Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

To me, we are trying to play a different game style to last year, and despite training it all off-season - it doesnt appear to come off naturally. I honestly believe that's why we have been starting so slow - it's like we are completely overthinking it, and it takes us to settle into the game for us to get in any sort of rhythm. Once we do find that rhythm, we've been super competitive and almost won.

I think we need to be patient. It'll come in time. I expect some absolute blow outs as the year goes on, and some cracking victories. I said that after round 1. As long as we can keep rotating kids through the team and keep a strong draft hand, that's what every poster here would have wanted at the start of year.

We were (seemed) over coached last season too. This is a prevailing issue.

I think every one can abide mediocrity from unproven youth but there is a group of players who continue to be played that undeniably will not take us forward - this is the most frustrating part of selection.

Happy to take a few steps back if it means understanding the quality (or otherwise) of some of the youth on the list.
Thats what Carlton and Melbourne thought all those years ago
Play yoof
Get rid of the oldies....ooops

Freo finished 12th last season and are further advanced with their rebuild than us. Plus they are a 2-4 goals better side playing at home. They were favourites and showed yesterday. Having said that I thought we fought the game out well and had patches of domination after the first quarter.

What is clearly lacking to me is quality and consistency in the forward half of the ground. There are glimpses, with who we are trying there, but I think this should be priority number one for the club come draft and free agency at the end of the year.

How about you just delete your account now, you really offer nothing.

Settle down tough guy. You couldn't even manage to answer a very simple question yesterday. Let's see if you can today.

You've asked someone to delete their account because they were sure Fremantle won't make the 8.

So it's only fair that when you say "bookmark it" to us beating Melbourne next week you get asked the same question - will you delete your account if we don't? Yes or no.

it was frustrating because this was a game we had a good shot at winning, but in saying that i am liking the development of guys like Dylan Moore, CJ, Brockman, Morrison, Lewis and a few other blokes as well, its bittersweet because even though we lost we can see the future 200 gamers developing before our eyes and the more wins they get under their belt, the better it is for our future, but it wasnt to be yesterday.

Both were 24 years on average.

You've got to replace Burgoyne with an 18 year old at a minimum though, you can't just subtract 38 years and add nothing lol.

And Fremantle won't play finals, I'll look forward to quoting people saying they will at seasons end.

Settle down tough guy. You couldn't even manage to answer a very simple question yesterday. Let's see if you can today.

You've asked someone to delete their account because they were sure Fremantle won't make the 8.

So it's only fair that when you say "bookmark it" to us beating Melbourne next week you get asked the same question - will you delete your account if we don't? Yes or no.

No way he/ she will have the balls to take that on lol.

Yes I did answer your question after you started to harass me. Lying is a bad ploy.

You're just trolling now.

The said poster said that Freo will be lucky to win 8/9 games this year and said "you can go hold me to that". I didn't initiate stakes, the poster did.

Like I said now you're just offering dishonesty, you offer nothing. No nuance, originality or intersest. Might just have to put you on ignore like Clarko does. Cya.

Judd2Sewell just sits and laughs when they have nothing to say. I'm not here to be trolled I'm here to discuss hawthorn. If your full time job is to come here and troll, you're lost.

Yes I did answer your question after you started to harass me. Lying is a bad ploy.

You're just trolling now.

The said poster said that Freo will be lucky to win 8/9 games this year and said "you can go hold me to that". I didn't initiate stakes, the poster did.

Like I said now you're just offering dishonesty, you offer nothing. No nuance, originality or intersest. Might just have to put you on ignore like Clarko does. Cya.

You gave a disingenuous answer stating what you think "Clarko thinks," which is not an answer when I asked you for your opinion. Do you have one?

You still couldn't bring yourself to do it, which said enough.

If trolling is now asking you a question a few times because you couldn't actually answer it then I'm trolling. Mods, do your thing.

Edit: keep in mind you started it with your dumb sarcastic post, attacking me. But yes, I'm trolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are our forwards really the issue? We move the ball so slowly and with very few good users it’s pretty hard to be a forward at hawthorn as almost always have poor incoming ball combined with a well set defence.

On paper freo’s forward line was worse than ours but had a lot easier time of it.

We need a massive speed and/or skill injection in midfield / transition. It’s 2021 and we basically don’t have even one line breaker in the midfield (maybe chad but is a part timer).

