Preview Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 10th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Eagles

Votes: 82 85.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s just go straight t to autopsy thread

Looking at our list page on our website to pick a 22 we can actually field next week is tough.

B: Highmore Howard Wilkie

HB: Coffield Battle Clark

C: Billings Ross Hill

HF: Higgins King Wood

F: Kent Membrey Butler

R: Marshall Steele Crouch

INT: Bytel, Long, Webster, Carlisle

OUT: Gresham (inj), Jones (inj), McKernan, Lonie (either of these two can be the sub)

I was umm’ing and ahh‘ing over where to play Battle and it’s back. I figure Carlisle will play second ruck and can even rotate to CHB to give Battle a rest as well. This is all predicated on Marshall getting up.

Keep King further up the ground to utilise the space and create more inside 50 for our lead up targets.

All this talk of Marshall not playing is bullshite.

If he is fit he must play he is pivotal the way we play a set up man across the wing to take the relieving mark. As a genuine forward target to take heat off the others.

it is critical that he plays if he is deemed fit too. He is gonna get beaten in the centre by Nic Nat but guess what there isnt many bloody rucks in the comp that don't that monster is just on another level to the best rucks when it comes to tap work.

Doubt that Marshall will be selected. Carlisle was OK in his unusual role so its either keep McKernan or replace him with Hunter to play alongside Jake.

So Hunter, Webster, Bytel and Dunstan possible ins, Gresham, Jones McKernan and Long possible outs.

B: Webster Howard Wilkie

HB: Coffield Battle Clark

C: Billings Ross Hill

HF: Higgins King Wood

F: Kent Membrey Butler

R: Hunter Steele Crouch

INT: Bytel, McKenzie, Dunstan, Carlisle

What’s the point in playing McKernan in general?
He’s completely ineffective as a ruckman and he’s a completely ineffective footballer. He has zero physical presence. Some may argue we need his size in the contest, but he hasn’t shown that he’s been able to use that at any stage in his 12 year career so he won’t start now.
I’d sooner pick a small, and neutralise the stoppages and have dirty entry going forward if need be. There’s no point in selecting a player who’s not AFL caliber just because his height & weight fit a need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m fully expecting us to bounce back and surprise everyone with a hard fought win. I’m sticking to that nursery rhyme and no one can ruin my Easter Sunday.

Higgins to kick 6. Clark BOG with 80% time spent in the middle.

Ins: Hunter, Bytel, Highmore
Outs: McKernan, Lonie, Gresh.

That’s what will happen. Come at me.

What’s the point in playing McKernan in general?
He’s completely ineffective as a ruckman and he’s a completely ineffective footballer. He has zero physical presence. Some may argue we need his size in the contest, but he hasn’t shown that he’s been able to use that at any stage in his 12 year career so he won’t start now.
I’d sooner pick a small, and neutralise the stoppages and have dirty entry going forward if need be. There’s no point in selecting a player who’s not AFL caliber just because his height & weight fit a need
After this last game I think he will not be playing next week , after 3 games he has taken a total of 4 marks which was his strong point and is currently 3rd for clangers in the AFL.
Hopefully Marshall plays and Carlisle helps him out.

It's been an atrocious fortnight but we need to head into this game looking at it as a fresh start. What's done is done, and we can't let that dictate the way we perform moving forward.

Players need to adjust their attitudes. Coaches need to stop trying to be clever and just play players in their best position. We need to refresh everything we are doing and go back to basics. Just play man-on-man, stop guarding space and actually tackle your opponent, run, move the ball forward whenever possible, have forward running at the ball instead of standing still and take the bloody shot at goal yourself instead of shirking the responsibility to someone else.

We are missing too many players to drop half the side to "make a statement" by essentially playing as Sandringham instead. Just pick the best 22 on paper.

FB: Webster Howard Wilkie
HB: Coffield Carlisle Sinclair
C: Hill Steele Jones
HF: Higgins Membrey Billings
FF: Butler King Battle
R: Marshall Crouch Clark
I/C: Ross, Bytel, Long, Lonie
Sub: Dunstan

We've seen this group play very good football so we know they are capable of it. Time to show it this week.

It's been an atrocious fortnight but we need to head into this game looking at it as a fresh start. What's done is done, and we can't let that dictate the way we perform moving forward.

Players need to adjust their attitudes. Coaches need to stop trying to be clever and just play players in their best position. We need to refresh everything we are doing and go back to basics. Just play man-on-man, stop guarding space and actually tackle your opponent, run, move the ball forward whenever possible, have forward running at the ball instead of standing still and take the bloody shot at goal yourself instead of shirking the responsibility to someone else.

We are missing too many players to drop half the side to "make a statement" by essentially playing as Sandringham instead. Just pick the best 22 on paper.

FB: Webster Howard Wilkie
HB: Coffield Carlisle Sinclair
C: Hill Steele Jones
HF: Higgins Membrey Billings
FF: Butler King Battle
R: Marshall Crouch Clark
I/C: Ross, Bytel, Long, Lonie
Sub: Dunstan

We've seen this group play very good football so we know they are capable of it. Time to show it this week.

Agree. Guys can't redeem themselves playing at Sandy. I'd be very surprised if we don't take it up to West Coast. I'm not expecting a win but if the Eagles come over thinking the points are already in the bank then we all know how that usually plays out.

To all the doomsayers I say ask yourself how you would be feeling about this game if we had won by a comfortable 4 or 5 goals against Essendon as most of us expected and most neutral tipsters predicted. We'd field pretty much the same team next week against the Eagles and a lot of us would be bullish about our chances. As dismal (pathetic) as we were against Essendon players don't lose their ability to play overnight.

If you thought we were good enough a couple of weeks ago then stick fat a while longer. I've seen this scenario play out many, many times before. Where the Saints are concerned nothing surprises me.

Maybe i'm just deluded by my expectations seem to be greater than most.

I expect us to bring massive intent and pressure because we just have to. We need to be right in this game.

I mean I expected a response yesterday as well.

Don't really believe in the idea of dropping Hill.

I dont think you can say he isn't trying hard enough, he continually tries to take it on, perhaps too much against Melbourne.

You can't say he butchered it, he literally went at 100% efficiency.

Heard some great words from Ross before on Triple M, basically saying Brads a positive upbeat guy and that's how hes best off being kept, not someone to give a rocket too, basic man management.

fu** them give it to us. We need it.

Reminds me of that Bill Hicks line where he's off his chops on 'shrooms and is pulled over by the cops and the car starts speaking: "The door is a-jar."

"The door is A JAR!?....man, we thought about that for hours."

As long as the trip lasts longer than the hell coming our way as supporters, I'm willing to take the ride 🌈🍄

Round 4 team:

B. Battle Howard Kent

H.B. Jones (INJ)??? Carlisle Webster

C. Billings Bytel Coffield

H.F. Butler King Wood

F. Higgins Membrey Wilkie

Foll. Marshall Steele Crouch

Inter. Clark, Dunstan, Lonie, Ross

And we've done it twice, that I can remember, in playing Guerra & Hind, as forward's who end up backmen at other clubs. Give Kent a decent try there, I say. And Dunstan is only in, to go & whack some bugger's, not necessarily to get posession's. And he actually controlled a half-back, in his junior days with a penetrating kick out. Worth a try? just abit slow though. And you could argue with Battle in a the backline, but he did have his best season there. Try Wilkie in a forward pocket, why not? at the moment. And in 1 to 2 years, we may? have MCasey to replace Carlisle & Ben King to replace Ryder or Wood.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back