Preview Round 4, 2021: Fremantle v Hawthorn, 11 April 2021, 4.40pm AEST @ Optus Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
People wanting Cousins in, are you reading the Box Hill reports?

Because I'm not sure he's ticking the boxes for a senior recall, from what I have read.

RoughysMullet

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 8, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And what do you suggest, oh great one?
Don’t claim to have all the answers by any means but do know they we’ve seen a lot of O’Brien and Nash at senior level and they have both proven to be uninspiring..
might be worth looking at the best pieces for our rebuild and look at giving Downie or Jeka an opportunity..

Last edited:

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
People wanting Cousins in, are you reading the Box Hill reports?

Because I'm not sure he's ticking the boxes for a senior recall, from what I have read.
You are spot on not in great form but was at the end of last season similar to Greaves. It can unsettle players moving them around look at Morrison he got stuck on the outter behind Scully,Smith lost all form. Now he is given the chance he is progressing.

It's a tough one having both come in and play a role can release some dangerous offensive players in more roles.

Its very easy to sit on Jom in the guts if you are the opposition. But when you throw in Wingard like today and start rotating a Bruest, Impey, or throw a Cj off a wing for 5mins wow it really give them a few headaches and a different look.

Our typical midfield setup is to safe and stale combined with two rucks your are not covering much ground it has the opposition coaches loosing no sleep.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
cousins doesnt really play howes role anyway

it would be greaves, or maybe downie and move Morrison to the back flank
Would be reticent to put Morrison down back at this point. Given he's been learning a defensive role the last few weeks, I wonder if they'll look at Fin?

madhawksfan

Premiership Player
May 12, 2010
Canberra
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Downie a must for this one given the expanses of Optus. Greaves, Nash, Ollie and Timmy could all be possibilities.

If I was selecting the side:

Outs: Silk (managed), Howe (omitted) and Ceglar (omitted)

Ins: Downie, Greaves and Timmy

Hardwick Hartigan CJ
Scrim Frost Impey
Morrison Mitch Phillips
Bruest Kosi Wingard
Brockman Lewis Timmy
McEvoy Jaeger Shiels
Worps Greaves Moore Downie
Sub: Nash

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Hardwick - Hartigan - Frost
Impey - Scrimshaw - CJ

Big Boy - Mitchell - Wingard
Phillips - JOM - Morrison

Shiels - Kosi - Moore
Brockman - Lewis - Breust

Worpel - Downie - Greaves - Cousins/TOB as int or sub.

Nov 21, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chelsea, Detroit Pistons
OUT Howe, Burgoyne
IN Downie, Greaves

Given the low tolerance for a bad performance from TOB compared to Kosi, I'm guessing the same will happen with Downie vs Howe. Also kind of telling that Downie has taken some time off half back at Box Hill like Howe can chop out for.

Wouldn't be shocked to see TOB or even Nash in for Ceglar or Kosi but I'm guessing it won't happen.

Cousins is playing for Worpel's or Shiels' spot atm, not a wing. You can shuffle some others out to a wing but I don't think that would be done to accommodate Cousins over playing another true wing in Downie.

Last edited:

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
And we'll stay where we are.
We'll stay where we are if Tim doesn't play? Seriously, I think some people on this board know absolutely NOTHING about football. The people still singing O'Brien's praises on here, after almost a decade of mediocrity, need to go away, watch about 500 games of football, then come back and comment...

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which is precisely the circumstances of Kosi’s debut.
Yes and Kosi has struggled in his three matches. Plus he struggled against the dogs in that practice match. If he hadn’t kicked 6 v north I’m not sure anyone would be calling for his continued inclusion in the side.
Kicked 0,0,1,1 in games other than that practice match and conceded a lot of intercept marks to his opponent in the past two weeks. Got talent and we may persist with him a little longer but he has played so little footy up forward it isn’t surprising he has struggled. In fact, probably doing really well considering! But he has a lot to work on, as today showed.

We'll stay where we are if Tim doesn't play? Seriously, I think some people on this board know absolutely NOTHING about football. The people still singing O'Brien's praises on here, after almost a decade of mediocrity, need to go away, watch about 500 games of football, then come back and comment...
We'll stay where we are if we continue with 2x ruckmen & 2x KPF. Our 2x Ruckmen don't offer us ascendency in the middle & they don't do enough as forwards to warrant their selection as Fwd/Ruck.

Nobody has time for 500 games of footy so let's just use the last couple of years of HFC games as evidence that it doesn't work.

Get as worked up & facetious as you like. Doesn't change that it's dumb. Nor are you smarter for insulting people...

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
Would like to see our midfielders try to take a body on before disposing. Draw a man in and open space for the next in line.

Right now we are having too many handballs to stationary targets just shifting the pressure to another. I'm happy to cop a few extra HTB calls (we already get ****ed with them so why not more) if it would allow us some cleaner entries forward. We saw today the difference in our ability to score with Lewis getting to lead into space compared to bombing it on his head.

I don’t think the double ruck is working. We don’t seem to gain any meaningful ascendency in the ruck contests or around the ground. Ceglar has been OK this season but he had 0 marks and failed to hit the scoreboard - the latter factor remaining true for all three rounds.

I think Howe won’t be omitted but he crucified us today. The issue is no midfielder is really banging the door down at BH and share similar weaknesses (e.g. poor disposal). I’d still bring in Cousins but the cupboard is really bare.

Ins: O’Brien, Cousins
Outs: Howe, Ceglar

He kicked our first goal of the season, 51 seconds into the season.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He kicked our first goal of the season, 51 seconds into the season.

Which I will concede is true. Then he hasn't been an aerial threat forward of centre for the next ~ 16149 seconds.

I like Ceglar as player, I just think the team balance isn't quite right.

Last edited:
While Freo are one of the few sides who play 2 genuine rucks, one of McEvoy's strengths is his endurance. His ruck work has been below the standard expected of him this season though. Neither Meek nor Darcy are world beaters either.

I'm leading towards replacing a ruck with a speedy midfield. Preferably one who hasn't been programmed to kick to predetermined positions on the ground so that almost element of surprise can help us gain some territorial pressure on a young, inexperienced side. Freo are also a speedy midfield side so another quick mid is ideal for us.

Downie fits that profile of what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back