Autopsy Round 4, 2021: Fremantle defeat Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as he annoys the crap out of me - it was the lateral ball movement that was also driving Brown nuts - just couldn’t get his head around why they would be doing it

Still think our midfield is the biggest problem - it’s just not functioning at all. Did we have one centre clearance that wasn’t fumbled.
Brown played at a time when you kicked long down the line to key forwards. Hasn’t worked out the game has changed. Clubs want you to kick down the line where they have numbers hence why Clarko wants us switching. It will hurt for a while but eventually we must be able to do it under pressure if we want to win a flag.

We always get killed out of the middle and think Howe should be used more in centre clearances than on a wing
Not saying we shouldn’t use Howe in the centre a bit more but yesterday was the first time we were well beaten at centre clearances. The only other game we lost the centre clearances was by one. We are much improved at stoppages this year. Not sure what happened against freo 🤷‍♂️

I was being a little OTT to generate some discussion and positivity but I basically agree with you. Of the guys around Lewis' age and experience, you have McKay, Naughton, the King brothers that have probably shown a bit more at the same stage of development. But the gap isn't that big. He has the tools to be a long term 2+ goal a game key forward. That's something to be excited about, even if people are a bit down on him due to last season. But it was short games in a crap team coming off an injury. Call it second (proper) year blues. He's come out of the blocks with 2 games better than anything he did last year and I'm quite bullish.

King bros and Naughton definitely, but McKay was drafted before he was and Lewis' form in 2018 was much better than McKay's at the same age.

I reckon he'd be performing to a far higher level in a better team.

Anyone else starting to get worried about Hartigan? He seems a big drop down from Frawley, when I was hoping he would be a slight step up.

For a huge bloke he gets out-muscled in one on ones the whole time. His leap, closing speed and turning circle are consistent with a bloke of his size.
His first instinct is the hold the forward. The umpire's seem to work this out early in the game, and as soon as the ball is kicked in his direction they look straight at him and call him on it.

He had 3 frees against, which, for a KPD is three shots at goal against.

That moment where Chad threw his head back looking for a free was pretty poor, might've cost him a vote or two!
That moment when chad threw his head back? That same moment he got what looked like a legitimate head high tackle which was ignored by the umpire despite the movement of his head? That moment?

Not saying we shouldn’t use Howe in the centre a bit more but yesterday was the first time we were well beaten at centre clearances. The only other game we lost the centre clearances was by one. We are much improved at stoppages this year. Not sure what happened against freo 🤷‍♂️
It’s what’s happens when the opposition win it (most often an easy breakaway) vs when we win it (a scrapped kick) that’s the issue. If we are playing Mitchell, JOM and worpel we need to be dominating the clearances stats as a break even in totals clearances is really a loss when looking at overall impact.

The alternative is to either put more attacking players in there (eg Breust and Wingard more ofte ) - we’d ‘lose’ more clearances but the ones we win would be far more effective or add more defensively capable players (maybe finn in time?). The option is to fast track reeves.

I really hope we start letting a solid core of our young players play together. Let them learn from the older players while they can and develop what this new generation of Hawks will look like. I've been hoping for this since 2016/17.

Obv not easy with injuries to Day and DGB, but I'd rather cheer on the baby Hawks over some battlers.

same, but Clarko and his mates love experience, even if that experience is disappointing role players.

That moment when chad threw his head back? That same moment he got what looked like a legitimate head high tackle which was ignored by the umpire despite the movement of his head? That moment?

i thought he ducked into the tackle then flung his head back like he was murdered(btw if you duck into a tackle it shouldnt be a free kick), but i could be wrong.

Well that was crap, midfield took a quarter to turn up and from there it was all too hard to peg it back.

Skills ordinary all game. Very hard to watch.

Have at it.
Unfortunately lots of football is hard to watch these days, skills are down, we are rebuilding, that idiot Cornes on TV says we're cooked its round 4! We are still learning.
Clarkson is a good coach, young fellows come out and try but the evening up of the competition is a failure, there should be no administrative evening up from the AFL, IT SHOULD BE NORMAL PROGRESSION.
TO SUGGEST THAT EVENING THE COMP so everyone wins a flag every 18 years is a nonsense.

Is that why the game has turned into a second rate from what it was, and that free kicks and umpires rule the roost. The AFL and all its drafting rules has done many bad things for the competition. ( TWO NEW CLUBS A DISASTER FOR FOOTBALL IN GENERAL)
But Hawthorn can overcome the shiny pants people who sit at AFL House and make decisions for the PAID UP public who end up spitting blood every weekend because free kicks destroyed opportunity, or gave a club a chance to kick some comeback goals, there was a fair and in fact ripper hip and shoulder from a player maybe the Melbourne game not sure but the commentators are saying on TV last night that he will get a week for it being too high. Well it wasn't too high in fact the impact made his head move sideways, but the bump hit him square on the side of his body not head!
(yes his head moved , that is simply motion from impact) Then he got up, THAT IS NOT REPORTABLE , LIKE DANGERFIELD'S WASN'T .
Does anyone out there see where the game is heading, under McGlachlan?

