Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the game. My thoughts...
CJ - lost a few contests but showed why he will be a 200 gamer. 100% effort.
McEvoy - cooked
Ceglar - same, same
Morrison - continues to run hard. Still learning but will be ok.
Brocky - serious talent. Not quite ready but happy to play him anyway.
Moore - great offensive game. Needs to watch some Poppy highlight and improve his defensive prsssure.
Lewis - now showing enough. If he doesn’t mark it he offers very little.
TOB - horrible
Scrimshaw - poor. Needs to kick it more and handball less. Good skills but poor decision maker
Impey - great defensive game. Poor offensive game.
Hartley - did OK but being tall does not make you a key defender. Soft.
Hartigan - slow of foot. Slower of mind. Not the answer
Hardwick - Ok
Frost - goes hard but we will never be a top 4 side with a player who makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Phillips- goes hard but we will never be a top 4 side with a player who makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Howe - goes hard but we will never be a top 4 side with a player who makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Mitchell - goes hard and great player but we will never be a top 4 side If our best mid makes such bad decisions and skill errors
JOM - goes hard and a very good player but we will never be a top 4 side when our second best mid makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Worpel - hardly noticed him.
Shiels. Little impact. Just about done.
Bruest. Little impact. Not suited to playing in a poor team and possibly should have been traded. Just about done.
Wingard - did some good things but also more suited to being in a better side.

Last edited:
Is this really an instruction?
Sitting behind the goals at the Geelong game I couldn’t believe the difference. Hawkins, who I know we all hate, would make 2 or 3 leads every possible inside 50 will our guys were predominantly stationary.
Thought this was why kosi was dropped to be honest
Main reason we're missing Gunston.

We have absolutely nothing to gain by playing TOB, Ceglar and Howe types. They won't be here in two years time, so why play them now.

The reason to play those types - especially early in the season - is to protect the youth. It is a LONG season. You don't want to be Gold Coast. There are plenty of games left to blood youth.

This year is not the year we will get the youth boost up the ladder anyway - this year is about education.

The rebuild will REALY be tested in the off-season - when we actually decide what direction we want to go re getting more picks.

*I actually rate Howe.

Clarko is doing the opposite of what he said he was going to do after 2016. He said we wouldn’t sit around the middle of the ladder and be a mediocre team and that’s exactly what we’ve been for years and last 2 we’ve been rubbish and still in denial.

To be fair, we haven’t been sitting around the middle of the ladder.

Quality response. Would you like to add some more insight? I will. And I never said Worps was having a great year only that he was good today.

Here are a bunch of spuds listed below for you to feast on.

View attachment 1100179

Lots of that list are averaging 30 touches or so a game as you'd expect.

Playing TOB in week 4 of the season is not the difference between a rebuild and not a rebuild.

But some people are arguing as if it is.
These boys pro
Was at the game. My thoughts...
CJ - lost a few contests but showed why he will be a 200 gamer. 100% effort.
McEvoy - cooked
Ceglar - same, same
Morrison - continues to run hard. Still learning but will be ok.
Brocky - serious talent. Not quite ready but happy to play him anyway.
Moore - great offensive game. Needs to watch some Poppy highlight and improve his defensive prsssure.
Lewis - now showing enough. If he doesn’t mark it he offers very little.
TOB - horrible
Scrimshaw - poor. Needs to kick it more and handball less. Good skills but poor decision maker
Impey - great defensive game. Poor offensive game.
Hartley - did OK but being tall does not make you a key defender. Soft.
Hartigan - slow of foot. Slower of mind. Not the answer
Hardwick - Ok
Frost - goes hard but we will never be a top 4 side with a player who makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Phillips- goes hard but we will never be a top 4 side with a player who makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Howe - goes hard but we will never be a top 4 side with a player who makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Mitchell - goes hard and great player but we will never be a top 4 side If our best mid makes such bad decisions and skill errors
JOM - goes hard and a very good player but we will never be a top 4 side when our second best mid makes such bad decisions and skill errors
Worpel - hardly noticed him. Zero impact.
Shiels. Little impact. Just about done.
Bruest. Little impact. Not suited to playing in a poor team and possibly should have been traded. Just about done.
Wingard - did some good things but also more suited to being in a better side.
Harsh hey...

Worpel tagged Brayshaw and took him to the cleaners. Or did you not watch the game?

Aside from a couple of turnovers thought he was pretty good. Never tagged before so is adding a new element to his game.
Yeah his tagging game was solid.

Am referring to multiple turnovers at crucial stages. Seems to have gotten into his game a lot this year thus far, which has been underwhelming to say the least

Jeez you can be such a flog sometimes. Do you have any good memories of this club?

Did you enjoy the 3peat? Or did you bet against us and we ruined your multis?

He tagged him did he? Full lock on tag?

You're the only one making sh*t up.

Enjoyed the 3 peat.

Tipped us in all 4 Grand Finals, 2012 ruined a multi.

Quality response. Would you like to add some more insight? I will. And I never said Worps was having a great year only that he was good today.

Here are a bunch of spuds listed below for you to feast on.

View attachment 1100179

Over a quarter of his possessions are turnovers. That's plain terrible.

But we know how good he can be and know he's just out of form ATM. Despite his poor disposals today he took a step in the right direction by shutting down Brayshaw, that was a great job. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Last edited:
The reason to play those types - especially early in the season - is to protect the youth. It is a LONG season. You don't want to be Gold Coast. There are plenty of games left to blood youth.

