Preview Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 10th April, 4:35PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Eagles

Votes: 82 85.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Would love to still have this man around :hearteyes:

View attachment 1097493

Had a cheeky 21 touches, 28 hitouts, a goal and 2 brownlow votes this game, against one T. Hickey.

Blake, Gwilt, Fisher and Gilbert was a hell of a backline, throw in Stevie Baker to take the small forwards.

I wish we had that backline now.

Baker would make Liam Ryan earn every kick,

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thing is if he stayed with us he would be behind Marshall as an ‘around the ground’ ruck.

He isn’t going to be a better rap ruckman than Ryder.

So he was as well leaving. If he is in our team now and we have everyone fit then he doesn’t make us any better.

Quite true...also worth considering that being under & training with the likes of Nic Nat made him better equipped to play his role better...he wouldn't have done that with us, not with the likes of plodders such as Pierce and Longer. Our standards were not high during his years with us.

puppy_dog7

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Watching the Swans vs Bombers, we gotta get Battle, Members and King leading a hell of lot.
Yep, agree. Would love to see at least 2 of them stay deep at a time with Marshall and the other of those 3 pushing high up the ground to provide targets coming out of Defense. The smaller players in Lonie, Buts and Higgins should still be presenting at the ball for the short 15-20m hit ups but are ready to wheel and go if we go long to whoever our deep KPF’s are.
I’m sure the forwards would love the option to stay deeper towards goal.

lets keep it simple

FQFjt

Club Legend
Sep 11, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
No Shuey and RoMa in - assuming we show up, I'd say the midfield will be fairly even. However I just don't see any way around WCE's big boy forwards. Wish we had two Battles - one to help out down back and one to help King and/or Membrey get off the chain.

You can compensate for this if everything else goes well.

Essendon almost dealt with Buddy Franklin, Logan McDonald and Sam Reid with Aaron Francis, Zerk-Thatcher and Ridley (none of whom are taller than 195cm).

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
They should replay this video of the Riewoldt mark to our players to show the commitment needed to wear the St Kilda jumper.

We miss Riewoldt as captain, he set the standard in terms of workrate, every game he worked himself to a standstill, every game was like a final.

Geary is like that too which is why he inherited the captaincy.

Steele works hard like them but he needs to start yelling at other players to lift their workrate like Riewoldt and Geary did, he's a bit too quiet.

Roughy even said we are too quiet out there and the loud crowd noise drowns us out, we need vocal leaders.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
They should replay this video of the Riewoldt mark to our players to show the commitment needed to wear the St Kilda jumper.

We miss Riewoldt as captain, he set the standard in terms of workrate, every game he worked himself to a standstill, every game was like a final.

Geary is like that too which is why he inherited the captaincy.

Steele works hard like them but he needs to start yelling at other players to lift their workrate like Riewoldt and Geary did, he's a bit too quiet out there.

good point about ManOf. He is quiet. Needs to do some good old fashioned BJ finger pointing.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
If we’d kept Hickey, Rowan Marshall almost certainly wouldn’t have had his big breakout year (which only came about because he was our only remaining ruck option, in the year after Hickey left), meaning he’d probably be another Josh Battle, playing nowhere near his potential.

It would also mean that we almost certainly wouldn’t have gotten Paddy Ryder. Without whom we most likely wouldn’t have made finals last year, and certainly wouldn’t have won one (given that he was BOG in the one we did win).

So for those wishing we still had him, just remember the price still having him would be. Roma likely nowhere near as good as he now is, and Paddy not at our club and we probably don’t play finals last year, let alone win one.

As for Bruce, he spudded it up at almost never before seen levels last year, so if he’d stayed he most likely wouldn’t have even gotten a regular game with us (and if he did, he almost certainly would have kept Battle out of the team, leading Battle to presumably request a trade at the end of that year), and Bruce was due to come out of contract at the end of last year, so if he had spent most of the year out of the team- due to his epic spuddery- he most likely would have been the one to request a trade, and we wouldn’t have him this year anyway.

And we definitely would have gotten much less for him in a trade than we did at the end of the previous year. He would have gone for a packet of stale chips. As it was, we got Jones with the pick we got for Bruce, and Jones had a much much better year last year than Bruce did.

Imagine our midfield last year with Hanners and Gresh missing most of the year and no Jones, with Bruce either spudding it up in the forwardline, or playing in scratch matches?

No finals.

As for Hind, I was a fan of his, but he was given plenty of opportunity to cement his spot in the team, but repeatedly failed to do so, and there would have been a bunch of guys in front of him for a spot on the HBF (if we were at or near full strength), so that’s just the sort of thing that happens once you become a good team, with lots of competition for spots. Some guys will look for more opportunity elsewhere.

We’ve benefited from a bunch of guys like this over the years, so it’s just swings and roundabouts.

Build a bridge and get over it!

We are where we are. It’s not the end of the world.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
good point about ManOf. He is quiet. Needs to do some good old fashioned BJ finger pointing.

Both Rooey and BJ didn't mind yelling at teammates, BJ copped a few 50s for yelling at umpires, I loved seeing it as it showed they cared.

We could sure do with them now.

Most of our current players wouldn't disturb a library, they are way too quiet.

What a sad woe-is-me-fest.

It’s like a competition to see who can feel sorry for themselves the hardest.

* off bitches I win that one hands down. My pity party is an event, Painapolooza. It’s the Glastonbury of gloom. The other *ers are just pretenders.

If we’d kept Hickey, Rowan Marshall almost certainly wouldn’t have had his big breakout year (which only came about because he was our only remaining ruck option, in the year after Hickey left), meaning he’d probably be another Josh Battle, playing nowhere near his potential.