Our boys were indecisive, fumbled, kicked not that well, could not get the ball off the ground, and stats about inside fifties and forward attacks etc are bullsh*t they mean nothing if you can't get the pill or you can't kick straight, And you can't be happy as a player if rules ruin your game, the AFL should never ever have diluted our sport at the top level.
If you wanted to have a real top-line comp where you and your team won flags on merit they should have about 10 or 12 clubs only, we have too many, and the AFL have changed the rules to suit the mediocrity delivered by dilution
A real national competition wouldn't see what the Giants served up in 2019 GF, no COVID excuses then.
Now I have no idea if this will ever change , but I am fed up with full backs miskick short passes from kickouts or go gutlessly out to the boundary eeeeevery time nearly???, I reckon its because the instruction comes from frightened coaches that don't want the ball to come back to the opposition, when they should be saying IF YOU ARE LEARNING THEN DO THE BASICS BUT NEVER GIVE UP AND TAKE SOME BLOODY CHANCES.
I remember Hawks of old being talked about as one team that attacked from the backline.

All they do now EVERYONE is hit the boundary, that is a cop-out.

Also you'll see the statue rule fail for lower clubs, the old scrum and pack slithered it's way back in this last weekend, grubby skillLESS games at times.
We have a midfield that looks unsure , but with new kids like Jaith they have to train up their skills 7 days a week 12 months of the year, that guy could be anything, but fumbling doesn't help and lack of awareness and lacK of footy smarts doesn't work , how many times do you see all terams nowadays kicking directly to an opponent , and why is there no fast breaker if you like when a side get a brillinat set of actions going into attack then they have to twist and finesse and piddle around BECAUSE THERE IS NO ONE DOWN THERE TO TAKE THE BALL, ALL THE HALF RUNNERS ARE UP THE GROUND WHERE ARE THE REAL FIT FAST RUNNERS, INTO THE FORWARD LINE WHEN THE BALL IS IN DISPUTE , ABOUT ONE A WEEK DO YOU EVER SEE THAT IN A GAME, OPEN SPACES AND NO ONE IN THEM , THAT IS WHAT IS GOING ON A HAWTHORN, LEARN TO DO THE "TAKE THE CHANCE , AND IF YOU LOSE WHO CARES WHEN YOU ARE LEARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the only way you get anywhere close to Clarko's super sides, but we'll never see their like again.
Thats what I see in our club now, and several other clubs are the same, bad kickers bad handpassers, injury ridden too many shots on goal missed, game way to fast, less contact the better, you people know the usual things that I say, its hard to watch your lifetime love get screwed by people like money hungry AFL bosses and sycophantic "agree-ers" on Fox Footy talking up the castration of the game and their huge salaries , wow what a job.
Not one coyuragious enough to say what they think about how this sport has lost its grip, too much water added..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheesh we all know what JJ posts like. We don't know JJ's or anyone else's for that matters personal situation when we post. Why get personal? I still hope BF is for all fans?
I think it's more because JJ has been a known Essendon apologist in the past.

JoondalupJ please don’t quote me into your unhinged rants.
WHAT? dON'T BE LAZY READ IT , AND UNDERSTAND IT IT MAY NOT BE TO YOUR LIKING AND IT MAY NOT BE THAT WELL WRITTEN BUT WHAT??????????????????? Unhinged meaning, comments that are made short and sweet with no explanation. Or its a joke, maybe my age puts me out there! Who the Eff can tell?

Sheesh we all know what JJ posts like. We don't know JJ's or anyone else's for that matters personal situation when we post. Why get personal? I still hope BF is for all fans?
Identifying a wall of text with random use of full caps for what it is is hardly getting personal.

He can post what he likes, I just don’t need to be tagged into it.

The size and makeup and structure of their midfield was likely part of it, we're smaller than most, and our deficiencies have been pointed out a lot here. If we're just a few percent off in effort, the bigger, faster bodies at centre bounces can take over.

The size and makeup and structure of their midfield was likely part of it, we're smaller than most, and our deficiencies have been pointed out a lot here. If we're just a few percent off in effort, the bigger, faster bodies at centre bounces can take over.
Yeah we struggle to contain both Fyfe and Mundy. Petracca is another...

I could forgive a lot of the stuff that goes on if our first thought was to spot up a man in the middle especially with 45° kicks.

The lateral try to get the ball to the fatside seems generally more risky for less reward.

I'd say that's a game plan issue right there.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app

Y
I could forgive a lot of the stuff that goes on if our first thought was to spot up a man in the middle especially with 45° kicks.

The lateral try to get the ball to the fatside seems generally more risky for less reward.

I'd say that's a game plan issue right there.

On moto g(7) using BigFooty.com mobile app
You make a good point.

A move across the fatside is a great approach when it happens quickly/skillfully. it forces the opposition defence to move.

But when it's a LOOOOOOOPY kick, near-intercept, fumble, handball to the feet, three more little handballs and then a LOOOOOOON kick out to the other wing - we don't really gain much.

Y

You make a good point.

A move across the fatside is a great approach when it happens quickly/skillfully. it forces the opposition defence to move.

But when it's a LOOOOOOOPY kick, near-intercept, fumble, handball to the feet, three more little handballs and then a LOOOOOOON kick out to the other wing - we don't really gain much.
Teams also seem to be setting up to defend the switch against us. Even when the kick is low and flat and hits the target our player looks up and all he sees are opposition players. We aren’t quick enough to provide options on the switch.

Oppositions know we will switch and cover it, forcing us down the line or a risky quick inboard with no one leading. Scully for all his faults at least ran constantly creating space for other players to run into. There is not enough selfless offensive running from our players currently

I think it is more the consecutive centre clearances we lose when the oppo gets a run on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back