Game Day Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
5iOo2W0.png

Lets hope it's a good day.

St Kilda V West Coast Preview

After the shemozzle that was last Saturday afternoon, i have no doubt the boys in the red, white and black will be looking to atone for what has been an atrocious past fortnight. Club leaders Jack Steele and Tim Membrey can hold their heads high at the moment, but it falls away sharply after that.

The Eagles are the kings of the west, there is no disputing that this year. But they can also be jokers of the east at times. Blessed with arguably the deepest list in the AFL, the eagles have the ability to chop and change almost like for like all the way down.

Running a 4 tall timber forward line will put most defensive lines under pressure and their mids using pin point accuracy to deliver to the leading forwards. If the ball is missed, the the smalls of the calibre of Liam Ryan can feed off the crumbs and get the biscuits.
Will also need to be wary of the high ball set on top of the defenders heads as "Leapin" Liam Ryan can also fly with the best of them.
The best way to stop their forwards is to nullify their midfield, however that is easier said than done with the likes of Dom Sheed, Andrew Gaff and Tim Kelly all rolling through time after time who have proven even on the biggest stages that they can hit targets at will. Not to mention the mercurial NicNat palming the ball to them at will from 15 feet high.
Saints will need pressure and lots of it. Our pressure kept us in the game against Melbourne, rating at elite for most of the game. This was a major reason why they kicked 19 behinds shooting from difficult angles.
Kill the mids and you will kill the forwards. Then there is the defence.

Our forwards willl need to be on the move, constantly. They will be needing to create space for Maxxy, Timmy and Battle to ruin into to get a lace out mark dead in front. One forward out, the rest leading their players away from the corridors. The best way to beat the saints is to defend deep, waiting for the long high ball onto the forwards heads with the smalls at their feet. This will work to West coasts advantage with the marking prowess of Barrass, McGovern and NicNat floating through.

We are going to have to hunt through the midfield in packs, getting the ball out to the elite users of the pill in Steele, Hill, Billings IN SPACE. This will need to be achieved with gut running, great body work and high pressure on the West Coast mids. Seb Ross can be made accountable for Tim Kelly. He has had this role in the past on other players and used it to great affect.

A week is a long time in football and the fire should be stoked and well and truly burning after the spotlight has been shone on them all week. Will this help? Can we beat them? of course.
This team has shown time on time that we can match it with the big boys. We have the talent and we have the ability, we just seem to be lacking the confidence. I have no doubt that the boys will be out for blood and have always been better as the underdog. So to all the little Saintermaniacs out there, Its time to let the SainterMania run wild, brother. Because whatchya gunna do brother, when that Saintermania runs wild on you!!

Last edited:
Saints by plenty
Get on the beers

One thing that will is interesting is that the Eagles took over two emergencies, one is ruckman Vardy and the other is a debutant Winder. So their sub will either be a debut or a ruckman, unless they're a chance of a late change.

I think it's important that the fans try to get behind the team today. I know it's hard watching losses like last week, but we need to try to remain positive and give the players our support.

Just feel like we are on the verge of turning on our own, which doesn't help anyone especially considering how low on confidence many of them look.

At the start of the week I didn't give us a prayer, but the Eagles have a few injuries and if we can get on top in midfield we can win. Marshall back is a big positive, finally we won't be playing a man down at stoppages.

Confidence is key. We need to re-discover the confidence. It's nice seeing Carlisle in the side as it gives us another option to man their talls.

Howard > Kennedy
Carlisle > Allen (follow into the ruck also)
Wilkie > Darling
Webster > Ryan
Brander and Waterman the x-factors here, with Coffield and DMac having their hands full.

Ross > Kelly
Assume Redden/Duggan will play accountable
I would also like to see Billings > Gaff in transition. Any warm body next to Gaff will work against him.

Barrass > King
Battle > McGovern and make him accountable / spoil at all costs
Sheppard > Membrey and lose him up the ground in transition
Need a plan for Hurn also.

Centre Bounce Stoppage
Hurns Kick Ins

Two most likely avenues to goal.

We must have a strategy in place, whilst also taking away the short kick which have absolutely torched us the last two weeks. Midfield must be on defensively which is why it's so good to see our best two-way mid getting a full game. Bytel.

Don't care about result. Care about application and attitude.

Changed my mind & jumping back on the Saints bandwagon here, if it hadn’t been a couple of misdemeanours by Long & Clark in the last1/4 last week whilst we were on the attack, we very well could be sitting 2 & 1.
Discipline & endeavour to be high this week with Saints winning in a canter by 23pts, take it to the bank.

Changed my mind & jumping back on the Saints bandwagon here, if it hadn’t been a couple of misdemeanours by Long & Clark last week whilst we were on the attack, we very well could be sitting 2 & 1.
Discipline & endeavour to be high this week with Saints winning in a canter by 23pts, take it to the bank.
Must have been bad misdemeanours they cost 80 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who knows what will happen!!

Nic Nat winning hitouts but not doing much around the ground (3 marks and no goals in three games!!!) Unfortunate that Marshall has had a limited preparation.

If we can halve the clearances and if a few other things go right, we might actually be a chance . First 10 minutes will be so so important.

Much talk about Liam Ryan - guess that happens when you take speccies but outputs matter just as much.

Darragh Joyce for medical sub.

Just win by any means possible. Danny Mac should take out three players using his wrecking ball technique. Butler and Lonie to maul Nic Nat like a pair of terriers on a rabbit until he wants to be subbed off to get his skin grafted back on. Get Snags to use his beer fridge physique to tunnel Ryan and ground him. Get Hill to tag his seagull mate Gaff so that they nullify each other. And Marshall to play like a god who's delicate touch on the ball sends the score board into spasms and clocks us extra points. Do what ever it takes to win some pride back. Saints by 6 points.

I just hope the effort is there after last week so it's a game worth watching.

I'd also like to see us use those 45 degree kicks to get the ball to the fat side going forward so we can put it out to a bit of space in front of our big men and not bombing it long.

Crouch, Steele and Clark on the ball to start please. Not Higgins etc.

Hopefully we see Battle back. Bit worried about our backline more than anything.

I reckon a lot of you followed Dan’s advice (and Mowman) and got on the beers. Reading some very very funny posts here.

This one takes the cake though
Plugger Crouch to kick 11 snags, Dan ‘Juddy’ Butler with 12 clearances and 40 touches, Darling & Kennedy kick a combined 2.7.

Saints juggernaut back on rails.
“Plugger Crouch” might be the funniest thing I’ve ever read on this forum.

:tearsofjoy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back