It would also mean that we almost certainly wouldn’t have gotten Paddy Ryder. Without whom we most likely wouldn’t have made finals last year, and certainly wouldn’t have won one (given that he was BOG in the one we did win).

So for those wishing we still had him, just remember the price still having him would be. Roma likely nowhere near as good as he now is, and Paddy not at our club and we probably don’t play finals last year, let alone win one.

As for Bruce, he spudded it up at almost never before seen levels last year, so if he’d stayed he most likely wouldn’t have even gotten a regular game with us (and if he did, he almost certainly would have kept Battle out of the team, leading Battle to presumably request a trade at the end of that year), and Bruce was due to come out of contract at the end of last year, so if he had spent most of the year out of the team- due to his epic spuddery- he most likely would have been the one to request a trade, and we wouldn’t have him this year anyway.

And we definitely would have gotten much less for him in a trade than we did at the end of the previous year. He would have gone for a packet of stale chips. As it was, we got Jones with the pick we got for Bruce, and Jones had a much much better year last year than Bruce did.

Imagine our midfield last year with Hanners and Gresh missing most of the year and no Jones, with Bruce either spudding it up in the forwardline, or playing in scratch matches?

No finals.

As for Hind, I was a fan of his, but he was given plenty of opportunity to cement his spot in the team, but repeatedly failed to do so, and there would have been a bunch of guys in front of him for a spot on the HBF (if we were at or near full strength), so that’s just the sort of thing that happens once you become a good team, with lots of competition for spots. Some guys will look for more opportunity elsewhere.

We’ve benefited from a bunch of guys like this over the years, so it’s just swings and roundabouts.

Build a bridge and get over it!

We are where we are. It’s not the end of the world.
Give me a premiership and I’ll gladly pretend to be happy.

LiterallyNobody

Cancelled due to poster being a Campaigner
30k Posts 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Harry Potter Fan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Shiny Penny
Jul 26, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
I wish you positive people would stop making me believe were a chance this weekend. I was happier when I was comfortable with us losing. I don’t want the false hope. This is torture!!!

Jun 17, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yep, agree. Would love to see at least 2 of them stay deep at a time with Marshall and the other of those 3 pushing high up the ground to provide targets coming out of Defense. The smaller players in Lonie, Buts and Higgins should still be presenting at the ball for the short 15-20m hit ups but are ready to wheel and go if we go long to whoever our deep KPF’s are.
I’m sure the forwards would love the option to stay deeper towards goal.

lets keep it simple

Simple, efficient, clean and direct...that seems to be the way to go. In one way it is great to see footy players with actual footy skills being able to show their wares. Unfortunately for us, we don't have that many good users...guys like Billings, Hill, Sinc's should be thriving in these new conditions...it's a pity - with small exception to Billings - that they're not.

a few ppl wishing for Hickey back, just as s**t as Longer was, just in different areas.

Hickey's doing the exact same thing at Sydney as he was at StKilda, with the exact same lazy efforts and keen ball watching.
has to of done some of the dumbest things I've seen on an AFL field.

I'd rather Steele throw Lonie up at ruck contests than have Hickey back.

Honestly think we win this game. Boys will be keen to make amends of how embarrassing we have been the last 2 weeks. We are no where near as bad as our performances have suggested. Eagles in Melbourne aren’t close to what they are in Perth. They are going to fly over thinking they will head back over the Nullarbor with a cruisey 4 points. I think we will have a fair bit to say about that.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I did. Go back and read my posts.
So you are unhappy we got Ryder. I wanted to keep hickey as well but in hindsight I’m glad he left. Bruce is the one I also wanted to keep and in hindsight we should have. Ryder or hickey? Ryder for me unless we just forget last year because some only have memory for about a week in footy.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
But what if isnt game plan. Why look for the slow fix instead of hopefully the quick fix.
Any sort of fix would do Plugger - the coaches were aware of the upcoming rule changes in November last year - no evidence yet that our lot are aware of them.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Any sort of fix would do Plugger - the coaches were aware of the upcoming rule changes in November last year - no evidence yet that our lot are aware of them.
So after round one did you comment our plan isn’t going well? If it’s game plan and as at least one poster suggested the players have given up because it’s so poor then why will we even score this week. Know idea if you were at the game last week but there is no hope of knowing even slightly what the game plan is with the lack of effort. I’m doubting Lack of effort is part of the game plan. What is funny is some have said playing king deep is out school then you hear others say we need a deep forward with the new rules. Let’s face it we could find fault with anything done when we lose.

So you are unhappy we got Ryder. I wanted to keep hickey as well but in hindsight I’m glad he left. Bruce is the one I also wanted to keep and in hindsight we should have. Ryder or hickey? Ryder for me unless we just forget last year because some only have memory for about a week in footy.

Ryder was great last year and a big reason we played finals but realistically was only a short term fix. We are now in a position where we need to get another quality ruck and the lazy mids are used to being spoon fed. I'm not convinced we have built the squad that wins our next premiership.

Also hurts that we bought high and sold low and to get another ruck we will have to buy high again. Like giving away Hind who looks as good as Saad for zero last year our list management is still a bit amateur at times.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
So after round one did you comment our plan isn’t going well? If it’s game plan and as at least one poster suggested the players have given up because it’s so poor then why will we even score this week. Know idea if you were at the game last week but there is no hope of knowing even slightly what the game plan is with the lack of effort. I’m doubting Lack of effort is part of the game plan. What is funny is some have said playing king deep is out school then you hear others say we need a deep forward with the new rules. Let’s face it we could find fault with anything done when we lose.
Ahhh - minor issue - the first game was a wet and slippery aware where kicking the ball of the ground was considered classy football. The last two games we have been destroyed by quick ball movement.

You should read this - it sums up how the rule changes have affected the game and its clear watching our last two games, our coaches have been slow to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back