Autopsy Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Battle was solid for us down back but needs to work on a few things.

Not surprising considering he would have trained with the forwards all pre season.

Looks like he just to get better positioning and body work. I'm sure that will come with time.
He prefers forward.

Not only does Bytel get some really good numbers for someone that inexperienced, but he does one or more things each week that just make you go “ooohh, he’s got something about him the boy”. He’s got moves and tricks and he clearly reads the ball off the ruck contests better than almost anyone and has terrific hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Bytel

Was a disposal, clearance, contested ball and tackling pig in the juniors and looks every bit like he could be that at AFL level as well.

Is a Steele clone minus the contested marking ability.
Also minus the self doubt that plagued Steele early days.

A total alpha dog..

It felt like chook lotto last night when a number of times Jones and Ross were handballing to each other on the back flank...

“Here you take the kick, otherwise I’m just going to turn it over or kick it out on the full.”

“Okay, hold my beer.”
I only remember Jones doing one bad kick for the night (watching it both at the ground and the replay since) and his numbers would reflect that.

Went at an exceptional 88% DE (extremely rare for someone playing in the guts) and had just 3 turnovers, from 26 touches.

Seb on the other hand went at 50% DE and had 6 turnovers, from his 20 touches.

His kicking will never be great or consistent, but that’s also the case for a number of the best mids in the comp in recent times.

Bytel a chance for the Rising star nom this week
Bytel has the look of the next Jack Steele to me. I reckon he's best 22 now and should be in every week. I know some think that will make us over burdened with inside mids with Steele, Crouch and Ross but we just need to balance it up with enough outside run.

I'm not part of the anti-Ross club but feel he's the one most likely to feel the heat from Bytel as the season progresses.

Bytel has the look of the next Jack Steele to me. I reckon he's best 22 now and should be in every week. I know some think that will make us over burdened with inside mids with Steele, Crouch and Ross but we just need to balance it up with enough outside run.

I'm not part of the anti-Ross club but feel he's the one most likely to feel the heat from Bytel as the season progresses.
Bytel has gone past Ross
He offers such much more than Ross

Remove this Banner Ad

Back