only round 4. The club is still throwing everything at winning.

Perhaps after this loss, or a few more, and there will be plenty of time for the "rebuild season" to start and perhaps a new "rebuild game plan" too.
Loading ~ since 2017!

Just got back from the game ,watching it live it looked horrible not sure how it looked on TV. I like our fight but we just lack the polsih over the ground . With our 3 most skilled players in a team that right now is bottom it is never going to be easy .

Negatives definetly out weigh the positives but thought Lewis presented well, Moore tried his guts out I just wish he had a bit more speed, wingard is class and our half backline is exciting thats about it .

Basic skill errors from senior players cost us , it was actually so frustrating watching Mitchell live try to build pointless possession chains when he was in no position to call for the ball. The 2 rucks isn't working and I think it was everyone's concern prior to the game , ceglars management deserves an award because I've got no idea how he got
a 3 year contract. If obrien isn't second ruck then he isn't in the team for the rest of the year some of his efforts were today were so sub afl standard it was embarrassing .

We easily have the least skilled midfield in the comp by a mile and its where we come undone so often, our backs will put us in a position where we have the ability to move it fast but with omeara , Mitchell, worpel , Phillips and shiels delivering it fwd of centre we are never going to make scoring goals look easy atm.

I agree with all that.

But Tom Mitchell is a star. He is absolutely above the rest.

One of the most frustrating things for me - and most of you know it's a bug bear of mine - is how we went after a premiership assistant coach and gave him the forwards coach role and told him that the forwards, in particular the KPF's, aren't allowed to lead. It's just a waste of a supposed good assistant coach when he was the forwards coach for the premiers where he had the KPF's working in sync with each other leading, blocking, sacrificing and creating space for themselves and for others, only to seemingly be so restricted in what he's allowed to do and not allowed to structure the forward line so it's free, dangerous and playing to the players' strengths.

If he can make spuds like Castagna, Rioli and Higgins effective forwards, give him the same opportunity to here and maybe, just maybe, we'll see Brockman kicking goals in the first 3 quarters, Hanrahan kicking goals, Bruest being dangerous even when the chips are down, Lewis getting multiple shots on goal and drawing extra defenders, etc

What a waste of talent.

Our big problem is simple but the solution is hard: we lack talent. We are a bottom 4 side on talent which means if our effort drops off at all, we cop a mauling. That happened in the first quarter, as it did in the second quarter against Essendon.

Our effort after quarter time was good but our skills remained terrible. We will always cough up goals to mistakes because our prime ball winners in Mitchell, O’Meara, Phillips and Worpel are poor ball users and poor decision makers. They all cost us goals today, the two from O’Meara and Worpel late in the third term were critical.

Mitchell gets a pass mark for willing us back into the game with an incredible second quarter. He was otherwise poor though. Worpel beat his opponent Brayshaw and should be given a longer stint at tagging. But his ball use was atrocious. O’Meara did his usual trick of following a great game with an average game. Shiels was anonymous. This midfield group is taking us nowhere.

On the positive side, CJ was in our best again, Moore was excellent and Chad is the one guy in the side with class. Brockman showed a couple good signs, but has plenty to work on.

TOB, Howe, Ceglar, Hartley will not improve and they are not good enough. I don’t understand playing them.

Fremantle are very ordinary. This very much looked like two bottom 4 sides
We lack top end talent, that's just the reality. We can argue all day about Ceglar, O'Brien and Howe, but ultimately they are miniature chips in the scheme of things, they aren't why we are losing. Once we can develop or bring in at least 3-4 elite players then the bottom end of our 22 will look after itself.

I hope we can unearth some real talent, and am excited to see the likes of Downie, DGB and maybe Jeka as the year roles on. But I also see that the club wants to nurture players in the 2s and get them familiar with the way we play and give them at least a few pre-seasons before bringing them in, unless they demonstrate immediate x factor, ie Brockman. Many here disagree with this, and that's their right, but I also see the benefit of development at VFL level that has brought to players like CJ and Moore, who just didn't have it in them in their earlier games.

