Preview Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 10th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Eagles

Votes: 82 85.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Sounds like we have been extremely careful with Marshall waiting until last week to give him his first run.

So I'm not nervous he's going to re injure his foot, but he may well be under done.

It's a shame that Ryder isn't playing as well as we could ease Marshall back in with a part time ruck/part time forward role. We could still do that but that would mean someone like Carlisle or Battle going in the ruck, assuming McKernan isn't playing.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
It's a shame that Ryder isn't playing as well as we could ease Marshall back in with a part time ruck/part time forward role. We could still do that but that would mean someone like Carlisle or Battle going in the ruck, assuming McKernan isn't playing.
I reckon Marshall plays mainly forward.

Moorabbin Ghost

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2015
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
After a terrible week for the club it’s great to see that Dan Hannebery is the healthiest he’s been since arriving at Moorabbin 2 and a half years ago.
The only injury issues he currently has are a torn right calf, a torn left calf, hamstring tendon awareness, floating bone in his wrist, hole in the roof of mouth, dislocated spine, ruptured testicle and a particularly nasty case of gonorrhoea.
His leadership in the physio’s room has been worth every bit of $800K per annum though.
1-2 weeks.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester City, AIK, Raiders
It was along the lines of our group is still fairly immature and would have heard all preseason about how the game was going to open up and be an attacking game. Think they've heard those things and have gone full out on attacking know we should be good at it and just forgotten everything about defence. Suggests we are anticipating that everything will go perfectly so we are already running to the best offensive position but no one is staying back actually defending. We are being good old fashion down hill skiers.

Thinks we can quickly turn it around though and compared us to Brisbane in 2019 who won their first few then lost to Essendon and Collingwood by 47 and 62 points but then fixed by some defensive flaws and finished the season well.
Yep, he also mentioned the 2010 Hawks being 1-6 because they hadn’t evolved their game plan with competition: fixed it and won their next 7 or something along those lines.

I don’t usually enjoy Jordan Lewis much but he was pretty good last night on our situation.

Roughy didn’t really give away much and was a bit cryptic: said at the start they don’t really know why the slump is happening, then alluded to the shorter quarters..... I think he was trying to say something without saying something and playing cards close to his chest.

Jun 21, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
After a terrible week for the club it’s great to see that Dan Hannebery is the healthiest he’s been since arriving at Moorabbin 2 and a half years ago.
The only injury issues he currently has are a torn right calf, a torn left calf, hamstring tendon awareness, floating bone in his wrist, hole in the roof of mouth, dislocated spine, ruptured testicle and a particularly nasty case of gonorrhoea.
His leadership in the physio’s room has been worth every bit of $800K per annum though.
1-2 weeks.

At least we didn't miss out on Treloar (who wanted to come) because we didn't have any cap space...

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, he also mentioned the 2010 Hawks being 1-6 because they hadn’t evolved their game plan with competition: fixed it and won their next 7 or something along those lines.

I don’t usually enjoy Jordan Lewis much but he was pretty good last night on our situation.

Roughy didn’t really give away much and was a bit cryptic: said at the start they don’t really know why the slump is happening, then alluded to the shorter quarters..... I think he was trying to say something without saying something and playing cards close to his chest.

I hope Roughy was just talking crap to deflect attention because what you're saying he said is very concerning!

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I have felt for a while that we struggle with teams that move the football by foot using short kicks.

We get picked apart, whereas we have play well against sides that handball or bomb the football.

It takes our pressure out of the game and makes zone defence worthless.

Unfortunately the new rules have made it easier to do this and we have not adjusted.

So for me we need to start winning the contest , and controlling the game and play man on man and get rid of zone defence.

And above all else turn up and actually have a crack.
I reckon Sydney’s short kicking game plan where they exploit angles to get through zones is a winner: just think it will take us or any team a lot of practice and training until it can be implemented.

First time I saw it work for Sydney was when they played GWS late last season in Perth and destroyed them with their kicking.

They’ve taken it up another level this year after bringing on Don Pyke.

Interesting thing about Pyke; we didn’t beat the Crows once when he was there. Richo was his bunny: their ball movement sliced us up every single time. It was incredibly frustrating how our “pressure” never laid a glove on them.

The way Pyke’s Adelaide played would be perfect with the new rules. Not surprising to see the Crows, who still have a fair few playing from that good Pyke team, have started so well this year. Their kicking and ball movement looks a long way ahead of teams like ours and others who have struggled to adapt.

Honestly, it reeks of desperation that we are praying Marshall’s return from injury and a total of 3 quarters of football in 6 weeks will change our fortune.

If he does perform well and we win. He is our best player. Bar none. But he would have to have a special game for that to happen.

Regardless of how fit he is he will do better in the role than either Hunter or McKernan would.

And I think that’s all that matters right now.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I reckon Sydney’s short kicking game plan where they exploit angles to get through zones is a winner: just think it will take us or any team a lot of practice and training until it can be implemented.

