Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

i thought he ducked into the tackle then flung his head back like he was murdered(btw if you duck into a tackle it shouldnt be a free kick), but i could be wrong.

I'm fine for Chad to do it, every week they play I watch almost every other premiere midfielder in the comp play for free kicks and I rarely if ever see Hawks do it to the same level. Jaeger never accentuates or seeks out head high contact for frees, and it's frustrating because it means he never gets them even when he receives an arm around the head.

Every other team has a bundle of players that lower themselves into tackles to get taken high, or throw themselves forward to handball seeking an ITB decision.

I'm fine for Chad to do it, every week they play I watch almost every other premiere midfielder in the comp play for free kicks and I rarely if ever see Hawks do it to the same level. Jaeger never accentuates or seeks out head high contact for frees, and it's frustrating because it means he never gets them even when he receives an arm around the head.

Every other team has a bundle of players that lower themselves into tackles to get taken high, or throw themselves forward to handball seeking an ITB decision.

im not criticising anyone, someone claimed he wasnt paid a free for a supposed head high tackle and i responded with it wasnt a head high tackle because he ducked, im not making a commentary about how players try to con the umpire, thats part of the game, not the best part, but a part non-the-less, i was talking about context to a situation where someone demanded a free when it wasnt deserved.

im not criticising anyone, someone claimed he wasnt paid a free for a supposed head high tackle and i responded with it wasnt a head high tackle because he ducked, im not making a commentary about how players try to con the umpire, thats part of the game, not the best part, but a part non-the-less, i was talking about context to a situation where someone demanded a free when it wasnt deserved.

Oh yeah he definitely milked it, I was just venting my frustrations :p

I actually thought we now know a lot more about players and what's not going to work after that game then any of the previous 3 this year. You know having played so many games so far.

I think a lot come out of it. A lot. Clarko was watching and learned more from that then the past year, imo.

Kids be kids, up and down, up and down.

Some senior players and fringe players showed that they are either to senior to get much more out off and some fringe players showed that they are just fringe players and nothing more. We know more about our list, after that game, and that's a good thing.

I actually thought we now know a lot more about players and what's not going to work after that game then any of the previous 3 this year. You know having played so many games so far.

I think a lot come out of it. A lot. Clarko was watching and learned more from that then the past year, imo.

Kids be kids, up and down, up and down.

Some senior players and fringe players showed that they are either to senior to get much more out off and some fringe players showed that they are just fringe players and nothing more. We know more about our list, after that game, and that's a good thing.
What is it you picked up from this game that you didn't know 10 days ago?

And from which players?

What is it you picked up from this game that you didn't know 10 days ago?

And from which players?
I'm not talking about me.

Think about it.

Clarko is a loyal man - every excuse under the sun was available last season (and used) - not anymore and the club only truly did the pivot this past draft, maybe the one before with height in that one and pace in this one.

What I think doesn't matter. What Clarko saw does. And I back him in to learn more from that then the previous games this year and the s**t season last year. The same with Sammy at Box Hill - after a year no box hill to see what we can see, he's the right man to see it.

Instead of looking at everything that is wrong (because that's the easy part) how was Moore standing up when no one else was up forward? You think that was noticed and put in the memory bank? Just as some of the very poor things can no longer be doubted, by a loyal man.

I can sink the boots into certain players as a nameless face on the forum but why bother, they know themselves mate, but again, it's about what Clarko and Sammy are seeing and sticking in the memory bank that matters.

I'm not talking about me.

Think about it.

Clarko is a loyal man - every excuse under the sun was available last season (and used) - not anymore and the club only truly did the pivot this past draft, maybe the one before with height in that one and pace in this one.

What I think doesn't matter. What Clarko saw does. And I back him in to learn more from that then the previous games this year and the sh*t season last year. The same with Sammy at Box Hill - after a year no box hill to see what we can see, he's the right man to see it.

Instead of looking at everything that is wrong (because that's the easy part) how was Moore standing up when no one else was up forward? You think that was noticed and put in the memory bank? Just as some of the very poor things can no longer be doubted, by a loyal man.

I can sink the boots into certain players as a nameless face on the forum but why bother, they know themselves mate, but again, it's about what Clarko and Sammy are seeing and sticking in the memory bank that matters.
🙄

Fine... I'll bite...

What do you think Clarko saw/learned that he hadn't seen/known in the previous 20-odd games?

Good/Bad - whatever. I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest believer in the forum so I'm not just looking for negatives, nor am I looking for an argument.

I'm keen to hear what you learned from this game that you didn't know; &, if you don't want to discuss that, what is it you think Clarko would've learned that he didn't previously know?

🙄

Fine... I'll bite...

What do you think Clarko saw/learned that he hadn't seen/known in the previous 20-odd games?

Good/Bad - whatever. I'm pretty sure I'm the biggest believer in the forum so I'm not just looking for negatives, nor am I looking for an argument.

I'm keen to hear what you learned from this game that you didn't know; &, if you don't want to discuss that, what is it you think Clarko would've learned that he didn't previously know?
There's nothing to bite mate and there is no argument - it is what it is, we all know that - do you (I don't mean you specifically I'm just generalizing) want a untried coach watching and learning or Clarko and Sammy - it's truly all about development now, nothing else matters. And coaches learn too, esp watching players under the pump. He has new side kicks in the coaches box he has to deal with as well - he's been here before.

You can't bring in every kid at the same time, so what happens at box hill is probably more important. Nobody thought Reeves was going to be "ready" - but finally Clarko has a genuine reason to drop a under performing ruck - did he have anybody else prior to this, since two rucks is part of his plan? It's 4 games in and he does now have that option - surely this is a good thing? It all starts at Box Hill now.