I think the club/clarkson only recently came around to the idea we are in a rebuild.

It is still early in the season - and you have to give the senior team a chance to show they can win.

The switch will be pulled soon.
Did they miss seasons 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017. Seriously I know clarko can be stubborn but thats 4 years of being delusional you are accusing him of being.

And he just got it after today's game? Wow.

We lack top end talent, that's just the reality. We can argue all day about Ceglar, O'Brien and Howe, but ultimately they are miniature chips in the scheme of things, they aren't why we are losing. Once we can develop or bring in at least 3-4 elite players then the bottom end of our 22 will look after itself.

I hope we can unearth some real talent, and am excited to see the likes of Downie, DGB and maybe Jeka as the year roles on. But I also see that the club wants to nurture players in the 2s and get them familiar with the way we play and give them at least a few pre-seasons before bringing them in, unless they demonstrate immediate x factor, ie Brockman. Many here disagree with this, and that's their right, but I also see the benefit of development at VFL level that has brought to players like CJ and Moore, who just didn't have it in them in their earlier games.
Fair call. But some players develop quicker when given a chance at senior level.

Main reason I reckon is to stop the 100 beatings. It just destroys a club's culture longer term.

Starts and ends with our midfield. All butcher the ball constantly. Freo just walked it out of the Centre bounce everytime. Will have to trade one at end of year. Not all doom and Gloom, we were terrible last 2 years and our rewards for that were Day and DGB. Downie looks a player and hopefully Seamus Mitchell is as good as advertised. Add in an elite mid with pick 2 and were away. Just don’t see the point of playing Ceglar anymore. He’s continually our worst player.

Moore tried his guts out I just wish he had a bit more speed,

I edited your post a lot to get the above quote from you (which I agree with)

Moore didn't have speed when he arrived at the club. Yet how tall is he? I couldn't believe it when I first saw Moore in a few VFL games in his first year- why did we recruit him if he isn't fast?

It is things like this that make we wonder about the recruiting by the club over recent years.

Worpel tagged Brayshaw and took him to the cleaners. Or did you not watch the game?

Aside from a couple of turnovers thought he was pretty good. Never tagged before so is adding a new element to his game.
He tagged Guthrie last week and got pantsed... never tagged b4 seriously stop making stuff up. It was a week ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they miss seasons 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017. Seriously I know clarko can be stubborn but thats 4 years of being delusional you are accusing him of being.

And he just got it after today's game? Wow.

Clarkson only worked it out last year. But have no doubt he knows it now.

Any rebuilding club is not going to rebuild from round 1. It is a long season.

-I get you.

But it is only round 4. The club is still throwing everything at winning.

Perhaps after this loss, or a few more, and there will be plenty of time for the "rebuild season" to start and perhaps a new "rebuild game plan" too.

The issue is a lot of the blokes being played were found out severely last season and not good enough yet we continue with them. I know clarko is very good mates with the ceglar family but the guy is 29. For goodness sake time to move on.

Timmy O. Cops a flogging for the past 8 years on here yet we still go with him. It’s a bit like old mate Schoey. Clarko wants to prove everyone wrong I think.

Dan Howe would not be getting a game in a top 8 team so why at age 26 is he getting a game with us while we are battling. Time to move on.

if you are dead wood move on and play kids and let’s finish near the bottom for a year or two and get some early picks that might give us some hope.

Every young fella we have, Brockman, Kosi, Lewis that we are holding hope for we have picked up around number 40 and above. Do we think we are miracle workers and these late picks are going to turn into stars?

We need some quality badly injected into the side. Early picks is where it is at unfortunately.

Day has been a revelation and excited us all because he was pick 11.

Effort and guts - 9/10
Skills by hand and foot - 2/10
Doing the 1%ers - 2/10
Fluid systematic movement of the ball - 0

I had to leave the house in the last after being told by the mother of my children to either watch the games elsewhere, or get anger-management therapy.

Excruciating butchery of the ball.