Its our hesitation with ball in hand. That makes us slow. We r afraid to pull the trigger sometimes and take the game on. We dont take the first option and when we switch the team isnt in sync with what we need to do. Its all part of where we are as a side. It is a time of frustration

Are our forwards really the issue? We move the ball so slowly and with very few good users it’s pretty hard to be a forward at hawthorn as almost always have poor incoming ball combined with a well set defence.

During the threepeat years, you would never have called us a fast team.
But we recruited guys who could kick (remember all the left footers!)

That game plan still works today IF you can execute properly.
eg: Sydney.

I think our issue is still a talent thing.
I am confident with the right number of A & B graders, Clarko would have an effective gameplan for us.

Freo finished 12th last season and are further advanced with their rebuild than us. Plus they are a 2-4 goals better side playing at home. They were favourites and showed yesterday. Having said that I thought we fought the game out well and had patches of domination after the first quarter.

What is clearly lacking to me is quality and consistency in the forward half of the ground. There are glimpses, with who we are trying there, but I think this should be priority number one for the club come draft and free agency at the end of the year.

Free are definitely on the way up, and a few years ahead of us after having some very lean time themselves. No surprise they went to the draft to get elite talent (Brayshaw, Serrong etc.)

Thats what Carlton and Melbourne thought all those years ago
Play yoof
Get rid of the oldies....ooops
Getting rid of the oldies isn't necessarily a requirement - the comment was more in reference to the likes of Ceglar, O'brien, and Howe. The sample size of the body of work on each of them is significant - so let's turn them over for the likes of Jeka, Reeves and Cousins (Maguiness too when ready) and see what we have.

Getting rid of the oldies isn't necessarily a requirement - the comment was more in reference to the likes of Ceglar, O'brien, and Howe. The sample size of the body of work on each of them is significant - so let's turn them over for the likes of Jeka, Reeves and Cousins (Maguiness too when ready) and see what we have.
IMHO, I think Timmy has been told the only games he’ll get this year will be when one of the other boys need a break. By the end of the game yesterday he looked completely devoid of any confidence. Reeves isn’t quite ready yet, so if we play 2 rucks Ceglar is the man. As for Howe, I’m not sure where he fits in. He has some skills, but the deer in the headlights look always makes me nervous. However, I thought he was one of our best against the Tigers and had a solid game yesterday

Its our hesitation with ball in hand. That makes us slow. We r afraid to pull the trigger sometimes and take the game on. We dont take the first option and when we switch the team isnt in sync with what we need to do. Its all part of where we are as a side. It is a time of frustration
It’s hard to see many of the guys in our midfield ever really becoming decisive and attacking ball users - Mitchell, JOM, worpel, shiels, phillips, howe, Morrison etc - it’s personnel just as much as confidence.

And that’s before even thinking about pace and transition running. When none of your teammates can break a line it’s hard to run ahead of the contest + also knowledge that we get burnt the other way. It’s why Richmond are so effective - they have confidence in teammates will run in support + also that will cover for them defensively if they stuff up.

Nah. Mitchell and O'Meara had 66 touches between them yesterday. Both of them offload as quickly as anyone playing.

AFL stats show, from those 66 touches, there was one that was deemed to be a 'score launch'.
Ok but what of the others? Most of mitchell and omeara gives in the midfield were errant and some times under pressure. What about the others in the team. You could say the same for scrimshaw who had about 4 handballs in a row that didnt hit a target but were done without hesitation. Guess what that does. It makes u more hesitant in disposing it the next time you take the safer rather being instinctive

There is no doubt that we as a team lack skill and class. Which makes it hard to get that semblance of teamwork and team members getting that connection with other members of their team. It is also because we are learning a new way to play. Its still a work in progress. Its not going to be fixed quickly

The butchering of the ball was universal yesterday, both experienced and inexperienced players did it.

The really basic handling and kicking errors from seasoned players is unacceptable though. Too many instances yesterday to pick on just a few but its harder to have a go at a younger bloke who is making a positive error trying to take the game on when you have experienced blokes who miss 5 metre handballs or drop the ball uncontested. And then everyone just panics from that point and we as ateam, presently, panic with the best of them. Little to no composure especially from more experienced players. And that is a major issue at present.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back