Hartley or Greeves - when you already have CJ and Scrimshaw it's a no brainier - you don't put another kid in there, you see if Scrim can take Days role for example, while putting a mature body around him for a little bit. And Clarko will cop the heat for it from supporters because that's what he does.

The same with bringing Tobby back in (who protected Moore to perfection at one point, otherwise it would have been nasty)......a new coach needing to make it look like progress will throw the kids to wolves.

He'll manage the magnets around all year to get as much talent in through the draft as possible while developing the players worth developing win lose or draw. He copped it about the team selection didn't he? Hell even I lose it with selections at times, but in the cold light of day, it is what it is.

As I said, the pivot is in a very early stage and we as supporters just have to suck it up or sook it up.

You don't learn much if you win all the time and only just by a fluky kick or with help from umpires, look at Sook Scott as an example.

We knew it was a development year, so lets let the master learn what he needs to learn and teach what he needs to teach.

He'll do it quicker then anyone else now the pivot is in for real.

You know this mate, as do most - it's times like this when all you can do is be supportive of the process that's in it's early stages. I just wish I could watch Box Hill this year, as that's where it's at, until we get more talent into the club, it's just that simple.

And just one example - Worpel didn't go near the HFF in this game as far as i could tell on TV............I'd been bitching about Worpel being played their, I can't bitch this week.

Last edited:
Just finished the third term of this one- jeez Browne is a nonce going on about the Mitchell freekick that lead to Hartely's goal.
Got caught full around the head with a bicep that was pulling him to the ground and Brown wanted the AFL to look at it for staging. I get that he was one of the toughest players going but surely he recognises that not everyone is as happy as he is to cop head knocks left right and centre.

Hartley or Greeves - when you already have CJ and Scrimshaw it's a no brainier - you don't put another kid in there, you see if Scrim can take Days role for example, while putting a mature body around him for a little bit. And Clarko will cop the heat for it from supporters because that's what he does.
I think he got it wrong in this instance, but only because we were playing Freo. But based on the theory if Burgoyne comes in then Hartley should go out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he got it wrong in this instance, but only because we were playing Freo. But based on the theory if Burgoyne comes in then Hartley should go out.
Why because we "are only playing freo"? Watch again mate, it was played with intent, esp by Freo, which taught us something about ourselves I hope. Almost every game is now played with "intent" since they are fitter, stronger, and expected to never offer weakness in the face of their paychecks.

Interstate, already have injuries to young players, yet you'd risk another young player instead of sacrificing a list clogger; if I'm to be totally disrespectful to Hartley ?

Or see if Hartley can play to help protect the kids, before offering a new contract to do only that for his entire career. It's cutthroat mate. All the way round, esp for Hartley.

Agree, burgs should come in to protect the kids, since he's being paid to play when required. What a legend to do this, knowing this, agreeing to this, for the HFC !!!!!! Just as Stratton did, Roughie did, and Pops. Legends of the HFC, but they have premiership medallions to show for it, Hartley, Tobby and Cegs never will.

But the coach got it wrong, you say.

Mate, I've been a big selection questioner at times, but not at the moment, protect the kids and let Sammy get them ready, while applauding the players who are stop gaps, but cop nothing for it from supporters but s**t, or if it isn't the player it's the coach.

We are on the right track, doesn't mean we have to agree with the week to week decisions.

Pivoting and moving Wright on will be the making of our next flag. Not getting rid of the coach and blaming him weekly for team selections we know better then.

Last edited:
Why because we "are only playing freo"? Watch again mate, it was played with intent, esp by Freo, which taught us something about ourselves I hope. Almost every game is now played with "intent" since they are fitter, stronger, and expected to never offer weakness in the face of their paychecks.

Interstate, already have injuries to young players, yet you'd risk another young player instead of sacrificing a list clogger; if I'm to be totally disrespectful to Hartley ?

Or see if Hartley can play to help protect the kids, before offering a new contract to do only that for his entire career. It's cutthroat mate. All the way round, esp for Hartley.

Agree, burgs should come in to protect the kids, since he's being paid to play when required. What a legend to do this, knowing this, agreeing to this, for the HFC !!!!!! Just as Stratton did, Roughie did, and Pops. Legends of the HFC, but they have premiership medallions to show for it, Hartley, Tobby and Cegs never will.

But the coach got it wrong, you say.

Mate, I've been a big selection questioner at times, but not at the moment, protect the kids and let Sammy get them ready, while applauding the players who are stop gaps, but cop nothing for it from supporters but sh*t, or if it isn't the player it's the coach.

We are on the right track, doesn't mean we have to agree with the week to week decisions.

Pivoting and moving Wright on will be the making of our next flag. Not getting rid of the coach and blaming him weekly for team selections we know better then.
I've not blamed him weekly (you can check my post history). I'm more than happy for Clarkson to continue.

I think that Freo is more near us on the ladder so you can risk a youngster to give them game time. In this instance I think he got it wrong. Yes I said it! He is not infallible and we are allowed to not agree with him now and then.

I've not blamed him weekly (you can check my post history). I'm more than happy for Clarkson to continue.

I think that Freo is more near us on the ladder so you can risk a youngster to give them game time. In this instance I think he got it wrong. Yes I said it! He is not infallible and we are allowed to not agree with him now and then.
Fair enough. I don't need to check your post history. I understand your point totally, because if you were to check my post history, you would see that I have questioned the very same.

Maybe it was this game that gave my faith, forever what reason, and that's why I can't explain it.

Fair enough. I don't need to check your post history. I understand your point totally, because if you were to check my post history, you would see that I have questioned the very same.

Maybe it was this game that gave my faith, forever what reason, and that's why I can't explain it.
All good. I think we are on the right track as well. Listening to Clarko on Monday also gave me that confidence.

He came across calm, hungry and confident that we are on the path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back