Mate the trick is to get on an exercise bike whilst you're watching. I jumped on at half time and pumped out over 600 calories halfway through the last quarter. You don't even think about it when you're that frustrated.

With the rule changes, I'm just not Sure what 2 ruckman offer us? I reckon we're better off sans Ceglar and having a line breaker in the side. Weve got plenty who could pinch hit in the ruck for a few minutes. No disrespect for Cegs but think we could offer the spot to someone with much needed run and kicking skill.

One of the most frustrating things for me - and most of you know it's a bug bear of mine - is how we went after a premiership assistant coach and gave him the forwards coach role and told him that the forwards, in particular the KPF's, aren't allowed to lead. It's just a waste of a supposed good assistant coach when he was the forwards coach for the premiers where he had the KPF's working in sync with each other leading, blocking, sacrificing and creating space for themselves and for others, only to seemingly be so restricted in what he's allowed to do and not allowed to structure the forward line so it's free, dangerous and playing to the players' strengths.

If he can make spuds like Castagna, Rioli and Higgins effective forwards, give him the same opportunity to here and maybe, just maybe, we'll see Brockman kicking goals in the first 3 quarters, Hanrahan kicking goals, Bruest being dangerous even when the chips are down, Lewis getting multiple shots on goal and drawing extra defenders, etc

What a waste of talent.
Is this really an instruction?
Sitting behind the goals at the Geelong game I couldn’t believe the difference. Hawkins, who I know we all hate, would make 2 or 3 leads every possible inside 50 will our guys were predominantly stationary.
Thought this was why kosi was dropped to be honest

I completely agree. We just don’t have that top end talent in the middle of the ground or up forward. As I said, it’s a simple and obvious problem, but there is no quick and easy solution to it. Our list is poor

The issue is a lot of the blokes being played were found out severely last season and not good enough yet we continue with them. I know clarko is very good mates with the ceglar family but the guy is 29. For goodness sake time to move on.

Timmy O. Cops a flogging for the past 8 years on here yet we still go with him. It’s a bit like old mate Schoey. Clarko wants to prove everyone wrong I think.

Dan Howe would not be getting a game in a top 8 team so why at age 26 is he getting a game with us while we are battling. Time to move on.

if you are dead wood move on and play kids and let’s finish near the bottom for a year or two and get some early picks that might give us some hope.

Every young fella we have, Brockman, Kosi, Lewis that we are holding hope for we have picked up around number 40 and above. Do we think we are miracle workers and these late picks are going to turn into stars?

We need some quality badly injected into the side. Early picks is where it is at unfortunately.

Day has been a revelation and excited us all because he was pick 11.

Just play Greaves, Downie, Cousins, Jeka, Morris, Nash, etc.

We have absolutely nothing to gain by playing TOB, Ceglar and Howe types. They won't be here in two years time, so why play them now.

We aren't winning games. We finished bottom four last season for a reason, despite the claims that it was because of the hubs. No, it was because we are simply not good at the moment.

Clarko said we are rebuilding. So it's about time he puts his money where his mouth is and play guys that will rebuild this team, and not his old favourites.

I think we hurt more as supporters too given we've gone from the best kicking side to a team who can't hit an open target 15m away. Some will.come with time and syncing, but we need some much better distributors. But gee the boys try hard.

That is the problem. Kosi is the kpf on our list who was taken with the highest draft pick, after O’Brien. We just haven’t given ourselves much chance of landing an elite kpf except for the failed attempt to land lynch. Kosi may come good but he is a long way off. Jeka probably further behind him. Maybe Nash can come in
Logan McDonald would have been the go.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Turns 28 in July, so hopefully he has the desire to play until 35 to achieve that goal.
Jeez you can be such a flog sometimes. Do you have any good memories of this club?

Did you enjoy the 3peat? Or did you bet against us and we ruined your multis?
He tagged Guthrie last week and got pantsed... never tagged b4 seriously stop making stuff up. It was a week ago.
He tagged him did he? Full lock on tag?

You're the only one making s**t up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back