First time I saw it work for Sydney was when they played GWS late last season in Perth and destroyed them with their kicking.

Interesting thing about Pyke; we didn’t beat the Crows once when he was there. Richo was his bunny: their ball movement sliced us up every single time. It was incredibly frustrating how our “pressure” never laid a glove on them.

The way Pyke’s Adelaide played would be perfect with the new rules. Not surprising to see the Crows, who still have a fair few playing from that good Pyke team, have started so well this year. Their kicking and ball movement looks a long way ahead of teams like ours and others who have struggled to adapt.

It's quite depressing to think that teams like Sydney and Adelaide who were tipped to finish bottom 6 have better kicking skills and better ball movement than us, even Essendon who some tipped for the spoon carved us up with their better ball use.

It's quite damning on our coaching and recruitment that our kicking skills are still well below the level required to be a successful team, one of the few players we recruited who has good kicking skills in Hannebery can't even get on the park.

Honestly, it reeks of desperation that we are praying Marshall’s return from injury and a total of 3 quarters of football in 6 weeks will change our fortune.

If he does perform well and we win. He is our best player. Bar none. But he would have to have a special game for that to happen.

If we win it's because every player plays to capacity because they have been given a kick up the arse. Marshall will have to play well also but it's not going to be won by him alone.

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda

Not sure why Battle isn’t being given a run in the ruck.

We keep hearing about his exceptional fitness and work-rate and he sure isn’t getting a kick on the wing at the moment.

Concede the 25-30 ruck knocks in the middle of the ground, let him run his opponent ragged into the forward line and/or float a kick behind the play to utilise his great dukeage skills.

Adelaide have been good at the holding possession/ good ball movement game for a long time now. It's funny how some elements seem to follow clubs through multiple coaches. I guess the new guys build on what is working with their current list.

It's quite depressing to think that teams like Sydney and Adelaide who were tipped to finish bottom 6 have better kicking skills and better ball movement than us, even Essendon who some tipped for the spoon carved us up with their better ball use.

It's quite damning on our coaching and recruitment that our kicking skills are still well below the level required to be a successful team, one of the few players we recruited who has good kicking skills in Hannebery can't even get on the park.

Essendon have a good list when it's all up and rolling. They have had bad injury luck and an outmoded coach for along time. Their list doesn't actually read too badly. It was a shock that so many were out and their youth brigade played so well though. Guys like Mc Grath, Parish and Neckbeard all seem to have stepped up a notch and Ridley is a star. If they could get a full team on the park they'd actually be a fairly competitive outfit.

Sep 27, 2012
Behind You
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns

To be fair 2 years ago if you asked for the best kick in the comp it was Brad Hill and we got him in.
Billings, Sinclair, Coff, Battle all are good by foot.

I actually think it is more about the way we structure up and whether we have players hitting up at the ball in space.
I havent been at the ground but on the tv a lot of our kicking is either chip kicks to stationary targets, kicking over someone's head for them to run on, or landing it in a pack.

Sydney and Adelaide seem to hit up targets that are moving towards them or are at least out in space.

Anyone who thinks that not having Bruce to split contests against Melbourne (who took alot of intercept marks) and also this weekend against West Coast is kidding themselves. King is getting two bodies blocking him from the contest while the oppos spare back takes an uncontested mark.

He absolutely had limitations but as a big pack forward he was always there to split a contest. Right now none of of forwards are doing that, even Membs (mostly because hes on his bike on the wing trying to help out our backs).
FMD Bruce couldn't split a pack of cards. has the game sense of a headless chook.

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
To be fair 2 years ago if you asked for the best kick in the comp it was Brad Hill and we got him in.
Billings, Sinclair, Coff, Battle all are good by foot.

I actually think it is more about the way we structure up and whether we have players hitting up at the ball in space.
I havent been at the ground but on the tv a lot of our kicking is either chip kicks to stationary targets, kicking over someone's head for them to run on, or landing it in a pack.

Sydney and Adelaide seem to hit up targets that are moving towards them or are at least out in space.
Our side now has a team who are pretty good users of the football , however the last few games you wouldn't think so.

Sep 17, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Not sure that’s how it works.
You’re a Leeds fan aren’t you... would think you’re exactly one who’d understand it as you’ve witnessed a tactician like Bielsa at work, the way your players have responded to him, vs the alternative.

If Bielsa says “trust fully in our system, work hard and you will get reward” and, after 6 months the players are finding they aren’t getting results and/or getting the ball back like Bielsa says, their work rate will drop off as they aren’t seeing any results.

Our game plan has been wonky since Geelong last year. There are blokes like Butler who aren’t getting rewarded for months now. Their coach is still telling them to work hard, they are trying, but without getting any results for their work they are dropping off.

If tactics get a tweak so our blokes get rewarded for their running and effort finally, and aren’t chasing tail all day, we can improve. One feeds off the other.

If it was as simple as just yelling at blokes to work harder and they did, you’d just hire a drill sergeant from the army and a loud speaker at training and match days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back