This year is not the year we will get the youth boost up the ladder anyway - this year is about education.

The rebuild will REALY be tested in the off-season - when we actually decide what direction we want to go re getting more picks.

*I actually rate Howe.
We have greaves, nash, cousins who are all seasoned youth ready to develop and play in the team. You can't defend with the year is about education if they are not in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez you can be such a flog sometimes. Do you have any good memories of this club?

Did you enjoy the 3peat? Or did you bet against us and we ruined your multis?

He tagged him did he? Full lock on tag?

You're the only one making sh*t up.
Only got one word... Wow! again. Out of any other ideas, you obviously watch different football games to me and many others so I apologize to you for that, you are obviously right and we are all wrong.

We are Strapping old men and need to listen to young lads like yourself. ;)

Over the last 2 seasons the club has appointed captains who are really struggling at the end of their careers. I believe the players have a say in who is appointed. I don't really know the procedure. Anyway to appoint these players captain when maybe they shouldn't even be playing is perplexing. No other side in the competition has appointed a player captain who is probably at the end of their careers. This year we have a real problem because McEvoy is struggling to play 50% in the ruck and another ruck who seems to be going backwards. Ceglar has hardly played a decent game since he did his knee. Ideally McEvoy should be playing 75% ruck and another player pinch hitting. In the past Tim OBrien has done quite well in this role but has lost all confidence and is playing poorly. This is only one of many problems but does not help our present situation and it is something that didn't need to happen.

We have greaves, nash, cousins who are all seasoned youth ready to develop and play in the team. You can't defend with the year is about education if they are not in the team.

I will say it again - our ROUND 4 team selection IS NOT so important and so decisive for resolving all arguments and making all judgments about the direction of the club.

It is only ROUND 4.

Once we keep losing, which the club expects to happen if you hear them talk, the youth will get their games and we still won't win... and the season will be as expected.

Is this really an instruction?
Sitting behind the goals at the Geelong game I couldn’t believe the difference. Hawkins, who I know we all hate, would make 2 or 3 leads every possible inside 50 will our guys were predominantly stationary.
Thought this was why kosi was dropped to be honest
Yes.
Go back over any game of the past 5 years and our forward leads per game can be counted on one hand.

I will say it again - our ROUND 4 team selection IS NOT so important and so decisive for resolving all arguments and making all judgments about the direction of the club.

It is only ROUND 4.

Once we keep losing, which the club expects to happen if you hear them talk, the youth will get their games and we still won't win... and the season will be as expected.

I hope you're right. It didn't happen soon enough last season.

It is only ROUND 4.

Once we keep losing, which the club expect to happen if you hear them talk, the youth will get their games and we still won't win... and the season will be as expected.
That is a paradox then, because if we play the alternative players and have better team balance we are likely 2-2 or even 3-1 but by virtue of poor decision making at selection we are forced to play youth because we loose.

Surely there are people in the club with same issues that keep being brought up. Yes it is only round 4 but if it doesn’t change by round 5 then I’ll say it again, we are subversively tanking.

Over the last 2 seasons the club has appointed captains who are really struggling at the end of their careers. I believe the players have a say in who is appointed. I don't really know the procedure. Anyway to appoint these players captain when maybe they shouldn't even be playing is perplexing. No other side in the competition has appointed a player captain who is probably at the end of their careers. This year we have a real problem because McEvoy is struggling to play 50% in the ruck and another ruck who seems to be going backwards. Ceglar has hardly played a decent game since he did his knee. Ideally McEvoy should be playing 75% ruck and another player pinch hitting. In the past Tim OBrien has done quite well in this role but has lost all confidence and is playing poorly. This is only one of many problems but does not help our present situation and it is something that didn't need to happen.
A very astute look at some of the issues at our club that nobody including the club itself could explain if asked.

In simple terms we are a club that says it is trying 2 rebuild while doing everything 2 stay in the past.

4 weeks ago you could hardly say anything negative about the Hawks prospects or decision making on Big Footy without being criticised by a large faction.

I know from personal experience. '

Now the worm has turned.

I edited your post a lot to get the above quote from you (which I agree with)

Moore didn't have speed when he arrived at the club. Yet how tall is he? I couldn't believe it when I first saw Moore in a few VFL games in his first year- why did we recruit him if he isn't fast?

It is things like this that make we wonder about the recruiting by the club over recent years.

We got him at pick 67.

Carlton took Paddy Dow at 3 and Lachie O'Brien at 10 in the same draft.

We got one of the smartest players in that draft class for a late pick, to go along with a 19 year old best and fairest winner at pick 45 (Worpel).

We literally did better with picks 45 and 67 than Carlton did with 3 and 10. Let's just be thankful we aren't supporters of the navy blue.

Really frustrating loss that one. Didn't turn up until the second quarter. Then just so sloppy with our disposal all day. Lots of safe passes that didn't really do much helped keep efficiency stats up, but then terrible errors at crucial times killed us repeatedly.

At one point in the third quarter they threw up a stat that Freo had scored about 90% of their score from our turnovers (as opposed to about 50% for us). I don't think that would have changed much by the end of the game.

We went in tall and didn't dominate the air in any part of the ground. Hell, I don't think we even came out ahead in that area. Our best marks inside 50 were Brockman and Moore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back