Autopsy Round 4, 2021: St.Kilda v West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Forget nicnat and sheed- watch seagull kelly's reaction when he runs downhill the wrong way looking for a cheapie

so much this. wce gave up more for him, both in salary and trade collateral than Hill, yet Hill constantly cops it and Kelly is left untouched

Like this one, where dmac made him sh*t his pants

View attachment 1101546
Watching that again i am impressed by the nonchalance with which Dmac just took the rather lively pace that Kelly ran into him...I need those shockers on my car ...pretty cool...unperturbed, a couple of steps back and on with it......this game really ratchets up expectation on him now....the good thing he knows he's capable of brilliant useful input now...we know it, expect it, and now he knows it so thats a great outcome.

Like this one, where dmac made him sh*t his pants

View attachment 1101546

this is kelly in a nut shell, saw him do this countless times against my WAFL club.

which is what made that loss to WCE last year so frustrating when we used Ross as the tagger on him. Kelly just had it on a string, where as if you just dial up the physically on him a notch he will just dissipate into nothing.

The thing which makes Marshall so good is that he seems to have a ridiculously low centre of gravity for such a big man. Most tall players, even if they're super agile, can be a little bit wobbly on their feet and are more easily pushed off balance. But the way Marshall carries himself makes it look like he's about 175cm tall. Makes him super competitive in a marking contest, and even when he's contesting for ground ball he is very well balanced.

Not quite sure I've articulated that very well, but it's hard to put the thing in words.
No you put it well.

One way I’d explain it if people don’t understand is he’s like the opposite of Rhys Stanley.

Rhys could apparently bench press huge amounts but was like a Reindeer out there on the field: no strength below his shoulders. That’s why he gets bodied around out there so much.

Roma doesn’t get out bodied against anyone. Roma is the anti-Rhys Stanley.

this is kelly in a nut shell, saw him do this countless times against my WAFL club.

which is what made that loss to WCE last year so frustrating when we used Ross as the tagger on him. Kelly just had it on a string, where as if you just dial up the physically on him a notch he will just dissipate into nothing.

I loved Jones on him in the centre square. Caught him with the ball and Kelley gets up non plussed that he didn't get the usual noise of affirmation cheapie free.

Another time Jones collars him and Kelley is scragging his jumper as they get up. Jones completely ignores him as he question the ump why no hold the ball. As Kelley hangs on to Jones jumper he just looks at him like he hates his guts and with violent intent. Kelley s**t himself for the rest of the day. Thought he would feint with fear when confronted by DMAC :D :D :D

so much this. wce gave up more for him, both in salary and trade collateral than Hill, yet Hill constantly cops it and Kelly is left untouched

Kelly is “untouched” by the media in the east because it’s more a case of out of sight out of mind. But reading the Eagles board after the game, he certainly copped it big time from them. Not sure if the WA media puts heat on him though or not.

Bryce Gibbs is looking at this going “It’s ok Tim, I understand...”

I miss shitting my Carlton family members by calling him Bryce Squibbs. Only funny line I ever came up with....and I probably stole it.

Kelly is “untouched” by the media in the east because it’s more a case of out of sight out of mind. But reading the Eagles board after the game, he certainly copped it big time from them. Not sure if the WA media puts heat on him though or not.
Kelly being asked to do too much. He’s a classy player but difficult with not much support. He needs Yeo & Shuey back in the team. Redden & Sheed are s**t house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss shitting my Carlton family members by calling him Bryce Squibbs. Only funny line I ever came up with....and I probably stole it.
i think you may have stolen that from bigfooty. That’s where I saw it first come up.

I don't think it's just the ruck that cost us with our fill ins. Our mids were listless and lazy. The sting of the Essendon match seems to have been the kick up the arse they needed. It definitely helps having good rucks though
The only problem with that is when Carlisle rucked against the dons we did so much better than when mckernan rucked. 2 reasons I reckon. Carlisle didn’t give away frees and did more around the ground. That’s where rucks have real influence

Think kelly has much better form than hill at his new club. Amazing how one week can influence 2 or 3 years. Maybe go back to last years game against us. Some really do decide careers on one game.

Just looking at the 3rd/4th QTRs our work rate around the contest went up. We got our noses dirty. We went after the ball and if we didn't we went after whoever had it.

Work rate and pressure. Two simple things won us that game.
Not to detract from the win but, I felt like we were ahead with effort all game, but had to increase our effort to an extra (unsustainable) level to actually run over them.
First half was something like 40% to 90% kicking efficiency, we have to find ways to tidy that up or we’re not going to beat most finals sides on work rate and effort at the pointy end.
Also not sure what is going on with our forward structure but our F50 looked twice as full as theirs all night, that helps with kicking and scoring efficiency if there’s room for the forwards to lead into.

Not to detract from the win but, I felt like we were ahead with effort all game, but had to increase our effort to an extra (unsustainable) level to actually run over them.
First half was something like 40% to 90% kicking efficiency, we have to find ways to tidy that up or we’re not going to beat most finals sides on work rate and effort at the pointy end.
Also not sure what is going on with our forward structure but our F50 looked twice as full as theirs all night, that helps with kicking and scoring efficiency if there’s room for the forwards to lead into.
Our forwards don't lead for whatever reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back