Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Show up in the first quarter and we win.

- No hiding two Rucks, Tob, Lewis. Howe on a wing. One midfielder short, and a couple of fwds today
-I will give you the hot tip Sicily needs to play fwd when he resumes.
-Another quality game from CJ and Moore was our best fwd.

Bruest not really setting the best example for our emerging small forwards. No second efforts.

Ceglar - I can't stand it when he blocks in the ruck contest - He puts out his hand like a `stop sign' and he wonders why he has given another free kick away each week.

Umpiring - will not be spoken about - but the non-free kicks. Freo could tackle or spoil however which way they wanted.

Moore is currently equal on goals for the season with Tom Lynch, Daniher, Membrey, De Goey, Papley and Stringer. If only we had a dominant tall forward to go along with a quality small.
Jeka has put two good games together at Box Hill now. I know we watched Jackson Ross kick 4-5 goals quite consistently without him getting a shot, but maybe Jeka comes in?

This will be unpopular but I liked Worp having a crack with that attacking kick, when they come off we always look to score, at least he spotted it and went for it. Too bad it was to three flat footed Hawks and picked out the one Docker. Yes he lacks polish, but he also monstered Brayshaw.

I agree, the decision was correct, just Didn’t hit the target and we got burnt....but....we need to pull the trigger on those types of play more. The slow turgid play we produced for large parts needs to go

CJ is a star already... CBF with the rest of the game

At the risk of being stoned, I totally disagree with this comment.

Sorry to say, CJ is now believing his own press.
Watch the replay.
Every single time he got the ball, he stopped for a long time, did nothing, then eventually kicked a backwards up and under.

There was no devil-may-care dash and bravado. Just stop and look around for a long time.

He can do it.. And will get better... But today was certainly not a highlight.

I’m sick of TOB being dropped and not doing enough at VFL level but almost always coming straight back into the side. Needs to doninate at VFL level before being brought back.

Hate the Ceglar/Big Boy combo, just isn’t working. Cousins and Nash must come in for extra run and energy, we where really flat at certain periods of the game which hurt us badly.

Hartley ain’t up to it. Kosi > O’Brien, more physical and more effective at ground level. Reeves needs to play a few games to see where he is st.

There is more to gain by playing the likes of Reeves, Jeka, Downie, Greaves, Cousins, Morris and Hanrahan (green as some of them may be). But what’s the point of playing Ceglar, Hartley, Howe, O’Trien.......and keep getting the same output.

On a positive note.....we are yet to play Norf in the Jason Horne Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caught the start of the third quarter on with high hopes, sad to see we dropped this game the way we dropped it (sounds like Q1 was atrocious?); when all the other results this weekend went in our favor.

I see the AFL site has dragged out the old 'unsociable' line, which is perhaps them being merciful because we looked pretty ordinary, but then just dropped our bundle completely in the mid-field.
Our gambles in recruiting the already fragile Scully and pre-broken Patton along with that silly experiment with the failed flop forward from Richmond seem to have really damaged us long term, and this current group look to be quite a few years off being a mid-ladder outfit. We look our age out there, young, and flakey.

For fairness, here's a big roast for Worpel trying to make the similar kick we roasted Howe for trying to pull off, with exactly the same result. Clarko says they are playing to instruction...welp, we need to change the instructions. Hahaha.

Would say most had us pegged as a bottom 4-6 side before the season started , well we play like it . So its not unexpected ( well not to me anyway)

Will see more performances like today as the season goes unfortunately , we are a tough watch but I can see some direction .

We have pretty much handed 8 points away the last few weeks with such poor starts.
Thats frustrating because we work so hard to get back into the game but dont get reward or bang for buck.

Gee that last 5 minutes of the 3rd was a killer , really thought we were going to go over the top of them.

Gunston will help several of our issues immensly .

So Ceglar – 7 disposals, 0 scoreboard impact. 4 marks (none forward of centre). 67% time on ground for 14 hitouts.
McEvoy15 disposals, 1 behind. 8 marks. 69% time on ground for 19 hitouts.

What possible justification is there for playing Ceglar? And if the issue is McEvoy can’t ruck a full game then why give him the captaincy at all?

We literally carried two passengers in Ceglar & O'Brien in our forward-line today. And there are a whole bunch of other problems (midfield skills and composure mainly) but we can't really address that because we don't have the cattle. We can stop carrying two absolute liabilities.

There is none. Ceglar is obviously not good enough. And even if he was there is probably no reason to play him as we are so slow with two lumbering rucks.

Key question - what do we get out of the season now? Hopefully;

1.Allow players who won’t cut the grade to go back to BHH and help them find their next club.

2. Bring in younger players and see how they cut it at this grade.

3. At least exit the season with a strong defensive record - this is a foundation we might build from

Moore is currently equal on goals for the season with Tom Lynch, Daniher, Membrey, De Goey, Papley and Stringer. If only we had a dominant tall forward to go along with a quality small.

Moore was on the verge of being delisted last year. That game he played against Gold Coast has saved his career. He’s having a fine season.

Round 1: 19 disposals - 3 marks - 3 tackles - 3 goals
Round 2: 14 disposals - 4 marks - 5 tackles - 1 behind
Round 3: 13 disposals - 2 marks - 1 goal - 2 behinds
Round 4: 16 disposals - 6 marks (2 contested) - 3 goals - 1 behind

Average: 16 disposals - 4 marks - 3 tackles - 1.75 goals

We need to go in the draft to get the best midfielder available or trade for one. A midfield with O'Meara, Mitchell, Worpel, Phillips, Shiels & Wingard will not scare many teams.

totally agree and think Day will end up playing as a no baller - seeing some of those young Freo on ballers they are just stars in the making something we desperately need

I agree, the decision was correct, just Didn’t hit the target and we got burnt....but....we need to pull the trigger on those types of play more. The slow turgid play we produced for large parts needs to go
If he is a skilful kick sure go for it. But for him that is a 1 in 10 kick to make

Remove this Banner Ad

Back